• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stubbysteve

not really a tool but a question.

8 posts in this topic

I know some people have metal lathes and such but has anyone ever tried a wood lathe as a metal lathe? I mean can you change the cutting blade/knife and make it for metal or is it just not doable?

reasoning? I mean why do you think it wouldnt work? the materials its made out of, or what?

to my knolege a wood lathe is used with hand tools not a machine mounted tool. also the way the material is held in the lathe would not work..it would be like trying to drill steel with a wood bit. just not made for it in any way

yeah i thought about this and did a little research. the biggest issue is the bearings in a wood lathe aren't accurate enough to use for metal. After all the fab work it would take to get the lathe halfway accurate, you would be better off just buying an actual wood lathe.

I was bummed cause my dad has this big wood lathe that he doesn't use, but most things you are trying to make on a lathe require accuracy so it kinda defeats the purpose.

not to mention the torque in the metal lathe would be much higher..

I would not think the wood lathe would last (its not made to handle the added weight of metal) and the force to spin it with a bit to cut it.. would burn it out realy quick..

I would think anyway

The 2 most important factors for a metal lathe are horsepower and ridgidity. Any comercial wood lathe I've ever seen wouldn't have enough of either.