• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Fund Raiser   10/02/2017

ok sooooooooooooo here's the deal I am hoping to have a new hosting site by the end Nov middle of Dec That being said I have had only 2 peeps offering to help support the site So I think those who want to help should hold on to your cash till then. I do not want to take any money and then the site close (cause that would not be right) Many be can find some extra before then so no one has to pitch in. That's it for now Thanks WhiteWolf  
motorsickle1130

Bandit 1200 in 88' vlx frame

9 posts in this topic

New to the board and having a hard time navigating on my phone so figured I'd toss this up. I've got an 1988 Honda shadow vlx that I've been trying to get back on the road. Still having issues with the dual carbs.

Either way, I've been wanting to shoehorn a bandit 1200 motor into it and put a smaller sprocket on the back and make myself a decent interstate cruiser, still not sure if it'll fit and if I would be better off finding a dyna frame to use. I'd also like to be able to put at least a 5 gal. tank on it.

Maybe I'd be better off finding a Harley with a blown motor. Either way just looking for some input or links to Suzuki bandit or vlx stuff. Thanks

First.....welcome. :thumbup1:

Second....do you have the frame for th Bandit? It might be easier to modify the Bandit frame to look like you want than it would be to shoehorn it into the Shadow. :cheers5:

And just cuz I'm a smartass........if two carbs are kicking yer ass how are ya gonna tune four? <_<

If it's just the carbs build a single carb intake for the Shadow.

purty much what ^ says. isnt the bandit a hangin motor, putin that in a cradled frame, A fuggin nightmare.

new to TCU as well just post a few pics in the gallery of my hack using the stock frame as a donor. just get ta hackn n see what you can come up with.

I want to put it in a different frame so it's easier to swap controls, fuel tanks, more working space, and I figured on swapping the four carbs for a manifold and one or two. Either that or take it to somebody to tune. I have a friend with an ancient gold wing that's pretty good on a flow bench.

The Honda I've taken to a dealership before to have the carbs tuned. $500 later, they had cleaned them and claimed they "tried" to tune them (all of which I'd already done) and they ran no better. I swore I'd never take that motor back to any shop. It was all I could do not to have a melt down and melt the guys face with a torch.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I have a couple of bandit chops. It can work, and I figure there's no radiator or electronics on the older ones and what a thumper of a motor! Guess ill just have to pick one up now. I've already done the measurements and know it'll fit in the frame but it'll be tight. One of the reasons I'd probably go with an intake manifold, to get around the split backbone.

I was just hoping somebody could point me in the right direction to get started for fabing the frame.

heck noooo reason at all not to do it.... not likely to find anyone else that has done exactly the same.... and if so personally i wouldnt bother... just meeee

someone mentioned the bandit being a hung motor... it isnt ... it does have a full frame under it

i have a bunch of bandit stuff motor with a stuffed case an a frame with the same crunch to match have em cheap if something you can use em

Whoops, missed that last one.

Update:

Finally found a decent donor bike, but I'm still waiting on the DMV for a frackin title to the honda. It got me thinking too, as much as I like the smaller honda frame, it'll always ride like a soft tail (crappy). Decided I'm going to just put it back together and let the new lady learn to ride on it, and chop the Bandit frame. After thinking about it, I realized I could just build the bike I really want and not have to screw around with something that'll be fun but ultimately uncomfortable and not suited for cross country travel.

Not going to hardtail, but probably extend the swing arm a little and use the old stock shocks off my vrod. Definitely going to rake the neck out and hoping I can find a nice compromise to keep the cornering clearance but drop it down a couple inches. Going to fab some hard bags as well and maybe even do a full fairing. I've already rebuilt and re-jetted the carbs, and replaced the terrible air box with K&Ns. It's running like a raped ape!

I know, it probably sounds gawd awful, but at least the frame's getting cut. I'm waiting on finances to pick up the material for the Jig. Not working right now, so I'll probably be selling my old F-100 since I hardly drive it anymore. I love the truck, but I love the bikes more. Anybody interested?

Pics==>

post-25881-0-12916800-1427384574_thumb.j

post-25881-0-81360000-1427384607_thumb.j

post-25881-0-84824400-1427384705_thumb.j

Back to this, now that the sporty chop is gone. 

I've started planning for the swingarm extension. Can't get bolt on extensions anymore. I picked up another swingarm on egay, it came with all the axles and bearings, but there's a crack in the swingarm pivot. I could take it in to a local shop and have fixed and stretched. 

Im also seriously considering building my own, but it'd be outa steel, and at least 20 lbs heavier than using the arm I've got. 

Was as bored today and decided to make my risers. Had two bungs already, made two more, and had some scrap DOM laying around. Came out to 5" risers. Will measure for new lines tomorrow. 

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG