Crazy Cats

2002 Road King

137 posts in this topic

Let me start with the history.

The bike is a 2002 Road king. I bought it in 2008 with 9k on the clock and not a scratch on the bike. The only thing that was not stock was a set of screaming eagle slip-ons. I added a zippers air cleaner kit with an old evo cover. I just hated that stock football look. The ecm was changed to an S&S VFI unit to fatten up the air fuel ratio a bit. The bike has run well giving me no troubles at all. I bought it with the intention of keeping it as close to stock as possible for the reliability. I wanted one bike with a suspension. (the rest are all rigid). I also wanted the bags because I planned on using it as a commuter vehicle for school and work. It has been in the same configuration for several years now.

Why am I doing this?

First, I have gotten bored with the performance. Second, I don't like stock bikes, my friends don't like stock bikes, and my job is all about making stock bikes not stock anymore. I have been planning this for some time now and things have just kept getting in the way. I am planning some performance improvements. I am not going to build a fire breathing monster. I still want to maintain stock-like reliability. The goal is not monster HP. Bone stock this engine should be about 62 hp and 74 ft-lb of torque. I don't ride this bike at 5500 rpm so a top end hp build makes no sense. My goal is 105 ft-lb torque at 3000 rpm. That should give me plenty of juice right where I ride in the rpm range.

In addition to the performance upgrades I am going to do a paint job. I have been doing a lot of paint work this year and I plan on using the bike as a rolling marketing tool for local events.

Timeframe.

I am planning on riding this bike to Sturgis this year. I'll be riding with a group of co-workers and although it is not company policy, and I am in no way implying any type of company policy, the fact remains that a bunch of guys travelling out west in company garb getting passed by a pack of soccer moms is just unacceptable. I anticipate a brisk pace so the work needs to be done before the trip. Sturgis is 7 weeks away. Ideally, this will be complete in four weeks. That gives me a week of break in and tune time before the BBB in Muskeegan. The BBB will hopefully be my shakedown run. That gives me two weeks to make adjustments before heading west.

This is the bike as I start. It is an old pic, but the only thing that has changed is the air cleaner. It is going to change again...

photo3-8.jpg

I have a helmet to paint first then I will hopefully start on this during the weekend.

Sounds interesting... What kind of paint scheme are you looking at?

The final design is still up in the air. I'm going to wing it and see what comes out. The primary colors will be red and black. It will incorporate Kandy, big Flake and flames. The flames only because I keep getting requests for flame paint jobs. (I've done four since January) It seems to be pretty popular around here so the marketing aspect is driving that decision.

Cams, a chip, and maybe some head work? Or are you planning on cracking the motor and putting in some new crank / piston / cylinder options?

Had they gone to efi in 2002 on the road kings? Or were they still running a carb?

Good luck!

You could get them with either carb or efi. This one is fuel injected. For the engine I plan on going to 3.875" bore which will give me 95". S&S .551 ez-start gear drive cams. The valve springs will need to be upgraded to our .585 set. The stock springs cannot handle that much lift. Of course I would not change cams without lifters, and adjustable pushrods with new covers will be required. I don't plan on head work because the stock heads are fine up to 4000 rpm. Porting is of great value in the higher rpm ranges, but I'm not building this motor with that in mind. I will be going with a 2-1 tuned runner air cleaner and a brand new exhaust system that I will expand on later. The VFI module will work fine for tuning but I am going to be upgrading to a later version and adding O2 sensors for a closed loop system.

Did some stuff this weekend. Organized the garage and got the bike on the lift. Couldn't devote all of my time to it but started the teardown. I have all of the tins except the rear fender off as well as the air cleaner and exhaust. I am stripping hardware from the tins in preparation of painting. Most of these that I have done have gone back together without the emblems and chrome trim. I think I am going to keep all of that stuff. All of the lighting is getting upgraded as well. I have tri bar headlights with high Intensity bulbs. The marker and turn signals are all getting replaced with smoked lenses instead of the red and amber. The seven foot wide rear turn signal light bar is getting replaced with a narrow one with the small lights from a late model street glide.

Edited by Crazy Cats

Was able to spend some time on it on Sunday. Got the engine torn down. Changed the inner cam bearings. checked the runout on the pinion shaft (.002") so I'm good to go with the gear drive. I did not take step by step photos because there are several how to's out there. I'd be happy to go into more detail if anyone has specific questions.

photo2_zps40e25a59.jpg

photo4_zpsb072fab0.jpg

I'm trying to get the engine closed back up so that I can start prepping the body work for paint.. I don't want to create the dust while the case is open.

