• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
rustyhillbilly

Deathtrap

130 posts in this topic

Kool!!!I'm getting that cb400 tank from Mudd,too :thumbup1: It'll be next week before any of my stuff gets here.I wait semi-patiently...

So I scored a nice piece of leather to cover my seat,fer free :thumbup1:and decided to give it a whirl.I've done some leather work before,but never a seat.So,here we go...post-15841-0-19720100-1314450155_thumb.jHere's the pan...post-15841-0-90572400-1314450255_thumb.jSome of the leather I cut the lacing from...post-15841-0-15786000-1314450333_thumb.jI used two kinds of foam padding...post-15841-0-94279300-1314450420_thumb.jThe padding glued together and to the pan...post-15841-0-18784800-1314450482_thumb.jLeather glued down and trimmed to edge...post-15841-0-59734200-1314450559_thumb.j Lacing in progress...post-15841-0-12894900-1314450603_thumb.jFinished cover and lacing...post-15841-0-68934100-1314450697_thumb.jFinished and back on the bike.It's nice and comfy,too...The new seat cover makes the rest look like I need to do something to it....I'm still noodlin on what to do fer paint.We'll see,I reckon....

that turns out purty dang nice.

Thanks Jeep...I did some pocketbooks and sold em a few years ago so I had some idea of how to go about it.I cut and drilled the seat pan at school.Glad ya'll like it.You'll probly dig my new headlight idea,too.Ive got a sealed beam round unit I plan to find a bowl for to make the bucket.I'll post up pix when I get started on it.Should be fun!!!Later...

Well,I got my stuff in yesterday.I also got the head light put together.Here are some pix...

post-15841-0-67406400-1316804892_thumb.j

Sealed beam and 2 quart sauce pan...

post-15841-0-83106900-1316805038_thumb.j

Fits like it was made for it...

post-15841-0-06884400-1316805128_thumb.j

All mounted up.I had to weld some shims underneath the trim ring,which is from a '69 chevy truck,and made the lower mount all from stainless.That sauce pan is alot thinner than I looks...

post-15841-0-45780000-1316805356_thumb.j

All the parts.

post-15841-0-60052700-1316805425_thumb.j

The throttle and front brake...

post-15841-0-89376800-1316805505_thumb.j

Clutch lever...

post-15841-0-41364800-1316805584_thumb.j

The 12t sprocket...

post-15841-0-65599700-1316805694_thumb.j

I had to build a new tail pipe.The other one looked cool and sounded good but it didn't keep enough back preasure so I put this one together.Not really loud,but it has enough preasure to at least let it wind out.And the sprocket helped out a good bit

I also got a set of grips from Moose Racing but I ain't got the left hand side on yet on account of I don't know what direction I'll go with the bars.I'm still waiting for the tank I got from Mudd to show up so I can see what i want to do.The new cables are somewhat longer than needed with these bars but I have a little wriggle room with the bars.Just the new clutch and throttle make it all work so much better.

Next up is a new cdi unit and maybe a big bore kit.I noticed it smoking some today when I took it for a spin.The engine had set out-doors for x-years before I got it so the rings might be fried.That's an adventure for another day,however.Hope ya'll dig it so far.It won't be long till I'm ready to tear it down for paint and clean up.Ya'll know how it goes...Once ya get started,it never stops....

You stole the wifes sauce pan and made a headlight out of it, FANFREAKNTASTIC! If I hadn't seem the pics, I'd have never known. Now I gotta hit up all the thrift stores for the copper bottom pans.

You stole the wifes sauce pan and made a headlight out of it, FANFREAKNTASTIC! If I hadn't seem the pics, I'd have never known. Now I gotta hit up all the thrift stores for the copper bottom pans.

Yep...Believe it or not,it was her idea.I hunted for a stainless bowl that would work and couldn't find one,so she sacrificed this one.Worked out rather well,I think.

Love the headlight and the rest of the build. I must have missed it, but what did this start out as?

Well,the tank I bought from Mudd got here this morning.

post-15841-0-19281700-1316909213_thumb.j

It didn't take long to get the old tank off and see what it looked like...

post-15841-0-92802100-1316909452_thumb.j

Had to make a few adjustments

post-15841-0-74106400-1316909747_thumb.j

post-15841-0-76599700-1316909782_thumb.j

Scounged of some tubing and other scrap for the tank to sit on...

post-15841-0-01260100-1316909887_thumb.j

post-15841-0-60643100-1316909981_thumb.j

Used some rubber grips for isolators on the front mounts.The rear was just drill&tap action.

post-15841-0-03115800-1316910317_thumb.j

And here it is all mounted up and ready to ride...

I think it changed the whole look and feel of the bike.I had the bars mounted upside-down for that clubman look,but flipped em back over with this tank.I'd like to thank MynameisMudd for the tank...Much ablidged Bro!!!As usual,I found something else I want to change.I'm gonna start hunting for a rear wheel that will carry a bit bigger tire,there's room for more there.It looks sorta funny now with the tank and seat being this wide.We'll see how it turns out.Later,fellers...

