• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Crashcollins

Mid life crisis

379 posts in this topic

But, howling mad shithead is such a great name.

if you aint gonna use howling mad shitheads, i think id like to use it for my next build! it just so fits the "THEME" of my bike.

i'd just paint it. easy to touch up and repair. the problem that i've seen with powder coating - if the frame is not COMPLETELY rust free - is that the rust runs under the powder like a cancer and you dont see it. dunno if there is a treatment that they do for it? i'm also in a high rust area so i'm not sure about the two applications... but i'd paint (probably because i'd be able to do that myself...) that is a nice bike!

I'd paint, powdercoat is notoriously difficult to patch, or remove if you ever want to recoat.

Tink

How can you tell it's summer? The rain is slightly warmer.

Agree on no powdercoat, for reasons mentioned.

Just wanted to reinforce.

Once it's been compromised, repairs will not work long term... and don't look good, short term.

Paint it is then ðŸ‘ðŸ‘can anyone point me in the direction of a decent UK based Parts Shop . I'm going to need the switch gear and a few other bits soon and eBay is letting me down .

post-26423-136699541004_thumb.jpg

I'm getting there .

Seat base done , mono shock done , battery box done .

Think it was Pluto who mentioned moving the rads . I've bought two small square rads and I'm going to fit them on either side under the seat . Seems a shame to cover up the sweeping frame by putting a radiator in front of it .

Schweeet!!! I cant wait to see it!

post-26423-136740304814_thumb.jpg

Change of plan again ! I've gone off the handmade tank . I'm going to use a bandit tank and weld on a skirt to help it blend into the frame .

post-26423-136740322224_thumb.jpg

Just to be sure, you are riding this thing right? If it's not streetable I would make the things that make it go vroom vroom a priority and then worry about aesthetics later. Its got to be getting warm enough to ride, even in England. Missing out on all of the fun right off the bat can make you resent the bike.

My 2 Cents.....I like the original, hand made tank the best, think it flows better.....looks like the bandit tank is just stuck on there.....

My 2 Cents.....I like the original, hand made tank the best, think it flows better.....looks like the bandit tank is just stuck on there.....

I have to agree.

100% agree as well...

Sadly the homemade tank is far too small to hold the original in tank fuel pump . And I can't find an alternate pump with the same flow/pressure . I'm close to starting the engine just gotta plumb in the cooling system and now that I'm going to use the bandit tank it'll work with the fuel pump and fuel gauge . I know it looks a bit awkward at the moment but once I get busy with the welder it won't look like its perched on top . And I'm itching to get it on the road so this will allow me to get there faster .

Nice! It went from Hammer to shark. Is that the tank you are going to keep or the temporary one? While the work emphasis should be on the function... along the way I'd try to make the back of the tank look better too. If you are going to keep that I'd find some way to blend it in at the seat. Maybe extend the skirt back to work it into lines of the frame around the seat. Don't ask me for specifics, I'm scratching my head too. The way it looks now, you may look like you're humping a great grey water mellon. :naughtywag:

I'd also consider using some kind of shortend fender if for no other reason than to protect your break line. Odds are no rock will ever be hurled like a nija throwing star to slice your hydralic line, but itls better to remove the odds all together.

I'm so impressed with the work you have done so far. keep it up one system at a time and you'll be riding in no time.:thumbsup:

I'm going to keep this tank but I don't know what to do with the rear of it ! I might buy a damaged one and cut and weld it into a better shape and if it works I will then do the same to this one . The metal these tanks are made of is so soft it might be impossible with my level of skill with a welder . Will see . Going to fit fenders just not got round to it yet . Thanks for the comments its a good gauge that I'm not headed in the wrong direction with the build .

That tank might look better if you turned it 180 degrees.

Dusty

What about just building a sump into the bottom of the handbuilt tank to house the pump? or swapping to carbs and harness off on older bike? As for controls checkout a copy of streetfighter mag, lots of machine shops and universal parts for controls and what not

I agree howlin mad shitheads would be a good name,nice beafy lookin bike awsome