• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
rustyhillbilly

Unmolested

129 posts in this topic

Bout what I figgered...I'm thinking of using square tube for my rear frame. My welding instructor seems to think it will be as strong,maybe stronger. I know it's a bit lower priced, which is always a good thing. I have access to plenty of plate to use for gussets, too, so it should be plenty strong. Still gathering materials for a jig as well.

There ahs been a fair amount of talk about this very subject, the concensus seems to be that the square tube is weaker than round. How much weaker I don't know. My thought would be rectangular tube would be a better option, would look cool as hell too.

Well, I'm back in bidnuss. Still ain't got nuthin done to the bike,just wanted to touch base and see what I've missed.

Well, I suck. Jeep's still whacked. Boner/Rider still thinks that goats are trying to take over the world. Oh......and Maxx still gets pissed when some moron breaks the rules. Pretty much nothing has really changed, 'sept I did change my drawers the other day.

Boner/rider?? I'm not sure I'm not offended by that......LOL.

Bout what I figgered...I'm thinking of using square tube for my rear frame. My welding instructor seems to think it will be as strong,maybe stronger. I know it's a bit lower priced, which is always a good thing. I have access to plenty of plate to use for gussets, too, so it should be plenty strong. Still gathering materials for a jig as well.

There ahs been a fair amount of talk about this very subject, the concensus seems to be that the square tube is weaker than round. How much weaker I don't know. My thought would be rectangular tube would be a better option, would look cool as hell too.

I figger if I go with maybe 0.125" wall or better and use plenty of braces and gusseting I'll be good.But, like I said before, I'm just thinking(which has led to some not so good things in the past). Still may go with the TC Bros. pre-fab universal kit.

I've looked at several other XS 750 chops that were done with stringers ran down to the swingarm,but they didn't really look too hot to me,kinda unfinished looking.I know it will probly add to the amount of work to be done,but that's cool too.Seeing as it'll be a little bit before I need to have her road worthy,I can stand to spend some time on it.

Well, I'm back in bidnuss. Still ain't got nuthin done to the bike,just wanted to touch base and see what I've missed.

Well, I suck. Jeep's still whacked. Boner/Rider still thinks that goats are trying to take over the world. Oh......and Maxx still gets pissed when some moron breaks the rules. Pretty much nothing has really changed, 'sept I did change my drawers the other day.

Boner/rider?? I'm not sure I'm not offended by that......LOL.

You're just confused, I guess it's time for your mother and I to have "The Talk" with you. :nana:

Actually, maybe I,m the one that's confused.....I keep thinking,"Where the fuck did Rider go?!" Then I have a moment of Divine Clarity and go........OH YEAH. :roflmao:

Well, I thought I'd fool around with her a little last night. These vacuum petcocks are a pain in my ass. I have found a small write up on converting them to manual, non-vacuum valves. They don't leak outwardly, but they do let gas trickle down into the carbs, causing them to flood. I'll snap a few pix of the conversion and post 'em in case anyone else is interested or has a similar issue.

I'd thought about getting a different tank, but I like the look and shape of this one. It also has dual drops from both sides of the tank, like a reserve reserve. Between that and getting the #3 carb straightened out are the only big issues at hand for now. I'm still working on getting jig of some sort made for when I get ready to cut into the frame. Later fellers...

Well, I thought I'd fool around with her a little last night. These vacuum petcocks are a pain in my ass. I have found a small write up on converting them to manual, non-vacuum valves. They don't leak outwardly, but they do let gas trickle down into the carbs, causing them to flood. I'll snap a few pix of the conversion and post 'em in case anyone else is interested or has a similar issue.

I'd thought about getting a different tank, but I like the look and shape of this one. It also has dual drops from both sides of the tank, like a reserve reserve. Between that and getting the #3 carb straightened out are the only big issues at hand for now. I'm still working on getting jig of some sort made for when I get ready to cut into the frame. Later fellers...

you can convert them , cept I dont remember how.

you can convert them , cept I dont remember how.

As I understand it, you have to take them apart and switch some parts around inside. It reverses the settings making off on and so on.Reserve stays in the same place, though. Like I was saying, I found a write-up on another site that I'm gonna try to follow. His don't have pix, I plan to document it when I do it. If it works out and don't leak, I'll share it, If it don't I'll just bitch about it.

I laid hands on some stuff to use for a jig/table. I'm gonna start on it tonight at school. I'll get some pix as I can and put them up. Later...

I got my jig finished tonight and had a buddy tote it home for me. I got to drill and tap four holes to anchor the legs on. I got the parts from the scrap pile at school and used the welder there. Might as well, I paid for it. The metal is some industrial storage racks, rated for 5000 lbs. They had been dropped off at the shop a couple of years ago. They were quietly rusting away and the prof. said if I thought I could do any thing with them to have at. I did...it turned out rather well, especially for the price...I'll snap some pix after I get the legs mounted up...later...

Alrighty then...as promised, here is my home made jig/table...

post-15841-0-67965700-1322033473_thumb.j

post-15841-0-68288800-1322033505_thumb.j

post-15841-0-95113100-1322033527_thumb.j

post-15841-0-07103000-1322033560_thumb.j

post-15841-0-05280500-1322033589_thumb.j

post-15841-0-60568600-1322033611_thumb.j

It's good and sturdy and I can weld to it for leveling and support props as well as the rear stanchion for the rear wheel ( I still gotta make that next week).

It's light enough that I can scoot it around by myself but getting the bike on/off will require some help. I plan to try and have the yammy on it tommorow so I can start the tear down on 'er.