Love the headlight and the rest of the build. I must have missed it, but what did this start out as?

Thanks...Which part?There's like three different bike frames put together.The motor is a 50cc pit bike mill I picked up for $20.The rear fender is from a 55gal. drum,I made the seat and covered it myself.One of the other guys on here refered to it as a death trap...Hell that's all part of the fun.It is truely scratch built form alot of junk,but i love it and would't have it any other way.

post-15841-0-27863900-1316912135_thumb.j

post-15841-0-31882300-1316912189_thumb.j

post-15841-0-69376800-1316912272_thumb.j

post-15841-0-00409400-1316912445_thumb.j

Edited by rustyhillbilly

Well,the wireless speedometer I picked up won't work.Actually,it works backwards.Sitting still,it shows I'm doing 48mph...when I take off,it 0's out.Oh,well...back to the drawing board.I'm on the hunt for a gear drive for a 21" wheel again.I've got a cable and the actual guage,just need the drive unit for the wheel.

I think the reason it won't work is because the spokes are too far from the forks.The sensor needs to be within 1/8" of the spoke to work,mine is more like 3/4-1".Ehh hell...Who needs a speedometer anyway,huh?

Well,the wireless speedometer I picked up won't work.Actually,it works backwards.Sitting still,it shows I'm doing 48mph...when I take off,it 0's out.Oh,well...back to the drawing board.I'm on the hunt for a gear drive for a 21" wheel again.I've got a cable and the actual guage,just need the drive unit for the wheel.

I think the reason it won't work is because the spokes are too far from the forks.The sensor needs to be within 1/8" of the spoke to work,mine is more like 3/4-1".Ehh hell...Who needs a speedometer anyway,huh?

You have to space them untill they are close enough to work. Just make some kind of spacer for tube forks I usually cut a length wise section out of a tube and tiewrap it to the slider then roll the sensor around the tube untill the clearance is right and tiewrap. I will read all funky until it recieves a useable signal and syncs up.

Dusty

I've decided to scrap the wireless speedo idea.I'm gonna get a gear drive for the one I have.

I've been riding it a bunch since I got the new parts on it.My choke was cutting on by itself due to a loose nut.after I got that tightened it dose much better,but still needs some help on the top end.I just put a new plug in and rode it a few miles but haven't pulled it out to get a read on it yet.Every time I get out on it,I find stuff to tighten back up.Now it seems my ignition switch is fugged up.I almost had to push it home earlier,but after some twisting and cussing it finally lit up.I guess I'll get it all fixed,after it all falls off and gets replaced or beefed up.Ah,yes...the joys of building my own bike...

:roflmao:

I've decided to scrap the wireless speedo idea.I'm gonna get a gear drive for the one I have.

I've been riding it a bunch since I got the new parts on it.My choke was cutting on by itself due to a loose nut.after I got that tightened it dose much better,but still needs some help on the top end.I just put a new plug in and rode it a few miles but haven't pulled it out to get a read on it yet.Every time I get out on it,I find stuff to tighten back up.Now it seems my ignition switch is fugged up.I almost had to push it home earlier,but after some twisting and cussing it finally lit up.I guess I'll get it all fixed,after it all falls off and gets replaced or beefed up.Ah,yes...the joys of building my own bike...

A couple of weeks ago,I ordered some stuff for the deathtrap and they didn't send the CDI.Well,yesterday a package came in the mail and low and behold,it's my delinquent CDI!!!It didn't take long to get it swapped out and down the road.It did make a noticeable difference,but that 3/4 throttle bog is still there.It does pull harder and makes it farther up hills before the need to down shift.I'm looking at a rejet,I guess.I've decided to ride it to school tomorrow to see how it does.I don't expect any problems,but you never know.I got ahold of a tin cigar box that is nearly perfect for the electrics and will probably put it on this weekend.Later fellers...

I put that box on and found a couple of bad wire connections which got fixed.I also addressed an issue with my home-made kickstand.It was floppin around and wanted to bury itself on anything short of concrete.I had to flip it down by hand,so I solved that with an old rusty wrench.As you can see,the sun is out and it's about 75 degrees...the gas tank is full,too...Guess what's about to take place?Here's a couple of pix with the box and the KS mods...Later fellers....i can feel the bugs slappin me in the face already... :4ride::nana:

post-15841-0-24734300-1318000536_thumb.j

post-15841-0-19954800-1318000560_thumb.j

post-15841-0-48573600-1318000586_thumb.j

Well,the ignition switch took a shit today.I tried a couple of switches I had laid up,neither of which worked.I ended up pulling the one off the smoker and making a patch cable of sorts so it would fit my harness.It works great,but space is tight and I mounted it temporarily until I can get a new one next week.Then my tail-pipe hanger bracket broke.Luckily I was still in the yard when I saw it.A few minutes with the grinder and drill and I had a new piece ready to weld in.I had a small length of tubing crammed into the pipe to try and add back pressure,it fell out while I had it off welding on it.I guess I should've pulled it out earlier cause it pulls much better now.All that's left is to rejet and it'll be done as done can be.At least until I find something else to fix or change....You know how it is.

