• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Choprking

WELDERS -Read this!

31 posts in this topic

Good heads up! Thanks for posting it

I think the same goes for refrigerant r12

i quit using brake clean after i was rather stupidly spraying out some jets on a cb750 holding the emulsion tubes in my BARE HANDS.......warning do not do this......

the volotility of the contact on my skin immediately dryed and froze the skin on fingers and hands. within just a couple of minutes i couldnt remember what i was doing, didnt know the names of the two guys working with me and struggling to say my own name. speech diminshed and i just rambled. it fucked me up for a few hours. i didnt recognise my wife or remember her name. she is a nurse and when she found out what had happened she told me i was haveing a neurological moment. this is where the chemical is fucking up neuron transfer of information in the nervous system.

even though i had in the past used latex gloves and always do now since the accident i no longer use this chemical or carb clean in my shop. fuck it. the ugly reality is there are so many out there using this poison and spraying it around as if it was a dangerous as tap water.

i now use castrol super clean for all degreasing as it is a good water clean up agent. for quick clean small spot work i use electro-motive spray. it works just as good as brake clean or carb clean but is not flamable. i still respect the product and where eye and skin protection. just because it is not flamable it is still dangerous.

the neurological moment that i had from brake clean exposure was some scary shit.

Man, thats good lookin out. It's got to be a sign, I was using brake cleaner yesterday for something other than brake cleaning! Even if you don't weld, be careful with your chemicals. I would think that even grinding metal with these chemicals on the metal could be bad as well. Bill

Safety Alert! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Gas

Read this safety tip now, it just might just keep someone above ground.

"PHOSGENE GAS" holey mother of wmd's, crap thats bad shit. thanks for posting this I use the stuff all the time. same deal , if ive got no carb cleaner I use it.

post-3168-1248633773_thumb.jpg

hmmmmmm. just a word to the wise. just because someone has done something stupid with chemicals dont be peer pressured into ignoring the chemical warnings or cautions from those that have learned the hard way to respect the chemicals and safety uses of such.

thousands die each year by smoking and the warnings are written on all over the packages. so that is like saying ignore the evidence, dont be a pussy and smoke? no thanks.

thanks for the thread on this subject. it gave me a chance to reflect on my temporary injury with brake clean so i could share it with this group. many i am sure just like me have taken chemicals for granted and never thought how dangerous they really are. alot of these chemicals we injest each year are the kind that dont leave our systems but accumulate over time.

hmmmmmm. just a word to the wise. just because someone has done something stupid with chemicals dont be peer pressured into ignoring the chemical warnings or cautions from those that have learned the hard way to respect the chemicals and safety uses of such.

thousands die each year by smoking and the warnings are written on all over the packages. so that is like saying ignore the evidence, dont be a pussy and smoke? no thanks.

thanks for the thread on this subject. it gave me a chance to reflect on my temporary injury with brake clean so i could share it with this group. many i am sure just like me have taken chemicals for granted and never thought how dangerous they really are. alot of these chemicals we injest each year are the kind that dont leave our systems but accumulate over time.

It was a good post, Joe. Just not "manly" enough for some folks I guess. :ph34r:

John

im a firm believer theres a lot of this stuff that causes fibromyalgia , chronic fatigue syndrome, (gulf war syndrome), the over abundance of chemicals & chemical reactions we dont even know about. I never used to even wear rubber gloves cleanin off motors , Id never even thought bout heat causing another reaction.

I did check the label on the brake cleaner ive got it is at least different than the one posted.

first time i welded some galvinized door keeps for a truck the fumes made me so sick that i was throwing up and ended up passing out. i was sick for days. no one told me that you should try to weld through the galvinized coating. the next time i welded it i ground off the galvinized coating but it gets down in the metal and the fumes made me sick again.

i also learned that mig welding stainless steel hurts your lungs without proper venting. welding ss with a tig isnt as bad as mig. mig welding ss it vaporizes the ss and it lifts in the air then cools into micro beads and collects in your lungs.

saw a freind hit a halgon work light with some over spray of brake clean. it went up into flames and burned his arm pretty bad.