Took a bike in for a customer so it has slowed me down a bit. I managed to get the cam chest back together. I went with 551 ez start cams. I scored a set of our premium lifters. It's ready for pistons and cylinders. Hopefully tonight.

photo1_zpsbd013a49.jpg

photo2_zps06fc53a2.jpg

Chipped away at it tonight for a bit. Got the rings gapped, pistons and cylinders are on. Then I grabbed my heads to change the valve springs. This where progress made a sharp turn to the left and I spent an hour looking for the correct size piece for my valve spring compressor to fit the stock collars. Got too pissed off and stopped looking. Sulked for a bit then just grabbed some metal polish and started cleaning the corrosion and 10 lbs of bugs off of the front end.

Not going to make any progress tonight because my parts for the customer bike should be in. It needs to be delivered tomorrow and will kill my work time tonight.

On a positive note I got a little package in the mail yesterday. Here's a sneak peek of things to come.

photo_zpsf8ec64fc.jpg

No pics from last night but I managed to change the valve springs in between working on the other bike. The other bike is done but it was too late to start it. My neighbors are pretty tolerant but there is no need to find out just what their limits are.

The engine is back together. I'll post some pics when I get on a computer. I don't have one of those fancy apps for my phone. Still need to do a little work I have to wire in the o2 sensors and the exhaust won't be in into the week of the 15th. I started sanding bodywork though.

The engine is back together. I'll post some pics when I get on a computer. I don't have one of those fancy apps for my phone. Still need to do a little work I have to wire in the o2 sensors and the exhaust won't be in into the week of the 15th. I started sanding bodywork though.

photo1_zpsbcb0a2bd.jpg

photo3_zpsbb8c00b6.jpg

keeps the pics comin , I gots me popcorn and im diggin it.

The last few days have been hectic but I have been slowly whittleing away at the paint prep. All that is left is some spot putty on the tank and sanding one saddle bag. I'll get that done later today. The missus wants to go to breakfast so in the interest of cleanliness I'll save the sanding until after we get home. In the meantime I am going to start on wiring the O2 sensors in. I also need to add a power outlet up at the bars in true road sofa tradition. It's not much to see, but here is some sanded body work. I'll take more pics as the painting starts. Probably tomorrow morning.

photo2_zpsf1c0ac20.jpg

I also have a half helmet that I bought several years ago. When I bought it I was in a bind and had to have one. The store I was at only had one helmet in "Double Extra Fathead" size so I bought this ugly WW2 fighter plane thing. I have not worn it since that day. I decided that since I am shooting some paint I may as well try to make it presentable. I have been wearing the full face more and more, but want something open for the heat. Here it is after scuffing it up.

photo3_zps8d125bcb.jpg

Edited by Crazy Cats

Welp, never even got started on the wiring. The paint prep is done though so I should have the first several layers done by lunch fri.

painting started today. some prep notes. It had original factory paint, which is a great base for custom paint work so I did not sand it all off. The key is to get the decals removed and pinstriping smooth.

Stage one: sanded, filled, degreased

photo1_zps4704e4e4.jpg

photo1_zps879f3fdf.jpg

photo2_zpsbfa5e59d.jpg

photo4_zpsd40f2634.jpg

Step two: primer/sealer

photo1_zps3a696b13.jpg

photo3_zps4b38ac25.jpg

photo4_zps35a6d759.jpg

step 3 orion silver base

photo2_zps2313b463.jpg

photo3_zpsc39ece4e.jpg

photo4_zps806fde73.jpg

step 4: squeeze the glitter out a stripper and sprinkle over paint

photo5_zpsd4e5d5d7.jpg

photo1_zps10093259.jpg

photo2_zps96a3583e.jpg

photo3_zpsc11a9c2f.jpg

photo4_zps390429f2.jpg

Step 5 is clear coat. It doesn't look any different so no new pics. The goal is to bury the flake to get a nice smooth surface.

Interesting.....nice color.

I'm gonna have to look for them silver onions. Wonder what they taste like?

I always just shake my glitter off the stripper. Didn't know ya could squeeze it out of em.

Oh.........BAGGERS SUCK!!!!

I always just shake my glitter off the stripper. Didn't know ya could squeeze it out of em.

Yep. You can get different colors depending on where you squeeze.

Lol. You're really going to love it with 32" apes

Yep. You can get different colors depending on where you squeeze.

Lol. You're really going to love it with 32" apes

I know where you live!!! :big_boss:

mang I wuv sparkles !

I'm mixfused.

These flakes are very clearly red:

photo_zpsf8ec64fc.jpg

Yet these flakes are very clearly not red:

photo4_zps390429f2.jpg