• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
rustyhillbilly

Unmolested

129 posts in this topic

Never had one singing music before, not sure what would cause that. ;)

I'm stoked about it.I need to go get some gas before I run a test on the reg.I also need to bounce over to the triples site and do some research on the carbs.She ain't wanting to run without the choke on,well not idle any way.Hopefully it'll be something simple.Later...

If ya gotta run the choke, she's starvin for gas. May need to clean carbs, set floats and possibly rejet.

If ya gotta run the choke, she's starvin for gas. May need to clean carbs, set floats and possibly rejet.

They're clean but I didn't check the float level(s).The jets are 130s,the stock ones as I understand it.She's got pods and stock pipes w/the baffles still in place.What I really need to find out is if I can use a common or frame ground to do the test on the reg unit.The manual says the plug should have three wires and I only got three.I would think a ground is a ground,right?I don't want to fry it if it's good,ya know?

They're clean but I didn't check the float level(s).The jets are 130s,the stock ones as I understand it.She's got pods and stock pipes w/the baffles still in place.What I really need to find out is if I can use a common or frame ground to do the test on the reg unit.The manual says the plug should have three wires and I only got three.I would think a ground is a ground,right?I don't want to fry it if it's good,ya know?

Stock pipes and pods, ya shouldn't have to change jets, but I could be wrong. Ya might try turning the air screws in 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if that makes a difference. I'm confused on the plug thing....ya say it needs 3 and you got 3?

Actually,the book shows three,the bike has two.Turns out I can use the frame ground to run the test.One of the fellers over on the triple site helped out with the info. :thumbup1: I'm fixin to go do that thang.I'll holler at ya'when I figger something out.

Well,I must say,this thing is mean as hell.She idles okay with the choke on,not so good off.I'm quite sure I can get that straightened out,eventually.Pulls hard too...I found out why there's header wrap on the mufflers.They're leaking like a seive.But,by damn,SHE'S RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so happy I could just about shit!Anybody else get this stoked up when they get a bike ta'workin'?I don't know if I'm doing the test on the reg right or not.If I am,then it's not right.I'm gonna see if I got it grounded good and re-check it.I know it ain't charging the battery right,I had it fully charged when I fired her up and took off on 'er earlier and there wasn't enough juice to turn the motor over after three or four laps from here to the end of the road and back.We'll see I guess.

She sure looks good out in the sun light.It's good to step back more than a couple of feet and get some of the big picture.Speaking of which,here's a couple of her out in the daylight...I'll holler at you'uns later.I got some work to do and some stuff to glooglieize...

post-15841-0-16637400-1319217251_thumb.j

post-15841-0-54648600-1319217276_thumb.j

post-15841-0-27037700-1319217303_thumb.j

if it keeps griefing you, get a chopper wiring diagram and throw that old harness away. i know its best to get er running first ......but dam

The idling is in the carbs.They need to be dialed in right.After I'd got it warmed up good the idling seemed to level out somewhat.The harness is good,all the bad spots have been fixed.Now it's just an issue of making sure all the grounds are clean.The bracket where the reg/rec mounts is a bit rusted so I'll probly either clean it good or mount the unit some other place.It is a pain to get to the bolts where it's at.

As for the harness,I have a stripped down diagram that Bonehead sent to me and I plan to cut mine down later on when I start the frame mods.This has been an exercise in getting the bike to run.I wanted to make sure it would do what it is suppoesed to do before I got to the trouble and expense of building the bike.She runs and runs well for a 32 year old bike with 31,800+ miles on it.I'm well pleased with it thus far.I gotta bleed the brakes finish the signal lights,do some stuff with the exhaust system and get the carbs straightened out.I ain't planning to ride it much more than out to the end of the road and back.at lest not untill I get it to working 100%.I plan on having fun with this bike as long as I'm able to do so.After all,ain't that what it's all about?

I got the idling figgered out,just needed to adjust the idle setting,simple as that.About the time I got that straight,she popped a fuse.And another,then another.I guess I need to figger that out,now.It is probly a short somewhere.Funny thing is,she'd been running for a while then popped the fuse.I don't know yet,I'm cooking supper now(pork tenderloin w/taters and carrots in the crockpot....mmmmm) so I might not get to it for a bit yet.If I can't find the short,I'll most likely pull and strip it as per the diagram brother Bonehead sent me.I might even have enough wire laying around to do a whole new piece.I'll see,I guess.Later...