"Done" is just a state of temporary completion.

Every time I make changes to the V, it's "done"

Until the next time I make it more "done".

"Done" is just a state of temporary completion.

Every time I make changes to the V, it's "done"

Until the next time I make it more "done".

Copy that,brother.I'm looking at a slightly wider rear wheel as we speak.It's from a cb450 and the one that's on it now is from an xr100r.It works fine,no gripes there,just looks narrower than I want with the new seat and tank.I hate that I'll be pulling a new tire off,but I'll use it somewhere else down the road.I'm thinking about a 130.There is plenty of room to still clear the chain.I may be able to go a bit wider but I don't want to go any taller if I can help it.I'll have to wait and see how the other wheel works out,I guess.We'll see.

That's the main attraction for me.It's a never ending process.I'm also planning on an engine upgrade as well.I just found out that in order for me to be able ride it legally it must be an automatic.Remember this is only 55cc's.I don't have a drivers license.So far I haven't had any issues with the law...yet.I just don't ride it thru town.A state trooper told me they worry more about the guts riding those 150 scooters with the marking pulled off or covered up than bikes like mine.

Believe it or not,I have some guys who are asking me to build them a bike like mine.that is why I'm pushing this one so far with parts and such.I have plans to build and sell this type of bike,mostly because there are alot of guys who can't get a license but don't want to ride the scooters.It's the same basic set-up,only looks more like a regular bike.Like I said,it's not just a bike to me,but a means to be able to ride what I want and not be so much of an "out-law".I grew out of that stage many years ago.

Sorry this is so long,but I had to get it out of my head.Having said that,I'm going to the dungeon to check on some stuff on the deathtrap.Thank for all the interest and support ya'll have shown,it lets me know I'm not just wasting my time,money and material.

Later,fellers...

Edited by rustyhillbilly

Well,the death-trap is about to get a heart transplant.Just ordered a new one.Me thinks the rings are bout gone in this one.I'm gettin oil on my sparkplug.I'll let you'uns know how the surgery goes...Later...

Well,the death-trap is about to get a heart transplant.Just ordered a new one.Me thinks the rings are bout gone in this one.I'm gettin oil on my sparkplug.I'll let you'uns know how the surgery goes...Later...

What ya putin in there doc?

A 70 with an automatic.I got hit up by a state trooper a few days ago.In NC,it has to have an auto or it requires tag and insurance.See'n as how it's still nearly two years till I can get my license back,I'm trying to stay under the radar so to speak.The trooper didn't give me a ticket,he was off duty and at my stepsons house next door.(his son is one of SS's buddies).Since I'm riding it to school,I need to keep it as legal as possible.Besides,I got the triple to make a monster out of.

I guess the leaves are bout gone up there,ain't they?Did I ask you before about the October cut off on bikes?I know when I was up there back in 88 that's how it was.

A 70 with an automatic.I got hit up by a state trooper a few days ago.In NC,it has to have an auto or it requires tag and insurance.See'n as how it's still nearly two years till I can get my license back,I'm trying to stay under the radar so to speak.The trooper didn't give me a ticket,he was off duty and at my stepsons house next door.(his son is one of SS's buddies).Since I'm riding it to school,I need to keep it as legal as possible.Besides,I got the triple to make a monster out of.

I guess the leaves are bout gone up there,ain't they?Did I ask you before about the October cut off on bikes?I know when I was up there back in 88 that's how it was.

Hell, I ride all winter if the roads are dry. Was out on the Shovel today, temps in the 50s, gonna be nice tomorrow prolly get out again then.

By automatic do they mean no shifter? Or no clutch? Might want to double check the laws.

Full automatic,brother.No clutch or shifter.Wont be too bad I don't think.I spoke with a guy with one like I ordered and he says it runs great and carries him around at 50 or so and he outweighs me by 30 or 40 pounds.We shall see,my friend,we shall see.If I like the way it runs out,I may see about bumpin' it up to a 110.Same cases and internals,just a different piston,jug and head/cam.I got a buddy that does engine boring and I'm thinking about taking the 50cc jug to him and see if he can punch it out to fit the 110 piston.oops,there goes that horse again...I think I found a guy to paint it for me ,too.If you're familiar with the Gravedigger,you'll get an idea of the style I'm after.He said he'd do it if I buy the paint.He's done some really nice rods and muscle cars so I feel purty good lettin' im spray it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, LOOKS GREAT!!!

Thanks,Hardrock!I have alot of fun with it and get alot of funny looks and questions about it.Several guys have mistaken it for an old trump.That makes me feel good,I mean it's just thrown together from junk parts.And a Triumph no less...