Edited by Timber

You also don't wanna breath IMRON. I got some Imron from a friend of mine and used it to shoot a bike in my garage. I was new to painting at the time and have always played fast and loose with warning labels. After sprating that shit and breathing some of it I had a cough for a year. It's been a good 8 years now and I still have a cough that I can't seem to get rid of. Of course I have used every other spray and solvent known to man and gloves were just never on my list.

I have to wonder what kind of damage I may have incurred over the years......I'm more careful these days

first time i welded some galvinized door keeps for a truck the fumes made me so sick that i was throwing up and ended up passing out. i was sick for days. no one told me that you should try to weld through the galvinized coating. the next time i welded it i ground off the galvinized coating but it gets down in the metal and the fumes made me sick again.

i also learned that mig welding stainless steel hurts your lungs without proper venting. welding ss with a tig isnt as bad as mig. mig welding ss it vaporizes the ss and it lifts in the air then cools into micro beads and collects in your lungs.

saw a freind hit a halgon work light with some over spray of brake clean. it went up into flames and burned his arm pretty bad.

Ive been hospitalized for cutting out old galvanized boilers with no ventilation.... I was a young apprentice at the time and didn't know any better lol... Cant even stand the smell of the stuff being grinded on these days... even the smell makes me sick... There is a good trick to welding gal that helps keep you from not getting sick and that's use a fan and drink a shit load of milk before and in between welding... for some reason this helps keep your body from absorbing the fumes that the fan cant blow away.....

This thread needs to be pinned. We still have people advising to use brake cleaner to clean surfaces to be welded, and it needs to STOP before we need a TCU honor guard for somones funeral.

Someone mentioned using Castrol Super Clean for a cleaning agent. I use it by the gallons, for paint stripping. Full strength Super Clean will remove paint overnight from plastic surfaces. I have not found a paint yet that it does not dissolve. So think about how strong this stuff is. We use it to clean everything but it eats paint. Puple Power cleaner does the same as Super Clean. Just thought I would throw this out there.

I've seen this article pop up a lot. I'm teaching myself to weld and on just about every welding forum, it's posted. I rather learn from other people's mistakes - I don't even own one can of the stuff.

ya i welded galv. pipe once when i was new to welding and had not professional training, didnt know better. got sick and it was hard to breath for a long time, and sometimes i still wonder if i ddid permanent damage.

ever sense ive been careful about what i weld, i use fans for ventilation, and i try to burn anything clean with map gas before i weld on it

Ok, so we all now know what not to do! Does anyone has suggestions on what can be used as a degreaser prior to welding (MIG/TIG)?

Thanks

I make my living as a nurse and have always been in the medical field since I was 14 years old. I joined the rescue squad in the explorer post many moons ago. As a nurse I have been trained in the art of surviving around many types of particulate air particles so Cover Your Ass. I have never bought but understand that a--- N95 mask--- can be bought at the home store, depot or such. I got a new 1 once a year and thus have accumulated a few. I wear it when I am welding or grinding, especially galvanized as I hate coughing up ,well, you know. I hate wearing a mask as much as the next guy but when it comes to the long term effects of respiratory disease its a small inconvenience. So remember CYA.

If ya really want to see what Brakleen can do, spray it on a bug crawling across the shop floor, or in a wasp nest.

I've never seen death happen so fast.

post-14739-1296080584_thumb.jpgjust to add my to cents, i am a trianed welder and have worked in a radiator shop on and off for years. when welding, cuting, or any other process that heat is used its always good to clean the surface. i use some dish soap and water to get what oil/gunk off i can, then grind, sand blast paint, rust, coatings(glav, cad,zink) off the best i can. but you will never get it all off and the best thing you can do is just keep your head out of the smoke!!!!!!!!! most guys dont weld a bunch at home so a clean air stystem is kind of out, but you can always open stuff up and/or go out side, stay up wind or use a fan, but always keep your head out of the smoke. and when you go to eat/drink wash hands and face the dust or over spray can be just as bad as the smoke.

SInce welding is kinda my main job I learned all those lil things form my teacher right out of highschool at the welding classes I had prolly the best teacher in my area. There are literally hundreds of ways to hurt yourself welding or fumes that are not good. this is why I was always told as a kid welding ages you by 20 years its kind of a old wise tale but then again my teacher always told me it came from the guys in the old days welding everything without knowing and they would look 60 when they were 40 the drugs they usaully did didnt help but mostly it was the lack of safety knowledge then.

