• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Inked Monkey

How do you mount your electronics in a fake oil tank?

24 posts in this topic

I see alot of fake oil tanks used to hold all of the electronics, but how do you mount all the stuff inside it? i wouldn't think you'd just shove everything inside and call it good. I was thinking about making a plate that slides out to attach all the crap to. What does everybody else do?

Must do just that, stuff em' in there.

Weird, don't know if I like that. Mine would probably vibrate, short, then catch fire, knowing my luck.

I like to ply mine with liquor then quietly, ever so quietly, mount from behind.

I like to ply mine with liquor then quietly, ever so quietly, mount from behind.

Ha ha! nice

I make mine and mount the ign switch in the end cap, bolt through the tank for the solenoid and Lang wired this bike so he double stick taped the fuse panel in place. Plenty of room.

post-3689-1280437744_thumb.jpg

How much airflow should I give the stuff? Just drill some holes in the bottom or add a section of expanded metal?

I used electrical tape to seal all connection first. Then I cut an old tube into sleeves that slide over the pieces to insulate them. Then carefully packed the parts inside and used some high density foam to take up the extra space which for me wasn't much. That way everything is sitting on a tightly packed cushion.

How much airflow should I give the stuff? Just drill some holes in the bottom or add a section of expanded metal?

The reg/rec is the part that needs the air flow, under the battery box is an out of the way spot I use. None of the other parts need direct air flow or they would have cooling fins, although I wouldn't try and make the box air tight, the one pictured got two decent size holes in it top and bottom with grommets for cables to pass through.

I just built this reg/rec and didn't really want it exposed to the elements. That's why I started making this box. So far I have this tube with a plate that slides out to access the electronics. I'm just concerned with getting enough airflow to keep it cool. I can make some plates for the ends with scoops to draw in air, but I don't want to blow water in there when it rains. I have my stock stator cover that fits perfect, but would I need to drill some holes in the bottom for air?

post-11174-1280453481_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280453494_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280453506_thumb.jpg

I would think in a perfect world the best setup would be drill a couple holes in the bottom and make a opening in the top with a scoop facing backwards convection would do the rest.

That's probably what I'm gonna do. I have plenty of room

Is there a certain shape or size of tube that should be used on top in order to get the most amount of air?

I also thought about putting some little computer fans in the box to ensure airflow.

Is there a certain shape or size of tube that should be used on top in order to get the most amount of air?

I also thought about putting some little computer fans in the box to ensure airflow.

don't worry about the computer fans, this stuff isn't gonna get that hot.

find some one who does louvers and get some punched front and back

don't worry about the computer fans, this stuff isn't gonna get that hot.

find some one who does louvers and get some punched front and back

+1 on the fans

Here's how I decided to mount mine. The shelf that the electronics mounts to slides out, so you can change fuses and what not. Oh and with these two big ass openings, I don't think I'll have an issue with anything overheating.

post-11174-1280871251_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280871263_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280871282_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280871295_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280871307_thumb.jpg

dude, that's turning out great! very professional

Thanks. I'm happy with it so far. Just need to make a plate for the other side and mount it up.

Here's the finished box, just need to mount it to the bike and wire everything up.

post-11174-1280948336_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280948344_thumb.jpg

post-11174-1280948350_thumb.jpg

Nicely done, sir. :thumbsup:

Check out Metalho's 2009 BBO thread, specifically pages 2 and 5. He did a bang up job on his fake oil tank/electrical bag.

Why thank you Maxx. :D

I thinks ya did a bang up job Sir. Nothin in there is gonna over heat. :thumbsup:

That tank looks great monkey. Excellant job.

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I can get it all mounted and wired tomorrow.