• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Outlaw1640

expanding exhaust tube

18 posts in this topic

i often need to expand a small section of xhaust tubing to make a slip fit. i have tried those pos screw ones but they suck and wont get the job done. i knew a guy a while back with an elctric hydroluc version but cant seem to find any onfo on them anyone know wht im talking about now im thinking about making one any thoughts

The only powered ones I have seen are the great big ones at a muffler shop. I would think that the hardest part would be to not cause flat sides in the tubing where your dies are expanding. I'm interested in seeing what you come up with

This is what I am talking about. Not really affordable unless you are really making alot of exhausts.

yeah that is awsome the oldtimer had one the was pretty small and mountes on top of a bench i have a plan i think.may work using thise chep screw ones as the dies using a hydrolic pull cylinde im.gonna start gathering parts and see whati can come up with

How bout a simple push/pull hydraulic cylinder with a.steel mandrel on the ram? Should be able to mount it on a piece of two by four. 120" and have it be plenty strong. I can sketch it out for ya if you want, I just want a cut if ya start selling them for big bucks!

Edited by shovelbyslime

The muffler shop here in town has 2 types of expanders

....one which leaves the flats in the tube, the other that clamps and pushes over a (swedging?) mandrel, which works great

ive got a cheapo, not the best.

thinkin these work better?

http://www.nextag.com/Lisle-LIS34400-1-5-78997276/prices-html

lis.gif

Lisle - Pipe Expander

Part # 32750

Line: LIS For Pricing and Availability, enter your zip code. Show Stores

Loading... orly_32750c.jpg.

yeah i have seen those but at that price i still dont think it will do what i want the cheap on you have pictureed is what i have an it sucks

How bout a simple push/pull hydraulic cylinder with a.steel mandrel on the ram? Should be able to mount it on a piece of two by four. 120" and have it be plenty strong. I can sketch it out for ya if you want, I just want a cut if ya start selling them for big bucks!

Kinda what i have been thinking my tenative plan is to get one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-psi-air-hydraulic-pump-98318.html

one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ton-pull-back-ram-97207.html

and one of these

http://www.harborfreight.com/medium-tail-pipe-expander-37353.html

Plan is to use the pull ram mount it to a steel frame using the cheap screw expander as the die but instead of screwing it will be pulled my the ram which is powered my the pneumatic pump as far as the flat spots i think the key to that is to stretch a little and twist stretch a little and twist keeps the flats out anyone see a reason this wont work?

If your gonna.go with a ram, just go with a double action, that way you can just drive the mandrel in and pull it out. Ya should be able to spin out a mandrel out on the lathe in a few minutes, thread in internally to fit the ram and ya should be in business.

post-14456-0-91977600-1317781246_thumb.j

post-14456-0-22345900-1317781287_thumb.j

Edited by shovelbyslime

If your gonna.go with a ram, just go with a double action, that way you can just drive the mandrel in and pull it out. Ya should be able to spin out a mandrel out on the lathe in a few minutes, thread in internally to fit the ram and ya should be in business.

welp , ive been wanting a log splitter, should be an easy mod!

http://www.nextag.co...276/prices-html

lis.gif

Lisle - Pipe Expander

Part # 32750

yeah i have seen those but at that price i still dont think it will do what i want the cheap on you have pictureed is what i have an it sucks

If you STP the expander and threads before every use it sucks a little less.

Dusty

welp , ive been wanting a log splitter, should be an easy mod!

Pretty much the same idea but the clamp to hold the pipe on pull. Should be an easy build, really shouldn't take that much force to swedge the end to the correct size. If you could figure out how to clamp the pipe solid you could just make a mandrel for your shop press and drive the mansrel out from the other end when the pipe was expanded. It would all depend on how much you were gonna use it, for production work the hydraulic set up would be the cats nutz, but for one or two uses a year it would be overkill.

Even with the big ones.....like the muffler shop ones......you still have to rotate a couple times to avoid the flat spots. Nature of the beast.

The solid ram ones...Like Billy mentioned......are the only way to avoid the rotating of the tube.

only real problem i see with the solid ram type is every size and amount of stretch would require another die that could get to be a pain having to rotate the tube really doesnt seem like a big deal to me

only real problem i see with the solid ram type is every size and amount of stretch would require another die that could get to be a pain having to rotate the tube really doesnt seem like a big deal to me

I agree...it's not a big deal to me either. We had both types at the shop I worked in and I used the expander way more than I did the ram.

turn a lead in like a plumbers swaging tool ob the right size 1/2 in drive socket, then press or pull with all thread. doit a lot,works great. don't forget to lube.

http://www.nextag.com/Lisle-LIS34400-1-5-78997276/prices-html

lis.gif

Lisle - Pipe Expander

Part # 32750

$82 at Walmart? LOL