• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
rustyhillbilly

Unmolested

129 posts in this topic

That's what I know... And why I'm not gonna fool with trying to use this stuff I got, just not enough to do the job without having to make to many joints in places where they don't need to be. I thought I could use what I had and get by with it but i don't feel safe doing that. I'll just have to wait till I can get the right shit to finish the frame. Maybe I'll work on the forward controls or something else until I can get the material I need. Fortunately I don't have to worry about getting the engine running or any major mechanical issues.

I've decided I'm going to stretch the tail out a little bit. How much remains to be seen. With the shaft I don't want to go very far with it. I can have it machined at school if need be. The trick will be finding a piece of tube that will work with the shaft diameter. I've made shortened and stretched drive shafts for trucks and other 4x4s in the past so I have a good idea of what to do.

Sorry if I'm long winded, I have onone here to talk bikes with. When ever I start talking about anything like this I usually get either blank stares or really confused looks. Not many folks in my immediate area want to even change the oil in their bike, much less make any modifications to them. The biggest mod most of them make is some chrome do-dad they stuck on it. For me, It's about the challenge of doing the work myself, taking something that was never intended to be used on a bike and adapt it to what I need. I'll run myself nuts trying to make it before I'll go buy it. But, ya'll are the same way, that's why I like it here...

I think you'll find that a piece of 3/4"-.120 DOM will fit real nice on that driveshaft. :thumbsup:

Most everyone around my area either has a crotch rocket or a goldwing. Even had a guy on a shiny HD give a thumbs up and yell "Nice Harley!" while on my xs tracker when I still had the Heritage airbox covers!!!!!! Good luck on your build, love to see triples

I think you'll find that a piece of 3/4"-.120 DOM will fit real nice on that driveshaft. :thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking, just hadn't put the calipers on it yet. I'll probly just go 3 or 4". I don't want a big gap between the motor and rear tire. The only reason I'm gonna stretch it is cause I'm long legged and don't want to be cramped up. As you know the motor is a bit wide and the factory "mids" may be too far back for the seating position I want.

Thanks Hack... I want this to be a solid bike and I plan to ride it for a long while. The fact that it is a triple is one of the things that drew me to it in the first place. I've not seen one around here and most guys look at me like I'm crazy when I tell 'em it's a three cylinder. It took me a few minutes to realize it wasn't missing when I got it fired and running the first time. I appericiate all the encouragement and advice, guys. I'll do my best to make ya'll proud!!!

Here's some pics of a stretched shaft a guy did on bobberforum. He had the tube milled out to the correct diameter then twelve plug welds along with the original shafts notched.. (he used two original shafts to get the lentgh..)

post-16932-0-35790800-1322764563_thumb.j

post-16932-0-50890200-1322764570_thumb.j

Cool, man... Thanks for the pix. I'd thought of getting another shaft to use, also. I still ain't figgered out how much I'll stretch it yet. Probly wait till I get the rigid kit first and play around with it before I nail it down.

Ya I think stretching the shaft would be the last thing to do.... Hate to do it twice

Ya I think stretching the shaft would be the last thing to do.... Hate to do it twice

Yessir... I don't even know what it'll cost for a spare shaft..'Sides, I got plenty other stuff to do before I get to that point anyhow.

I started out mocking up some forwards to see where things wanted to lay. It didn't take long to figger out the pipes wanted to be in the same place as the bar for the forwards, so, I decided to go ahead and see what I could do with them instead. I would like to merge them all into one. Here's what I got so far...

post-15841-0-12484600-1322823027_thumb.j

Pay no attention to the crappy welds, they are only temporary...

post-15841-0-61318900-1322823115_thumb.j

The back end of them...

post-15841-0-89337000-1322823192_thumb.j

they are not too low...

post-15841-0-29416100-1322823271_thumb.j

The view from the left side...

Bonehead said the pipes he did on his trike were a pain in the ass and I believe it.These are cut mid way between the factory bends and pieced back together, one needing a slight extension to bring it over to meet the other two. I still ain't 100% sold on them,but they will suffice for now. I will probly look at some pipes at the parts store to see what I can figger out. I know I'm gonna run a cherry bomb muffler on it, I just gotta get them to cooperate and merge smoothly. That's all for another day, though.

If you can get the three tubes to come together in a triangle formation, a piece of 3" exhaust tube fits real nice over the end. Pound the edges down to meet the tubes and weld it up....instant collector.

Excellent info!!! Thanks a lot! I'm wondering about using some flex-pipe to get them to go where I want them to.I've used it on truck and jeeps before so I know it works well enough, but my main question is whether or not it will eventually begin to leak. I'm thinking it would be good enough to get them made and then have some pipes bent up to put in their place later.

Well, I got some time off from school for the holidays and thought I'd try to get something done with those pipes. I ain't done much due to finals and shit so I'll have some spare time now. We'll see what developes....

I'm watchin. That three into one setups gotta be cool...

Just so ya got an idea what I'm talkin about, here's the one I did.

post-7756-0-39380900-1323985538_thumb.jp

post-7756-0-26447800-1323985554_thumb.jp

Been kicking around the idea of merging my pipes into a collector w/ a three bolt flange like a header and connecting to a glasspack like the old purple hornys. Might work well w/ your build, real hotrod.

Yeah, I'm looking at doing something similar with a glasspack. Bonehead, that pipe looks cool as hell... I dig the guard bar on it. I'm kinda at a lose right now cause I can't make my mind up where/how I want to run my pegs/controls. If I run the pipes down like they are in the pix I can't run them in the front, if ir run the pipes under the front,and turn out at the side I'll have to drop them every time I need to change the oil... I can't really pick out where the pegs will go until I get the frame put back together and see where the seat will be... So much to do and all of it hinges on getting one thing done before the rest can get started.... The never ending game of hurry up and wait...

Ain't been anything going on here. Mostly waiting for cash... we all know how that goes.

Well, as soon as I can get my paypal working, I'll be getting the rear section from TC Bros. and things can get back under way. That and the Hobart I just got should come together rather nicely!!!

I aint fer got about her... the parts are suposed to be on order for the frame...

Eager to see the progress, just found one local but the old timer thinks it's got collector value and won't budge on the price :angry2:

Sorry it's been so long since anything has happened. My little corner of the world has been trying it's best to fall apart...I'm down to the end of that last thread at the end of the frayed end of my rope. It'll all be alright I guess,one of these days.

Anyhow, I have got some progress made towards the frame mods on her. I have the frame height set at 5in. right under the rear frame mount for the motor. I have the forks slipped about an inch and a half or so for now. I have an old springer I found at the scrapyard I am thinking about trying out after I get them straitened out and shortened up some. I don't know what brand they are/were, but they are old. The last inspection sticker was from 1979...What wasn't bent was rusted off. I'll do a write-up on them later, if I do use them.

One of the guys at school has made a couple of versions of the chain drive conversions I mentioned before for his 1100. I will be able to do it using the output housing for the shaft drive and some other off the shelf parts. I will most deffinately be taking some pix as I go...after I get a camera, that is.

I'll holler at ya'll later on...

Tie a knot, and hang on.

I'm a hangin'... Just a few more days and I'll be back in good shape...or,at least,better shape than I am now. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Tie a knot, and hang on.

I'm a hangin'... Just a few more days and I'll be back in good shape...or,at least,better shape than I am now. Thanks for the encouragement!!!

Hang in there buddy. I know a lot of us on here have been in a similar situation. It does get better. If you need anything just say the word.