• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sody

Well, it's a start...

33 posts in this topic

Picked up our donor this afternoon. '78 GL-1000. Top end was gone through 3 years ago. Picked it up for $1k and drove it home. Dudly and I are building a trike for a friend of ours that isn't able to ride 2 wheels anymore. Plans are an inverted springer, steel wheels with baby moons, 2 up seat and a white oak stake bed with a pony keg fuel cell. Paint he hasn't completely decided on yet other than some shade of blue. I'm planning a dark blue candy over silver with laced panels (whether he likes it or not. lol) I'll post pics up as this thing takes shape. Other than the donor, we're still in the cheap idea stage.

post-13725-0-87035100-1378702389_thumb.j

Picked up our donor this afternoon. '78 GL-1000. Top end was gone through 3 years ago. Picked it up for $1k and drove it home. Dudly and I are building a trike for a friend of ours that isn't able to ride 2 wheels anymore. Plans are an inverted springer, steel wheels with baby moons, 2 up seat and a white oak stake bed with a pony keg fuel cell. Paint he hasn't completely decided on yet other than some shade of blue. I'm planning a dark blue candy over silver with laced panels (whether he likes it or not. lol) I'll post pics up as this thing takes shape. Other than the donor, we're still in the cheap idea stage.

good deal

that seat looks like a scott russel day long seat, new it is more than half of what you paid for the bike used to be around $650 think closer to 850 now worth EVERY PENNY

Look at the [ugly ass] one on e-bay right now. Item number 121171465878. It might be worth looking into his idea for the rear end.

Look at the [ugly ass] one on e-bay right now. Item number 121171465878. It might be worth looking into his idea for the rear end.

Man, that's a BIG ASS rear end on that. Little wider than I had planned on. Kind of a neat idea, but we want this thing to look like a trike that was built, not a wing that has an IFS scabbed onto the rear of it. lol

The donor wing runs well! Been riding it to work all week. Got a bug up my ass and gave an extra twist on the throttle on the way in last night. Ran her up over 105 and still had plenty of throttle left. No shimmy shaking or anything. Not bad for a 35yr old.... :buttrock:

Still sounds like a damn sewing machine though..... :crazy:

Well i will be watching as i am trying to flog my 80 wing and get the idea i would have to give it away to get rid of it, might just have to do some modding instead.

OK, the guy is bound and determined this has to have suspension in the back. That just made this a lot more difficult. Anybody have any suggestions for rear ends? I'd planned on just using a narrowed S10 hardtail, but I guess that's not going to fly. Needs to be cheap. I'd also like it fairly narrow. Say no more than 42" between axle plates. I'm lost here now, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

How about the rear out of something like an AWD Subaru or similar AWD car.

Go to the Trike Doctor forum. It is in the UK. Them guys convert lots of cycles with small car diffs and swing arms.

Mine is a narrowed upside down and backward vw. But I went vw engined also.

Find a machine shop that can respline axles then cut down any small diff. Then check out how them guys across the pond make swing arms.

How about a Freelander rear end but use some Locost type wishbones (A arms) and a good stiff anti-roll bar?

I used Ford Sierra (Merkur?) parts on my Trike but they're getting rare even over here.

fnuyam2.jpg

HTH

Tink

At the moment, I'm now looking at using the rear suspension out of a Datsun 280Z. A buddy has access to one. 55.7" track width, so we may not even need to narrow it. Still drawing pictures though.

Still thinking, but it's looking more and more like I'm going with a solid mounted Get Tracker rear end. It's narrow enough at 55.1" from backing plate to backing plate that I'm hoping I won't have to narrow it. going to lay everyhing out on the shop floor this weekend and see what it looks like.

cant wait to see where this ends up anyway you do it i am sure you will make it look bad ass

Finished... Hell, I just wanna get started on the damn thing! lol Entered it in the BBO, but I don't know if the guy is gonna be able to come up with funds fast enough to get it done in time. Gave me another $200 the other day, so could order steel. OF course that won't be here til after the first now so....

That sounds like a pretty good width.

I like them on the small side. Mine is cut down to an even 4ft to the outside of the tires. Of course the long wide hard tail look is still a good one.

Used to be an article floating around the internet where they used the diff carrier itself out of a small car. They welded up all the holes, installed a grease zert to keep the spiders moving and attached a sprocket to one end. They then fashioned an open housing and axle tubes. It was pretty straight forward and easily done in the average LLC garage sans the shortened axles. I had shared the link to it in another thread here somewhere. It has been awhile though and I'll be danged if I remember where.

Edited by cozee

Cozee, This is going on a wing. It's a drive shaft. Need everything intact. Thanks though. I think I saw that article a while back.

Well duh!! I knew that too!!! That's what I get for staying up late!!!!! Lol!!!!

don't know why I cant copy and paste anymore but theres a tbird ind 8.8 rearend on pgh craigslist barter for 500.00with the subframe