• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
rustyhillbilly

Deathtrap

130 posts in this topic

Bad news...no transplant.The "in stock ready to ship" motor ain't in stock.Go figure.I'm just gonna get a couple of jets and a switch and keep riding till it either blows or they get em back in stock.And the wheels go round and round..........

Been riding the piss outa this thing. To school and back every day(and night) as well as any other good excuse I can come up with. Last week, I rode home in the rain and the filter got soaked again. I pulled over and snatched it off and crammed it in my pocket, thinking I'd wait till I got home and dry it out,blah,blah,blah...To my surprise, It ran much better without the filter. Hmmm...so I cobbled another filter together from parts off an XR 100. I had to cut the top off a sock to cover it with but so far I've not had any problems. Funny how the filter that was supposed to be for that carb was too restrictive.

Now I have an issue with the crank case vent. I guess the original hose has passed it's last venting cause it ain't there now. I got oil all down the back of the engine and the electrics box. I made up a small catch can/vent filter I'm gonna try to hook up later tonight. I also repositioned my rear fender, got it down closer to the tire. Looks alot better, too, me thinks. I had to replace the switch for the rear brake light. Fortunately the one I put on to begin with had a year warranty and I'd only had it for a few weeks, it was an easy swap and only cost me a trip to Autozone.

I'm gonna do some shit to it, I'll get pix as I go along...Later fellers...

I got my catch can and vent tube put on...

post-15841-0-33317900-1321455167_thumb.j

Here's where all my oil was going...

post-15841-0-49987700-1321455247_thumb.j

Some of it even made it to the chain.

post-15841-0-11595000-1321455314_thumb.j

The catch can and a vent tube I robbed from an old xr100. I cut about 3" off the top of the can, drilled three 1/4" holes near the top and used an old compression fitting to attatch the tube to the can.

post-15841-0-72130900-1321455567_thumb.j

Made a mount from a piece of 308 tig rod.

post-15841-0-73410100-1321455660_thumb.j

All mounted up in it's new home...

post-15841-0-24617900-1321455742_thumb.j

The new dropped brackets for the fender. It snugged it to the tire more, which looks way better.

post-15841-0-30414400-1321456375_thumb.j

Fabbed this up from some scrap to put on the front end...

post-15841-0-74635800-1321456577_thumb.j

And here it is bolted in...

post-15841-0-12970500-1321456776_thumb.j

Here is what the fender looks like since I lowered it.

Later fellers........................

Well, the good news is, no more oil leaking down the back if the engine and the fork brace and new washers and spacers for the front wheel make for a better ride and tighter steering. While I had the front wheel and brakes off there was some fluid leakage. No damage, just no front brakes till I get some more fluid.

It ain't wanting to start after it gets cold.This is a recent development and I haven't had a chance to check and see what's what yet. I've been putting 20+ miles a day on her at least four days a week and have not had any major issues till now and this ain't really major. My welding instructor used me and this thing as a means of trying to encourage some of the other guys saying if I can build my own bike in class to ride to class every day, why ain't they able to get there when they have newer vehicles and shit. Humph...

Anyhoo, here are a couple of shots we took after I got home from school.It was only about 33*. I had on my coveralls and a jacket on the ride, These were right before I pulled her back into the dungeon fer the night.

post-15841-0-33994000-1321609875_thumb.j

post-15841-0-64031800-1321609915_thumb.j

Sooooo........you're becoming the teacher's pet ?

:roflmao:

very cool man i like the bike myself ... and the teach has a point some people want to do something with their life other people want it done for them

Sooooo........you're becoming the teacher's pet ?

:roflmao:

yeah, well there have been a few days when I was the only one to show up for class. He's made the statement several time how he wished he had a whole class of students like me. Most of them just waste rods and gas when and if they even turn a machine on. Me, I like to design and build stuff. That is what he is trying to impress upon those younger guys. One even said he wouldn't take a welding job if the shop wasn't air-conditioned. I keep telling them that working in the heat or in the cold is an occupational hazard and you gotta just get used to it. I guess they never had to nail shingles in the summer or form, place and finish concrete in the winter. One even complained of carple tunnel form playing his x box too much...Yeah, I might be the teachers pet, but I've already gotten a few job offers when I get through with this course. None of them have. I'm even thinking if taking a machining class. I have one English class next semester that is required for the welding, then there's nothing but welding for the rest.

Thanks Wizard... I really enjoy it. She ain't fast but she's steady. I get a lot of questions about what kind it is. Even had some guys on h-d baggers lookin' her over at the truck stop the other day. I told one of them he spent more for his factory custom primary cover than I had in my whole bike. Just then it started to rain, they all scrambled to get under the canopy and stay dry. I took the long way home.

I was just yanking yer chain. ;)

Seems a lot of the younger folks just don't get that you have to put in a hard days work to make it today. They think everything should be easy and given to them.

Ya get big kudos from me for going to school and bettering yourself.

I think this bike kinda exemplifies the site's motto. I'm a fan!