So? Wha'cha think guys? Reckon this'll work? Have to wait till tomorrow to see cause I'm hittin the hay... been up and running since 4:30 this a.m., I'm bout beat...

Alrighty then...as promised, here is my home made jig/table...

post-15841-0-67965700-1322033473_thumb.j

post-15841-0-68288800-1322033505_thumb.j

post-15841-0-95113100-1322033527_thumb.j

post-15841-0-07103000-1322033560_thumb.j

post-15841-0-05280500-1322033589_thumb.j

post-15841-0-60568600-1322033611_thumb.j

It's good and sturdy and I can weld to it for leveling and support props as well as the rear stanchion for the rear wheel ( I still gotta make that next week).

It's light enough that I can scoot it around by myself but getting the bike on/off will require some help. I plan to try and have the yammy on it tommorow so I can start the tear down on 'er.

So? Wha'cha think guys? Reckon this'll work? Have to wait till tomorrow to see cause I'm hittin the hay... been up and running since 4:30 this a.m., I'm bout beat...

I think you're going to need to recreate that and sell it to me. Can you fill that order by March? :D

Probly so...there are plenty of those rails. Lemme know fer sure so I can lay 'em out.

rusty dude, glad i caught you in time . you dont wanna use that spindley jig why hell it looks like itl cave in with any weight on it . dont chance it, put it on a fraight truck headed to my place and ill despose of it safely.

I'm feeling like Chuck Yeager...I may just chance it. If it gets too hairy, I'll yell at ya'.....

I am serious about you making one for me, but not sure how to get it to PA if I buy it from you.

My brother came by and got drafted into lending a hand and we got the old girl up onto the stand and strapped down. I gotta get the pipes off so I can level the frame to it. Enclosed you'll see how close I got it, just used my tape measure.....

post-15841-0-26475000-1322119807_thumb.j

post-15841-0-70463100-1322119840_thumb.j

post-15841-0-16310900-1322119886_thumb.j

It has turned out purty good so far...Got to do some safety work before I can do any more pulling...I got some ideas about some creative parts managment with some of the stuff I cut out of this thing. No chopping till it's secured to the jig. later.....

I got her welded to the jig and the pipes pulled off and cut the mufflers off. Camera batteries died so I can't get the pix tonight. I think getting soaked the last three times I rode has caught up with me. I'm getting a sore throat and feel like a turd with the shit slung out of it. Bad as I hate it, I may have to give it a rest fer the night.

My step son had a couple of batteries so here we go...

post-15841-0-53483800-1322204779_thumb.j

Got it level and welded down.

post-15841-0-75714300-1322204214_thumb.j

Lotsa room under there with no pipes...6 1/4" to be exact.

post-15841-0-80245000-1322204311_thumb.j

This is what the header wrap had covered up.

post-15841-0-11649100-1322204380_thumb.j

All that's left of the pipes, the best part of 'em anyhow...

post-15841-0-65145700-1322204462_thumb.j

just noodlin'... I my go some where with them like this later. I want to get the frame mods done first and then make the pipes fit. Later fellers...

Edited by rustyhillbilly

You ever heard the old saying that once you become a pickle you can never go back to being a cucumber? Well, now she is a pickle....

post-15841-0-43464900-1322271799_thumb.j

past the point of no return. (finally)

post-15841-0-37690600-1322271943_thumb.j

got an ideer bout using this... we'll see how it works out.

I'll holler at ya'll later. I got choppin' to do...

I think I'll use the top rail like so...

post-15841-0-19578200-1322275441_thumb.j

They are the right length, or near enough to work...

post-15841-0-06130100-1322275536_thumb.j

the other side...

post-15841-0-85760000-1322275603_thumb.j

from the back.

Any reason why this won't work? It is the factory tube and will save some cash...Thoughts or ideas?

I got the rails cleaned up and tacked in for effect. I'm thinking I'll drop the post down and maybe knock the multi-backbone out. I'm gonna have to check to see how much room I have before it gets into the top of the motor and carbs. Here's what it looks like:

post-15841-0-64116900-1322297746_thumb.j

post-15841-0-36920100-1322297774_thumb.j

If I do it like this, I'll have to make some plates of some sort. The right side of the swing arm has a pinch clamp for the axle bolt. I will have to incorporate that into the mix some how. Since it is a shaft drive there is no need for any adjustment, of course. I don't know yet if I'm gonna go this route or not but I plan to explore it before I buy any thing. We'll see I guess... Later fellers...

I got the drive shaft pulled out of the swing arm. It looks much cleaner without it to me. I'll be working on some sort of plates for the rear axle tonight at school and will try to post some pix then... Later fellers......

Well, after much grumbling and growling I've come to the conclusion that I don't have enough material to do this right so I'll have to wait till I can get a kit. I checked with the local supplier and I can't bet the shit to do it with for what I can order the TC Bros. kit for. I'm checking with Cycle one to see if they can help out with a kit but I haven't heard from them yet. We'll see how it plays out, I reckon.

Well, after much grumbling and growling I've come to the conclusion that I don't have enough material to do this right so I'll have to wait till I can get a kit. I checked with the local supplier and I can't bet the shit to do it with for what I can order the TC Bros. kit for. I'm checking with Cycle one to see if they can help out with a kit but I haven't heard from them yet. We'll see how it plays out, I reckon.

You really need to slug your joints when you connect your hardtail. There's a great write-up on how to do this here>>slugging tube joints

Oh, and good luck! You're making great progress.