• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VitalesChopShop

homemade english wheel

6 posts in this topic

a few months ago i found an online schematic for making a vice mounted English wheel out of some ford wheel bearings and tube steel. i entertained the idea of making one but i can't justify having one because i will use it on very rare occasions. has anyone made their own and is it worth the time to make one? this link isn't the original one i saw but the build is almost the exact same.

home made english wheel

well if you aren't going to use it much why make it? you can get away with just a hammer and dolly for the rare metal job. I'm a firm believer in having the right tool for the job, and so of course i try to have as many tools as possible. if you can do a good job and sell them after your done, it would be worth it. The harbor freight wheels and dies are pretty cheap, and dont have too much run out, so i would just make a metal frame and buy them.

there are 2 reasons i want to build it. first one is on the occassional sheet metal job i do i want to make sure it looks as good as possible. i've done the bag and hammer method and i can never smooth the metal out enough so i spend hours and hours and dollars and dollars trying to smooth them out to look good. the other reason is i just like to build stuff. any chance i get to break out the welder i'll take it.

The two things you need in an English wheel are stiffness in the frame, and a choice of radii for the "top" wheel.

Most home built frames won't have enough stiffness and only having one top wheel, sucks.

That said...

I built something similar, and as long as the curve of what you've hammered out matches the top wheel, it's a quick and easy way to planish out panels you've beaten out.

Forget putting any shape into anything though.

When you're trying to planish out by hand, are you using a stake anvil, or a hammer and dolly? Because a stake anvil makes it a lot easier.

For that "Mustang" tank I made, I used the bossing mallet clamped in the vice as a stake anvil and planished everything out on that.