• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeepurz

Hedge VS smither coal.

14 posts in this topic

If ya know wood ya know hedge wood burns hot as shit. Anyone know if it could replace smithers coal? I gots a ton of hedge I mix with oak to burn in stove but got to wonder if it gets hot nuff for smithing>? btw I did google this no luck. btw Im a cheap bastard that coals spensive.

I have no idea, but it sounds like it is worth a try.

mite work but probably would take longer to heat up and wouldnt stay hot long enough to do much. coal stays hotter longer.

What if you blasted it with shop vac exhaust or a leaf blower? Kinda like a mini blast furnace

mite work but probably would take longer to heat up and wouldnt stay hot long enough to do much. coal stays hotter longer.

Correct, sir. If you can find some coke (not that horrible liquid shit), (or the powdrred version) mix it with your coal, and watch the results when you put the air on. All the heat you want,

and retains the heat for a long time. Are you looking at bellows or mechanical air feed?.

I've never done it, but the youtube vid I saw said you can use wood for smithing, just don't mix hard and soft together IOW, you can use either, just not both at the same time for some reason, poss because they each burn down to coals at a different rate. Burn the wood down to red coals, and then bury them in a hole in the ground to smother it. The next day you'll have charcoal for smithing. I think you can make a forge bowl thing out of river clay with an air blast pipe at the bottom. You can separate out the clay from your soil (I made 2, 5 gal buckets of clay from my yard last summer) , or you can dig it out of a river bank or anywhere it's exposed. It's everywhere and you don't have to spend any money on it or look very far at all. You'll have to wait until the ground thaws at this point. I think regular coal is like $1/lb these days, way too much for backyard smithage where the alternative is free.

I think I saw the guy just made a fire in a hole in the ground, then when he got red coals, just covered it over until the next day.

Correct, sir. If you can find some coke (not that horrible liquid shit), (or the powdrred version) mix it with your coal, and watch the results when you put the air on. All the heat you want,

and retains the heat for a long time. Are you looking at bellows or mechanical air feed?.

antique forge , crank air but ill convert to blower .

I have used blackjack to melt alum in a cast iron pot

with forced air

so it must be a form of what we call black oak locally, thats what I made my anvil stand out of. I dunno but hedge burns way hotter than oak or thats been my experience .and it pops like a mofo to.

Light yer neighbors house on fire. you'll have coal...LOL.