Ditto, I been sliently watchin learning and I gotta say IM bedazzled. THAT PAN HEADLIGHT KICKS ASS!

Ditto, I been sliently watchin learning and I gotta say IM bedazzled. THAT PAN HEADLIGHT KICKS ASS!

I want to know more about the trim ring... Did you have to make it out of something from the truck or did it just fit perfectly?

I want to know more about the trim ring... Did you have to make it out of something from the truck or did it just fit perfectly?

Nope, it fit like it was made for it. The headlight is an off the shelf sealed beam that would fit in any old jeep or pick-up. I hunted around trying to find a bowl it would fit in and ended up using the Ol'Lady's green bean pot...the handle was fucked up any how. The light fit like they were made for each other. It works well so I'm happy with it.

I really appericiate the compliments,guys. I makes me feel good coming from a bunch of guys that have built as nice a bikes as ya'll have. I just like to make shit work and create something from a pile of junk.

I did get the hard starting issue fixed. There was some gunk crammed up in the pick up in the float bowl. Now we're back to one kick starts, even when cold.

I'm workin' on making a saddle bag, also. I got an old carhartt jacket that I plan on chopping up for that. I'll put up some pix of it when I get it finished.

I really like the looks I get when people figger out that the bike is not a "showroom" specimen. I love it...Like the byline says, Chop What Ya Got...and I am...Later fellers, and thanks again.

yup pretty cool ride, I got a cb360 I am planing to start soon and like the shit out of some of your ideas...

Thanks Cliff...

I went out to get smokes earlier on 'er...somewhere along the way my tail light lens divorced us. I been toying with this old flashlight idea...I saw one of those old right-angle army lights used for a tag light and kinda borrowed it. I had an old tail light that the lens was busted in to pull the guts out of and a reflector from the yammy. A little filing and some creative language and viola...

post-15841-0-36735600-1321700397_thumb.j

The parts...

post-15841-0-24104500-1321700518_thumb.j

The pieces...

post-15841-0-12825100-1321700572_thumb.j

All put together...

post-15841-0-61043200-1321700628_thumb.j

And working.

It turned out purty good, I think. How well it holds up is another story altogether...We'll see, I reckon. Thanks fer lookin'. Later fellers

Dude, you never cease to amaze. Really.

Thanks guy...your kind words mean a lot to me. I enjoy doing stuff like this, it helps me stay sane...uh, yeah sane....I started this bike before I found TCU and joined. I've gotten a lot of inspiration and ideas from other builds. This place shows that any body can build their own bike and not have to have a huge shop and high end tools and equipment to do it, although it's nice to have the use of such things. All I have is a collection of files, a hack saw,sawzall,grinder and a few hammers and a cheap-ass welder. I'm working on getting some better equipment but, as everyone knows, good tools ain't cheap. It'll come, I'm sure. I didn't have any of what I have now a little over a year ago. It takes a while to recover from years of being a drunk. It's all good, though.

Maxx, which end of Va. are you on?

I'm about +/-50 miles North of Richmond and +/-50 miles South of DC, not close to anything but too close to everything.

I'm about +/-50 miles North of Richmond and +/-50 miles South of DC, not close to anything but too close to everything.

my younger sister just moved up by richmond some where I'll have to get the name of place and get my bro-in-law on here to build a bike he does like to ride when has time.

I'm gonna start callin' this thing monsoon. The last three times I have taken off on it I've got flooded. Not just a drizzle, no gentle rain of shower, I mean a flat out down fucking pour. Motors don't like to run with water being poured in 'em either. When I left for school, the sun was out and it was 73* without a cloud in sight. Twenty minutes before I was ready to leave, the bottom fell out of it. Right after I got in the house and got the door open down stairs and roll the bike inside...wouldn't ya know it quit. I've got to figger out some way to keep the filter dry(ish)...

dude!

good job on your ride ... - black tank looks much better than the initial one

the details really make that bike special

congrats!

dude!

good job on your ride ... - black tank looks much better than the initial one

the details really make that bike special

congrats!

Thanks,man...I really enjoy making parts for it. She gets me to school and back every day, rain or shine. Moves a little slower on the rainy day but still goes. I'm about to do some coil swapping and see if I can get a hotter spark. That and some carb tweekage, but that's neither here nor there. I know I can fire it up and go when I need to, so I'm happy with it. I'm looking at maybe doing a re-ring in the spring, maybe even a big bore kit. We'll see I guess.

Well' I had to back up and punt on the flash light tail/brake light. It worked fine but shakes so bad I can't keep a bulb in it. I put the light from my Yammy on it for now until I can pick up an LED for it. Now if I can get the weather to cooperate and stop raining on me every time I crank it up...

Well' I had to back up and punt on the flash light tail/brake light. It worked fine but shakes so bad I can't keep a bulb in it. I put the light from my Yammy on it for now until I can pick up an LED for it. Now if I can get the weather to cooperate and stop raining on me every time I crank it up...

That tail light is awesome! I'm trying to do a military themed bike so i really like that idea.. i might have to steal it to make something differet. You got some great ideas.. keep building!