Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skelly

OIF vs oil tank

16 posts in this topic

Hi TCU,

I just picked up a 72 T120 that has had a Hardtail from British Cycle supply welded on. The guy did a pretty good job with the frame, but Kind of lost interest in the project, so I was able to get a basic roller and a bunch of boxes at a pretty good price.

I'm deciding on whether to use the stock OIF setup or to install a seperate tank.

I'm sure we all have our own opinion on what would look best, but does anyone know a reson why a seperate oil tank would work better than the OIF setup that is currently there?

post-13714-0-49539000-1358129298_thumb.joil in frame looks good to me if done right I think its all what you have to work with or the money you have to spend

if an oif frame is hardtailed and not gussetted correctly- there is possibilty of the frame cracking.

i like the OIF look, if you decide to go with an oil tank you can use the frame for a crankcase resivoir, also ya don't see too mant OIF chops it'd be a little more unique :thumbup1:

I love getting on here and finding the info fast. I starting to piece togeather a bike an have been seeing oif cheap.

I love getting on here and finding the info fast. I starting to piece togeather a bike an have been seeing oif cheap.

I think the reason for that is two-fold. Firstly, in stock configuration they crack at the bottom of the swing arm and leak badly. Secondly, a lot of people are turned off by the thick look, so few people even try to hardtail them.

I appreciate the question that started this. Let's have a look at the frame please. I am interested in the OIF because it can clean up the bike a bunch. But if you have trouble with the fittings or some other defect I see that you can't just swap it out. Would an OIF have a lower center of gravity and make it handle better?

The original 1971 frames had a problem with cracking at the base of the down tube/tank. If it had been a real problem, they wouldn't have used the OIF right up until 1983.

OIG rigids, if done nicely, look really good. If I were contemplating the conversion, my main concern would be the frame numbers and title. If you have a 72 and then use a custom frame, you now have a custom bike and all the fun registering and insuring that goes with it.

I have little room to talk here, despite my constant whining about keeping it legal, my 71 chopper has a custom frame and I'm still using the same title the bike came with. I know that at any time, it can be impounded.

At least I keep the original frame in the corner of the garage. Worse case scenario I can get my engine back and rebuild the original bike.

Back to the OIF vs. 63-69 style frame, do what looks good to you, but bear in mind there are 100000000000000 sixties-frames rigids running Sportster tanks and octagon oil tank and they all look exactly the same.

" but bear in mind there are 100000000000000 sixties-frames rigids"

I think your number is a little high. I counted all of them one year and I came up with 7.

" but bear in mind there are 100000000000000 sixties-frames rigids"

I think your number is a little high. I counted all of them one year and I came up with 7.

I'm basing that figure on all the ones I reject on a weekly basis for the magazine.

There are three basic variations:

1. The "patina" version, it used to be painted black but now wears a coat of iron oxide.

2. The new build "flat black" version (oil tank may still have rust), wrapped pipes mandatory.

3. The "high end custom" version, it's exactly the same but has a shiny paint job, red wheels and whitewalls and some godawful beige exhaust wrap.

Nobody should take this as a slam against their bike, it's just that I have become jaded with all the lookalike bikes with little to no creativity involved. If that's what you like nd will ride the wheels off, then that's great.

Here is how I see it ,

If you are trying to make a clean chopper less is more . So no oil tank is cleaner . Now if you are just going by "cool" then you have to ditch the frame and get a 70-63 front hoop . Then put a Dave Bird bolt on hard tail , Wassel style tank , 33.4mm forks and a set a T bars . Flip your hat's bill up so you have a place to hold a spare taco and most of all wear some vintage Vans .

Ok I'm done . OIF can look super cool but take more work to build right .

the main thing is to build what you like or want, but make sure it's ridable and as dependable as an old rigid can be, be careful and think thru the creativity part and make sure that the cool stuff is safe and functional, it's getting harder and harder to be differant and stand out from the crowd unless you're in strickly HD country and yeah OIF is definatly a double look bike if done right

I have a slight problem with Englishman's characterization of the lack of variety in Triumph chops, similar to his distaste for Sporty tanks on anything but Sportsters. His employment at a custom bike mag really doesn't qualify him (or anyone else) to stereotype Triumph builds as one of a very limited number of styles. The crew I ride with, including myself, has built at least fifty Triumph choppers. They range from early 60s pre-units to 2007 Thruxton choppers. None of us has ever submitted photos to Englishman, Bandit or any other publisher. We don't build to be featured in magazines or to be considered as worthy by people who, by their own admission, don't really build their own bikes. This is not a personal attack on anyone, nor is it an attempt to start a pissing contest on this forum. I respect the guys who taught me to build bikes when I was young, the people I have taught to build bikes and the guys I ride with who build them. The respect I get from those people means far more than the approval I might get from people who neither build nor ride as many miles as them. Personal taste is just that - personal. To use that standard to judge real builders' efforts is using one's position at the magazine as a bully pulpit.

I have a slight problem with Englishman's characterization of the lack of variety in Triumph chops, similar to his distaste for Sporty tanks on anything but Sportsters. His employment at a custom bike mag really doesn't qualify him (or anyone else) to stereotype Triumph builds as one of a very limited number of styles. The crew I ride with, including myself, has built at least fifty Triumph choppers. They range from early 60s pre-units to 2007 Thruxton choppers. None of us has ever submitted photos to Englishman, Bandit or any other publisher. We don't build to be featured in magazines or to be considered as worthy by people who, by their own admission, don't really build their own bikes. This is not a personal attack on anyone, nor is it an attempt to start a pissing contest on this forum. I respect the guys who taught me to build bikes when I was young, the people I have taught to build bikes and the guys I ride with who build them. The respect I get from those people means far more than the approval I might get from people who neither build nor ride as many miles as them. Personal taste is just that - personal. To use that standard to judge real builders' efforts is using one's position at the magazine as a bully pulpit.

Well, wait a minute. I don't like Sportster tanks on Brit chops... they're fine on anything else as far as I'm concerned.

I do see and feature on a regular basis, lots of Triumph chops and customs.

I was commenting on the large number of lookalike bikes I get sent. I also mentioned it wasn't intended as a slam against anyone's personal ride. I don't give a crap what anyone builds and rides as long as they enjoy it.

My intent here was to try and inspire people to at least shy away from the quick and easy path.

I see very few well done OIF chops, they are appealing to me.

All I can do here is give my opinion, or I can shut up... I'm good either way.

here's an oif I'm playing with. don't know if it would be considered a chopper but it should be fun AND i like it post-16848-0-11604200-1361672757_thumb.j