I think I found my problem.The wires coming from the stator were down on the pipes and melting.Damn.I hope it didn't fuck up the generator parts on this thing.There's a plate that is supposed to keep it from doing that,but it's bent up enough to let the wires flop out and make contact with the pipes.The fun part will be trying to put new wire in and getting it hooked back up and working.

you should be able to go back and solder on new ones, but think they should be high temp wire, can you just pull it back shorten it enough to get past the warm part of the motor.?

Yeah,that's just what I did,and got it all put back in place like it should be with the guard plate straightened up and back in place.I must've done something right,the smoke stayed in 'em all.

Then I got started on this...

post-15841-0-06117100-1319399774_thumb.j

I can say from first hand experience,32 year old,rusted exhaust pipes are so much fun to weld on...

post-15841-0-26941900-1319399918_thumb.j

post-15841-0-90023500-1319399946_thumb.j

post-15841-0-68075600-1319399975_thumb.j

It took me a while but I eventually got it put back together...

post-15841-0-92951900-1319400056_thumb.j

Someone in the past thought that header tape was for fixing holes in mufflers.That's all that was holding this side together.The other don't feel like it's broken completely in two but it is leaking.I just ain't took it apart yet to see.At least I got 'er back to running and not cooking wires.

I took a look at those TC Bros. universal kits last night.Looks like I can use one to do mine with,Just need to fab a plate for the final drive to bolt to.That,my friends is an adventure for another time.Later fellers...

Got a vid of me running her down the road and back....My link It's short and sweet,but here it is....

Edited by rustyhillbilly

Yesterday,before school,I thought I'd run another check on the charging system since the repair I'd done the other day.She fired up good and began to idle really high almost immediatly,like north of 4000!Then she just shut down.Stone cold quit.I was in the early stages of coming unglued when a small,dim light bulb went off back in the cobwebs....duh.No gas.I stopped and got a couple gallons on my way home from school so I should be good.Had me worried fer a minute or two...

She sounds good, man.

Must be time to start choppin' ;)

Yeah,it's gettin' close...I'm figgerin on a jig of some type,whatever I can fab up.I don't want to take any chances with this one.I got lucky on the deathtrap,it all came out straight.I got a line on some steel scrap I think I can build something servicable from.I won't be able to get the kit fro TC Bros. for a bit any way,so I'm not in a really big hurry.I got to rebuild the brake calipers on the front,too.The left side siezed up on me last night,didn't lock just clamped down enough to make the rotor good and hot.I dropped her back to one side for now,it's not locking up(yet...)I'm already looking into getting different mc's front and rear and rebuilding all three calipers,may even go with stainless lines.All that is farther down the road,though.I'll holler at you'uns later...

She sounds good, man.

Must be time to start choppin' ;)

yep sounds like she's a runner it's time to fire up the sawsall :thumbup1:

I'm collecting shit to build a "jig" out of.Between that and getting the parts I'll need,it might take a while to actually get to that point.I've looked at a few different bikes and most that are rigid still have the swing arm in the mix.I want to eleminate it on mine.It might be a little more work,but like I said,I'm not in that big a hurry to get it done,I can afford to take my time.I still got a few mechanical issues to iron out,get the #3 carb fixed and figger out the charging thing.I ain't had to spend alot on it other than some wire and connectors so I'm in good shape there.It's mostly a logistics thing right now,just getting all the junk piled up in one place at one time.That and I need to straighten the dungeon up and rearrange some shit so I can put the jig down there.Stay tuned....

Damn,My modem at home has been busted fer a few days.I should have things back up and running in a day or two.No real news on anything,just been out of it and dealing with the Ol'Lady being sick.I'll holler as soon as I get my shit back on line at home....having to steal some time from class right now...Later fellers...

Was wondering where you disappeared to.

Well, I'm back in bidnuss. Still ain't got nuthin done to the bike,just wanted to touch base and see what I've missed.

Well, I'm back in bidnuss. Still ain't got nuthin done to the bike,just wanted to touch base and see what I've missed.

Well, I suck. Jeep's still whacked. Boner/Rider still thinks that goats are trying to take over the world. Oh......and Maxx still gets pissed when some moron breaks the rules. Pretty much nothing has really changed, 'sept I did change my drawers the other day.

Bout what I figgered...I'm thinking of using square tube for my rear frame. My welding instructor seems to think it will be as strong,maybe stronger. I know it's a bit lower priced, which is always a good thing. I have access to plenty of plate to use for gussets, too, so it should be plenty strong. Still gathering materials for a jig as well.