• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tanshanomi

Tack welding prior to taking to a pro welder

11 posts in this topic

Those of you who do welding jobs, does it matter to you whether you get stuff tack welded by a customer, or would you rather start from separate parts?

I have a frame I need a cross-tube and some bungs welded onto. Do I tack them in place with my little 110 mig before I take them to somebody to have them done properly, or would I just be making it harder for the pro?

I've often wondered this myself.

depending on what wire or rod your welder is using might not be compatiable with the wire your tacking with. im sure you will be fine but who knows what he will say.

If your prep work is good you should be all set. Be sure to clean all the weld surfaces and surrounding areas. My suggestion would be learn to weld properly yourself....then ya don't need to send it out. :harhar:

My suggestion would be learn to weld properly yourself...

Trying to go through that process. I've gotten some training at the local community college, but not ready to trust my welds with my life Right now it's a question of equipment, until I can afford something better than my current 85 amp Clarke.

depending on what wire or rod your welder is using might not be compatiable with the wire your tacking with. im sure you will be fine but who knows what he will say.

Ive run into this myself. Just leave room for the welder to tack it himself and he can grind yours off before he welds it.

I have had no real problem welding stuff that was tackwelded by someone else. lots of times I just redid the tacks if they were really messed up and if I was uncertain if the part had moved during transport I just get them to bring in the mating part.

it all depends on what you are doing...

best bet is to try to talk w the welder first

often people do stuff thinking they will help me by doing a weld prep but grind too much ...or do some tacking..but. dont clean off some old braise or rust first... too many times they would be better to just bring it in 1st..

it all depends on what you are doing...

best bet is to try to talk w the welder first

often people do stuff thinking they will help me by doing a weld prep but grind too much ...or do some tacking..but. dont clean off some old braise or rust first... too many times they would be better to just bring it in 1st..

So very true. Have the same problem over here. :hairpull:

I'd weld it for you.

But no guarantee its right if I didn't set and tack.

I'll clean it and weld it exactly as it tacked. But if you made a mistake, Its your issue.

But also, I'll be sure to make certain its safe. Not tying my name to a part that breaks and kills someone. I dont need to be sued.

If you take it home and its not perfectly inline with what your doing, I'll redo it at your cost.

Btw, cost is $100/hr plus material.

Edited by RDuck

guess i am not charging enough... especially putting my name on stuff!!!