• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Fund Raiser   10/02/2017

ok sooooooooooooo here's the deal I am hoping to have a new hosting site by the end Nov middle of Dec That being said I have had only 2 peeps offering to help support the site So I think those who want to help should hold on to your cash till then. I do not want to take any money and then the site close (cause that would not be right) Many be can find some extra before then so no one has to pitch in. That's it for now Thanks WhiteWolf  
Dusty_Dave

A Bonneville Indian

102 posts in this topic

On 10/12/2016 at 10:55 PM, Dusty_Dave said:

OBTW the wife informed me that it will be named  Dohasah (pronounced doe-hah-sah), which means 'swift' in Western Apache. Since she controls my sex life, Dohasah is a wonderful choice n I will paint it on the bike.

Dusty 

Yeah, lets do some hash!

Whilst watin on the bearings I started putting it on a diet. Unbolted, cutoff wheel, grinder. hacksaw n hammer! Didn't weigh it but it felt like better n 20 lbs.

IMG_20161018_160710_zpsisumk1rv.jpg

Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

Started making all the pointy ends the cutoff wheel on the hand grinder left smooth and round.
2016-11-12_16.08.04_zpsweowhcrx.jpg
Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave

Got the outside round which is good since I plan to mount it with a band clamp. So on to the boring part or is that boring the part?

IMG_20161117_1046351_zpswfi548vu.jpg

The bore is now 22mm which happens to be the OD of the ceramic bearings.

IMG_20161117_1144081_zpsub0gd8cg.jpg

Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

There was a tiny amount of wear in the shaft! I'm into it .060" n it's still hourglassed.

2016-12-03_12.42.17_zpsgattjyz5.jpg

Finally cleaned up .020" before I hit my 10 mm.

2016-12-03_12.57.33_zpsdevwdk2u.jpg

Now if I just had all the bearings.

Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

On 10/12/2016 at 10:55 PM, Dusty_Dave said:

OBTW the wife informed me that it will be named  Dohasah (pronounced doe-hah-sah), which means 'swift' in Western Apache. Since she controls my sex life, Dohasah is a wonderful choice n I will paint it on the bike.

Dusty 

Yeah, lets do some hash! 

I don't kno why this got duplicated....oh well wtf

Edited by joe amyde
because I said so....

Bit late I know about the Ceramic bearings idea... Ford have a nice little engine tucked away and patented through and through... Every part that wears down was built with ceramics... Bearings, piston rings etc etc... Heard they sat it on a bench and ran it at 5.000rpms for upto 300k miles... Apparently it was still like new. Also Skateboarding using ceramic wheel bears, they are tough as hell and rarely break.

Posted (edited)

Finally got the rest of the bearings and a few minutes for me. So I cleaned everything and slid three bearings in on the belt side a spring then a single bearing on the compressor side.Everything felt good so I bolted the inner volute on.

2017-01-04_14.17.36_zpslkgsu3cy.jpg

Everything still felt good so I screwed the impeller on.

2017-01-04_14.18.22_zpszhiezj6v.jpg

After I loctited and torqued the impeller the thrust was spot on so I bolted the outer volute cover on.

2017-01-04_14.30.04_zpsdnd2yazk.jpg

Since it was handy I gave it a coat of BBQ Metallic Black.

2017-01-04_14.47.05_zps2i60w1xg.jpg

N that's all for the blower till the engine and frame are ready.

Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

I did do the math and the final drive ratio for the first test will be 1 to 15.4 which will give me a little over 46000 blower rpm at 3000 engine rpm. As oversized as this turbo is hopefully that will be enough so that I don't have to have a jackshaft. 
Dusty

huh, how fast does a turbo normally spin? That seems awful quick to me, but I don't kno knuthin.

Most older turbos start making useful boost at about 40,000 the smallest Garrett in production runs at 240,000. But hopefully since this one off of a 6 litter diesel is so oversized, I can back off the overdrive ratio. But adding a jackshaft wouldn't be the end of the world. My ceramic bearings are only rated to 80,000 and I'd rather stay around 50% of rated.

Dusty

Looks good, I didn't kno they made metallic hi temp paint...

Damn Dave! You're a madman!

will you teach me how?:cheers:

ill buy the beer

Posted (edited)

Finally got thru welding and soda blasting the trans cases today. So I decided to wait till Carol was in bed and wash them. She smelled the oil washing out of the pores in the loonynum from the back bedroom and let me know that I wasn't fooling anybody. Since I'm already in the doghouse I think I'll go run it again.

IMG_20170406_202656148_BURST0011_zpstuir

Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

Whats the best dish washin soap fer tranys? Next thang you'll be cleanin the gears with her tooth brush! Oh oh.......

Started putting the first trans together today.Got ready to attach the sprocket and I'm out of nuts. They might be a tiny bit special at 1 3/16" 24tpi and around a 1/4" thick.Checked online and $17.00 each plus $8 for shipping seseems like the best price unless I do a large order from eastern. So I took a grade 8 1" nut that was well rusted and cut some 1 3/16"x24 threads.

IMG_20170423_162708212[1].jpg

Dusty

Posted (edited)

Cutting the threads.

IMG_20170423_1627126601_zpstamogd38.jpg

Testing the fit.

IMG_20170423_1656385511_zpsoz3br7mk.jpg

Parted it off with the narrowest cutoff tool I have. That way I got 3 nuts. A parting tool would have made 2.

IMG_20170423_170920851_HDR1_zpstfkec1dt.

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

In place and rattle wrench tight.

IMG_20170423_2046439391_zpspepqxzfl.jpg

Dusty

Edited by Dusty_Dave
PhotoBucket!!!!!!!!

Like they say....if ya want it done right...do it yerself!

Since I am only planing to start it with a hand held starter motor. I am going to need a pair of kickstart ratchets that pull when the piece nearest you is rotated to the right and slips when turned to the left. Which is backwards to anything I have. Most any pair of ratchets that were for a 250 or larger should be adaptable. Anybody got anything in their junk? Or even a suggestion of sumptin that would be cheap?  If I have to I can make a pair but that means I have to either work in prehard or harden them.

Dusty

Posted (edited)

Trying to think of a double entendre that includes pre hard or hardened in it🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Markantenna

That sounds dirty

Bought a closeout rebuilt starter for some jap car in fleebay for $14.59 to make my starter out of.

IMG_20170622_181114671_1.jpg Turned the nose cone off and machined a bearing holder to slide into what's left of the nose come. Damn thing ran backwards so I had to rotate the brushes a quarter turn.

IMG_20170629_183758369_BURST000_COVER_1.

Next time I get the desire to work with something harder than a carbide tool I'll make this ratchet fit the starter and the one just like it fit the transmission shaft.IMG_20170629_183816979_BURST000_COVER_1.

I'm trying out Postimg.org since everybody is having troubles with photobucket.

Dusty

Hay Cliffno350,

Are you gonna come through on those pistons? I'm getting pretty close to needing them to do some test fitting. Should I start looking on fleebay instead?

Dusty