I still use brake cleaner and carb cleaner on occasion. but a good sand blaster will save you wonders.

Once I learned this trick I quit dumping 10 dollars on carb cleaner every time I wanted to clean carbs or a enigine.

A really cool trick i wish I could say I thought of. Go get some clear surgical type tubing form lowes around 5/16th or 3/8th inch tubing. Then you really need a pistol type air gun for air compressors and you can get them at HB if you are cheap. The lil blow guns will work but not as well. Take the pistol style or modify your little one. The pistol style ones have a long metal tube with a lil pointed tip on the end where the air comes out.

Take the tubing you bought or had around the shop. Go about 2"-3" from the tip of the tube and take a ALL the pointed tipped thing that should be in your screwdriver box or use something with a point and poke a lil hol in the top side of the tube a few inches back. NOW insert the tip into that hole to where about 1/2" of the tip is in the hose by pushing it in the small hole you poked keeping it tight around the tip. NOW take some tape duct tape or any kind you have and tape around the tube and the tip of the airgun where you inserted it in the tubing making aure there are now leaks around the hole you perced in the tubing.

You are done now except for a quick run to the pantry or store get a big box of baking soda and then drop the opposite end of the hose into the baking soda box or dump a few boxes in a tall round container.

Once you turn on the air give the air gun a good shot of air running around 80-95 PSI. Hold it on for a second and wait if you taped it right and have the tubing setup as explained soon you will notice with your air comes a fine spray of baking soda through the clear tube. Now you got a 10-20 dollar soda blaster. Once you leanr this you will look for carbs to clean. It will remove about any surface corrosion without pitting even the softest of old casted parts. Will not hurt brass part or anything but it will strip a carb down within 5 minutes to a new factory finish. The use the air gun without your tube to clear all the left over soda out of the carbs or whatever you are cleaning. it can be messy but you can also do this on a tarp and run the soda thats on the tarp in a pile and re- use it a mesh screen helps to get the debris out of the soda powder.

There are tons of way to do this to create a cheap soda blaster. I have a 120 dollar 5 gallon jug of some sick ass carb dip and I rarely even use it now. I spray gnk cleaner the foamy kind on the carbs about 3-4 times in a lil sink I have then go straight to the soda blaster. people are amzed at how clean their carbs are. Now you know how to shine those old carbs up cheaply and without breathing cancer fumes and knock you on your ass fumes.

When I was showed how it worked I was like damn this is crazy. A old guy who works on european carbs form old porches and VW'S showed me this since allot of the carbs he rebuilds are beyond rare he can't take the chance to ruin them with chemicals or other hars ways. IT is also pretty easy on gaskets and orings really doesnt tear them up which most of the time they are not exsposed anyway.

I hope I made it easy to follow its so simple If you have a airgun with a nice long tip and some claer tubing and a box of soda you can make it in 5 minutes or less and start going. Next time you have gunky carbs try it. Maybe Next set of carbs I get in I will take picstures of before and after and then show the setup. To me it was a miricale I used to spend days cleaning carbs.

pics! sounds great i just have trouble following the written instructions. pics!

If you're going to do that, start another thread.

I've been a welder for 50 years....my own shop for the last 20 yrs.....My advice is, IF YOU ARE WELDING ON IT AND IT'S SMOKIN'....DON'T BREATHE THE SMOKE......I know this is not possible in all welding situations...If you have enough money to buy a welding machine, you have enough to buy a fan or an exhaust system....If you are talented enough to weld you can make some sort of system to get that smoke outta there...Welding outside in the breeze is my favorite......

.I use regular paint thinner, (mineral spirits) to degrease whenever possible....Cheaper than the hot stuff.......Not as fast as some of the hot solvents, but not as toxic either.....Steam cleaner, pressure washer, Joy soap and water will do the job without a lot of chemicals....When I use hot solvents, I put my glasses on and wear my long cuff rubber septic pumper gloves......and wash the part down with soap and water after.. Those small yellow pressure washers really save time and do a pretty good job..even with cold water...Your mileage may vary.........Good Luck and don't breathe the (wrong kind of) smoke.......Red

I kinda worry bout the fumes from that splatter spray im using so I put a small desk fan in front of the area. I got no info but if its a chemical and im cooking it id just soon play it safe.