• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
abispac

i want to start a small shop need advice on what tool to buy.

16 posts in this topic

So my brother got exited about us starting a small shop to modify and build frames

Hes very talented with pretty much everything he wants to do, but we dont have any tools at all to start, so i thought maybe we can start a small shop for relatives and friends, nothing formal,and once we get to know how the job its done, then we can open to the public.

so far i thought about a tube bender and came up with this

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/3rd-Generation-Hydraulic-Round-Tubing-Bender-and-5-Die-Set,20066.html

so my second thought will be cuts and found this

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Speedy-Notcher-Tubing-Notcher,3482.html

now my 3rd its welding, and that im not sure if its gonna be tig or mig or both, so i need help on what ealse should i consider, are there any better bending toools out there? thanks for any help.

Tig for sure. I like the JD Squared type bender better. Google it. I think they make a better notcher too.

Good luck and enjoy the good times ahead.

That speedway bender sucks. JD2 is nice, I bought the pro tools bender because the die sets are cheaper, just as good of quality though.

Actually is was a Probender,

http://probender.com/

The notcher you have posted sucks. The use bushings instead of bearings, and get sloppy fasst.

I'd get a JD2 or pro tools notcher, and then this.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Tube-Notcher-Super-Shaft-_p_48.html

If you're only gonna have one welder, I would honestly suggest a Mig. Thats just a personal opinion, but its more versatile, quicker to tack things and mock up, and can be just as strong and almost as clean. TIG is awesome, but I wouldnt trade my Mig for it.

And jsut a suggestion. Spend good money the first time. You're better off waiting to buy a better tool, than to get a crappy one, and have the added down time in the middle of the job. And better tools give better results.

Tig for sure. I like the JD Squared type bender better. Google it. I think they make a better notcher too.

Good luck and enjoy the good times ahead.

Sure jd stuff looks awsome, cant decide on wich model to buy as i dont think i need something fancy as the model 4 , but model 3 looks like it does the job just fine, model 32 hydralic looks complicated but it seems it helps alot too...will keep my eye on this ones...

That speedway bender sucks. JD2 is nice, I bought the pro tools bender because the die sets are cheaper, just as good of quality though.

Actually is was a Probender,

http://probender.com/

The notcher you have posted sucks. The use bushings instead of bearings, and get sloppy fasst.

I'd get a JD2 or pro tools notcher, and then this.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Tube-Notcher-Super-Shaft-_p_48.html

If you're only gonna have one welder, I would honestly suggest a Mig. Thats just a personal opinion, but its more versatile, quicker to tack things and mock up, and can be just as strong and almost as clean. TIG is awesome, but I wouldnt trade my Mig for it.

And jsut a suggestion. Spend good money the first time. You're better off waiting to buy a better tool, than to get a crappy one, and have the added down time in the middle of the job. And better tools give better results.

Probender stuff lokks nice too but i think i will go with jds, but definitly will use the notcher advice, and about the welding, i think there are separated opinios on this one, are there any machines that will handle both?

cuestion on the die sets,whats the diference betwen round and pipe sets,wich should i use?

Tube is measured on the OD, pipe is measured on the ID.

Differant materials. 1.5" pipe has a 1.875" OD

Sorry Garage gremlin Im ashame to ask but im not familiar with the jargon (english is my second lenguage) what does OD and ID stand for? And the pipe or tube,not sure how to call it they use here to build race cages are mesured in inches, what sure i look for to get the right die i need,circunference and wall?

and about the welder, i read on this forum this machines have good reviews

http://www.harborfreight.com/tig-mma-inverter-welding-machine-with-digital-readout-98233.html

Edited by abispac

JD2 bender or any of the other brands that look just like the JD2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..................... I've used the speedway type before the JD is a way better set up!

just about any notcher is ok the trick is getting a good blade for it! by a lenex blade its not cheep compaired to the cheep ones but this is for sure a "get what you pay for deal!" .............. your going to need a good 1/2" drill also!

