• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Fund Raiser   10/02/2017

ok sooooooooooooo here's the deal I am hoping to have a new hosting site by the end Nov middle of Dec That being said I have had only 2 peeps offering to help support the site So I think those who want to help should hold on to your cash till then. I do not want to take any money and then the site close (cause that would not be right) Many be can find some extra before then so no one has to pitch in. That's it for now Thanks WhiteWolf  
Dieselchanic

Rechop: The Lanesplitter Project

90 posts in this topic

I did some trading and acquired this 81 xs650 the other day. Needs head gaskets but its got almost new rubber, 2-1 drag pipe, TCBros forwards, TCBros hardtail, mini speedo, mini master cylinder, PMA, pamco, and Sparx capacitor. Gave it a wash and it looked like this..

Posted Image

Posted Image

For ten minutes...

Posted Image

Mocked it up like so..

Posted Image

The plan is a few frame mods to give it a bit sleeker lines, some riserless bars, new exhaust with dual cocktail shakers, frame mounted seat, and fresh paint.

I'm gonna have fun with this..

Follow my instagram @diesels_garage for real time news updates and some great gorilla weld action!

Alien tank looks good. What are you doing with the rear fender?

Going to try and rework that rear fender. See if its still useable. Might try it on one if my other chops or put it up for sale..

last year i was running forward controls with short "drag bars" (whatever). makes for an uncomfortable riding position. Kept the forwards but got som taller barz. we shall see..

last year i was running forward controls with short "drag bars" (whatever). makes for an uncomfortable riding position. Kept the forwards but got som taller barz. we shall see..

I'll be going with mids and higher bars on this one also. Those forwards are in pretty tough shape and I prefer mids anyway. Also going to make some riserless narrow bars.

I went to work on my fender to shrink the radius to better fit my tire. The most common method seems to be to spread the lip out to pull the radius tighter. I did that and it worked but it only got me about halfway there.. So then I made 3/4" cuts every 3" in the lip around the fender. I then pulled it in to fit the tire and welded it all back up. Worked great and it fits perfect now...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yeah, that smaller tank definitely works, it sounds like you got a handle on it. It'll be a cool looking bike when your done.

that fender looks freakin sweet. the lack of clearance kinda freaks me out, but it looks wicked!

Ya that fender is tight on the tire now. I'm going to cut it down and probably open it up just a tad...

Next up is the frame in the seat area. Going to play with my bender a little in the morning to see if it'll do what I'm wanting to try

That is going to be a nice looking scoot! Higher bars, or dog bones might look good too. The rear fender turned out real nice :thumbsup:

As I was working on making the neck fixture for my jig yesterday, I blew the belt on my lathe. Well that shut me down on customer work until my new one comes in the mail, so I rolled the xs in the shop.

Posted Image

I got tired of staring at those drag bars. I want riserless bars on here but with my lathe down that's out for now, so I threw this set together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Started on the frame. Cut out one rail and started playing with my bender to see what I could come up with. I like where it's headed. The mark shows where I'll bend it to meet the backbone.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If you need head gasket, I've got a copper one. I'll check fitment.

Aw man. Just ordered a topend set last night...

I cleaned up the backbone where the seat rails meet it.

a8a5uru4.jpg

Then I bent up a matching pair of tubes.

rarege3u.jpg

This shows the new rail versus the old...

ebe3emyv.jpg

Called it quits for tonight. Next chance I get to work on it I'll try to get the frame back together.

Edited by Dieselchanic

Nice! Digging the alien tank and bars.

Little update here. The clutch cover has been bothering me for obvious reasons. That gold vinyl is an insult to xs650's everywhere, and that was some of the stickiest shit I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Anyway, I trimmed down the cover a bit so it doesn't look like it should still mate up to a swingy frame, then stripped the paint, sanded and polished.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had to push this bike out of my shop for a while. I've got a kz650 I have to rake and hardtail but hopefully I can knock that out quickly and be back on the xs.