• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crashcollins

Mid life crisis

379 posts in this topic

Hi all just wanted to introduce myself , I live in London and have just sold my Gixxer 1000 to fund a chopper I've been wanting to build . Already I've hit a mountain of problems since buying the rolling chassis . The exhaust needed moving to stop it hitting the chain , some of the welds needed redoing as they weren't very good . And it took ages to even identify the engine which I now know is a 2010-2011 Suzuki bandit 1250cc .

y3ume2yh.jpg

uzuqajun.jpg

5ury4esa.jpg

Edited by Crashcollins

Greetings and hallucinations.

Nice start.

Thanks for the welcome. I will put up more pics once I've finished the seat base and fork stoppers . Just got to get the height right on the mono shock .

Hello Crash! I would love to see what the bike looks like without the spikey box thing on front. Do you plan to put your foot controls infront of or behind the engine? Also, I might find a way to put a cool, smaller, fender over the front wheel. I hear it's kinda wet where you live....

Welcome on,

Lol . I've modified the front rad cover . I didn't like the Maltese cross or the pointy bit so I've cut both out . As for the front mud guard I've not decided what shape to go for yet . I'm going to mount the foot control forward of the engine .

Edited by Crashcollins

yqa9y3et.jpg

Going to fit this replica Aston Martin fuel cap once I've sorted the tank out

punu8asa.jpg

Prepping an old 8.5" Lucas car headlamp to go on the chop

Edited by Crashcollins

Built these bars but I've gone off them now post-26423-136413008271_thumb.jpg

Really like these 1" grips with build in indicators na8yhesu.jpg

Edited by Crashcollins

"GAS"? I thought you Brits call it Petrol? I like the over szed headlight. And that you have it nice and low makes it look good on that front end. Have you measured the Rake and trail yet?

I have seen some choppers move the radiator to under the seat angled out to get some air flow. doing this both hides the radiator (by not looking like the bike has a snow plow on the front) and reveals it (by not covering it up). Don't have a pic to show of that. I've got a feeling that Jeepurz will be along with a pict anytime now...

Sadly the rolling chassis was already done when I got hold of it . The forks are at an aggressive angle and its going to be an arm burner to turn as every time I move the bars the wheel will lift the front :( still I really like the look .

I'm sure the rake and trail is fine. I'm just being nosey. If it isn't quite what you want for handling purposes then there are ways you can tweak it a little without having to reweld the whole freaking bike.

How you mount your seat may make it easier or harder for you to get your feet on the controls without burning your legs on the engine. It's tempting to put the seat right on the frame. But try it lifted up a little, I think you will find it easer to reach the future foot pegs. Keeping the seat low MAY make the foot pegs so wide that you MAY resemble a chick at the Gynos office.

I liked your handle bars. They just needed some kick ass risers.

Don't get over-whelmed with the shiny blinky stuff, that'll come. Focus first on the stuff that makes the bike go fast and stop. Everything else will take shape around it.

The seat is going to sit about 2" off the frame . I'm fitting a small gas mono shock to the seat to give me a better ride . The bikes away having the engine fettled at the moment but once I get it back I will post more pics .

Needs more...checks pic...never mind.

Needs more...checks pic...never mind.

Crash, The above statement is one of the highest praises you can get on this site. Maxx says "Needs More Rake" to just about 95% of the bikes. It's a running theme (almost an inside joke). Congrats.

I can't decide wether to powder coat the frame or just paint it ? For all us "Brits " on here we know the weather can be rubbish but I'm not planning on riding this bike in all weathers . So do I bother with powder coating or not . What do you all think ?

nice ride! dam nice sheet metal work too .

I can't decide wether to powder coat the frame or just paint it ? For all us "Brits " on here we know the weather can be rubbish but I'm not planning on riding this bike in all weathers . So do I bother with powder coating or not . What do you all think ?

Will it hurt your feelings when rocks chip the paint. Will you feel like you have to touch up the paint when you see the chips start? Do you think you are going to keep the bike for a while? Answering yes here would lead me to reccomend powder coat.

Through the course of a build, someone may have to weld on the frame a little(could be a tab to hold some little thing or a bracket to relocate the battery). Often a build gets put completely togather and then pulled apart before someone paints the frame --- just so they don't have to grind paint off, weld and repaint. This could lead to a spotted frame. I bring this up to ask you if you are SURE that it's the right time to cover the frame?

uzuqajun.jpg

Don't know if you are into naming your bike... But if you have removed the spike on the bottom then your bike will have a pretty built in name.

040210295.jpg?4

btw... not "Clarke"

Sorry should have put more info . I'm going to finish the bike then break it down to either powder coat it or paint it . I'm planning on keeping this bike till I die . If I go down the paint route it'll be primed , painted and lacquered .

But as I've not done it before I would rather ask those of you who know about these things than risk wrecking a bike .

Lol . I was thinking of naming it after these guys, and I don't mean "Howling madshithead" either ;)

post-26423-136421658056_thumb.jpg

But, howling mad shithead is such a great name.