You are going to need a good chop saw! ............a cheep one could be used till money is better but, same deal! ........ good one will last and cut time is way different on a chop saw that has a set of balls!

As far as a welder goes a tig is very nice! but I would rather have a good mig if I had to pick just one to use in any Fab shop! .................. sure a tig will work good and with some time welds look great but I can see lots of time saving with the mig! whatever you do spend good money on a welder not a cheep one! ................... if it does not take gas it should not be welding a bike frame IMO! ................... Look around for something used to save some cash! nothing wrong with good used tools! you can often find a good 200 amp mig under $1000 than save up for a tig after you got a mig! :thumbsup:

The tool I could not be without today is a Mill tho! ................. seems like a very $$$$$$ tool but if you keep a look out you can find them for way cheeper than you think! $1000 will almost always get you something to start with!

I am concerned with someone opening a shop that does not know the difference between pipe and tubing and the difference in benders. If you also do not know the capabilities of the type of welders (TIG and MIG) I would refrain from doing anytime type of frame welding or building. Stick with repairs and such.

Sorry Garage gremlin Im ashame to ask but im not familiar with the jargon (english is my second lenguage) what does OD and ID stand for? And the pipe or tube,not sure how to call it they use here to build race cages are mesured in inches, what sure i look for to get the right die i need,circunference and wall?

http://www.harborfreight.com/tig-mma-inverter-welding-machine-with-digital-readout-98233.html

Buy brand name. For a home type guy, it may work, when you're dealing with customer money you dont want to take the chance.

I am concerned with someone opening a shop that does not know the difference between pipe and tubing and the difference in benders. If you also do not know the capabilities of the type of welders (TIG and MIG) I would refrain from doing anytime type of frame welding or building. Stick with repairs and such.

But I have to agree with this. If you dont understand this, you REALLY need too take some classes on fabrication, before you put someones life on the line learning. I could go into the specs of the differant material, the useage, what it all means, but in all honesty it would be just enough info for you to be dangerous.

As i stated, im not open to the people , we will start as a hobbie first once we get good enough then we will open to the public, my brother knows about welding, im just asking here what would be best,tig or mig, since im the one whos buying the equipment, and on the pipe tube issue, as i stated to english its my second lenguage and sometimes i have a hard time diferiencing on those, but localy i know wich typu of tube to buy has i have a friend that builds racing cars cages that told me wich tube too buy, i just dont wanna over buther him with alot of questions, people often thinks you want to take away theyr bussines and provide you with not so acurate information. And as we want to work on motorcycles i thought i ask for advice in this forum. So theres nothing to worry about, my brother its an experience mechacnic and technichian, im sure we will do just fine, im not some dumb myself im sure ill make a great helper.

dont care about reviews on that machine ...dont waste your money!! like some one said ... spend your money right the first time even if you have to waiit to get the good stuff....

If your brother has welding skill as well as mechanical skill and he is going to partner with you on this project. Then consulting about welder preference should be with the one using the machine and with a welding background I'm sure he has his own preference. OD is outer diameter and ID is inner diameter of your pipe/tube.

Even though your brother has "skills" you should still take some fabrication schooling or training especially if you're going to drop your own money into it. You should know how everything works. And gain basic knowledge of materials as well as processing. I wish you luck in your future projects.

-Dwight

I think im gonna have to spend more time with my friend (the one who builds race cages) and see what kind of welder he use on the mandrel pipes he works with. Then have my brother and even i to start practicing on welding those pipes before we actualy build a frame...

I think im gonna have to spend more time with my friend (the one who builds race cages) and see what kind of welder he use on the mandrel pipes he works with. Then have my brother and even i to start practicing on welding those pipes before we actualy build a frame...

It sounds like you've picked up a few words along the way, and its enough to get you into trouble.......Pipe and tube are 2 differant things, and mandrel is a form of bending. As in Mandrel bent.

Tobe completely honest it sounds like you've got at least a year or two before you're ready to do what you're planning. Dont rush into it, and if your friend is willing to show you stuff, just be quiet and soak it in.