• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Markantenna

frankenbike

411 posts in this topic

Some shots I took just before I started it up. Will try and get the video off my phone onto my laptop then try and post it up. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Markantenna

Not happy with the rear guard and tail light set up once I get this thing running properly gonna have to rethink the rear end to tidy it up.

Faaaarrrrrkkkk. Petcock still leaking and carb still faaaarrrrrrkkkken leaking. Gonna try another petcock I have and just can't seem to sort out this carb leak. 

Ok well apparently these carbs can be a bit of a pain in the bum to get the float set correctly found a good YouTube video tutorial but before I reset the float heights again gonna pull the needles and give the seats a good clean even though I totally stripped cleaned and rebuilt them it's not out of the realm of possibility that there might be a tiny bit of crud on the seat so was going to use a cotton tip and a bit of metal polish and see if I can get it to seat. I checked the bowls and the drain screw ain't leaking and checked and re set the float height a few times so will clean again and hope for the best. As for the petcock stripped it replaced gaskets and checked and still dribbles fuel in the off position and the cheap aftermarket one pretty much fell apart after playing round with it for half an hour so have to sort out that issue 

Hey man, looks like some great progress! I've been out of the loop for a bit- great that it's finally breathing and roaring!

Agreed about the tail- that tail light should sit more horizontal for sure.

Carbs- are your needles new? Needle valves are notorious for being worn down EVER so slightly, not even visibly, but just enough to make them leak no matter how clean they are.

2 hours ago, Markantenna said:

Ok well apparently these carbs can be a bit of a pain in the bum to get the float set correctly found a good YouTube video tutorial but before I reset the float heights again gonna pull the needles and give the seats a good clean even though I totally stripped cleaned and rebuilt them it's not out of the realm of possibility that there might be a tiny bit of crud on the seat so was going to use a cotton tip and a bit of metal polish and see if I can get it to seat. 

If the needles and seat are metal try lapping with some cigar ash (not cigarette it don't work). If the needle is viton tipped replacement is probably in order. Before I spend all that time and effort putting them back on the bike I hold the carbs upside down and suck on the fuel line for each carb (you may have to do this before you bolt the carbs together on some bikes). If they don't hold air there's no point in bolting them on, investigate more.

Dusty  

Cleaned the float needle seat up with some metal polish and a cotton tip then gave it a good clean to remove any polish and tested it on the bench and looks like it's not leaking. Will fit the carbs back in the bike and then sort out the fuel tap issue hopefully won't be long before I take it for its first ride in just over 3years

Hahaha I just deleted one of my own posts too doesn't matter though. 

Dusty yes all the needles and jets were brand new I rebuilt the carbs using all new parts and used a sigma6 jet kit I think that's the brand.i thought I had thoroughly cleaned them but obviously not I did get a bit of dirty crud out of the seat and seem ok now. Might invest in one of those fancy cleany thingamajiggas

I think I was trying to say ultra sonic cleaners. In regards to the rear fender I'm thinking maybe a swingarm mounted fender with stays to the axle nuts.being in Sydney Australia there are pretty strict guidelines I need to stick to in regards to design rules so I can get it passed for registration.

Sorted the carby and fuel tap issues and fired it up this morning.

sounds pretty beefy for a 400 twin. 

Have a few wiring issues to sort out.

my right hand indicators are not working, the indicator light on the dash blinks if the headlight is off and the tail light doesn't operate off either brake so looks like I will pull the diagram and get comfy. 

But first I'm gonna have to put the chain in and go for a squirt up and down the street.

Ripped the rear fender and lights off and sat the seat in place and looks heaps better,found an old sportster front guard that I think will work mounted to the swingarm to keep it a bit neater in the rear.will move the rear indicators up near the back of the seat and mount the brake light and license plate off the rear fender. 

Looks good in my head will see how it looks finished. 

Got a start on making some brackets for the rear fender.used some flat bar and drilled some holes in it so it don't look too chunky once I get it mocked up I will post a pic also need to make a small bracket that will be welded to the swingarm.

Edited by Markantenna

Not much progress to report been working my balls off next week I'm on a 2pm start and the kids are back to school so should be able to manage a few hours shed time. I found another problem with the bike kick start don't kick the engine over hope I don't have to tear the whole thing apart again. The electric start works fine so think I might leave it and get some riding in first might look into it after I finish my next build so I won't be bikeless.

Making progress on my rear fender mounts.fitted new chain today before work if all goes well should be able to go for a squirt up and down the street tomorrow.

Not liking the brakets i made for the rear fender going to start again.keep forgetting i need to sort out a chain guard as well and cover my seat.

Good news took the bike out for its first ride this morning only up and down the street. First thing i noticed was the clutch was not adjusted correctly so sorted that out which was also the cause of my kickstart issue so happy that the kickstart works as it should. Minor carb issue but i knew i would have some issues with these cv carbs. Left carb had a bit of fuel leaking from the over flow after the ride so thinking its gonna be a float issue again. Now to work out how to post a video.i gotta say i was grinning like a Cheshire cat after i got back. 

Found this wheel cover off a four wheel drive someone tossed out gonna try making a rear fender out of it looks like i could make about three out of it actually.

20161025_091004.png

Cut out a section of the wheel cover then cut out a couple of inches from the middle to narrow it and tacked together feels a bit flimsy so the section from the middle i cut out is gonna get welded into the underside to strengthen the whole thing up.pics to follow when its looking more like a fender.

Looking into buying a small roll bender that does sheet and rod that bench mounts will make life easier 

At a bit of a stand still at the moment im about half way done on my rear guard got a start on my chain guard and about half done on my third attempt at a seat.

I scrapped the fibre glass one i was working on.