• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Dusty_Dave

A Bonneville Indian

107 posts in this topic

Got tired of dreading turning the splines out of those ratchets so I started today. No way I was gonna be able to take an interrupted, cut tool steel wont touch it and a carbide insert wont handle that kind of interruption. So I dug the tool post grinder out and reached in with a 4mm diamond .

IMG_20170712_185808335_HDR_1.jpg

Left a little of the spline on this one to hold it straight.

IMG_20170712_201448949_1.jpg

Ground then filed (diamond file) so it would engage the flats.

IMG_20170712_201505837_1.jpg

Dusty

Smoothing up the bronze on the bottom of a square base cylinder.

Dusty

ScoutCylinderbaseRepair.jpg

Im just cleaning the rust in shit off a 741 cylinder . bloody heavy little thing . looking at the pics of cyl in the lathe .. crikey that must be considerable off set flying around .

george yarocki said sleeving should only be down to the ring wear mark . he had cylinders pop off but then they werent square base either .

on knucklehead theology , lees speed shop , instead of boring he hones them round again , squeeze more life out

Edited by friday

Yep if you turn them over about 60 rpm or so the lathe dances and they may fly off the chuck. If the mill wasn't down for repairs I might consider it instead. Since the camera caught it that clear I was probably around 30 rpm. Even sq base popped off occasionally. You got no problem with that on the 741 cylinders. and Scouts only seemed to do it with seriously modified engines running hard. Once the welding is done I will take a slightly less than minim cleanup with the boring bar the go to smooth with the hone. To save as much wall as I can then fit the piston buttons to that cylinder. Then the engine will be supported to the frame under the main bearing bosses  and loaded from the frame down in the center of the heads. The pistons will have about .040 clearance with 4 PEEK buttons on each side in the thrust face to hold them straight.  

Dusty

PEEK buttons ? is this anything like the S&S teflon thingies over the wrist pin ? OR are these imbedded in the undersize skirt.....the .040 clearance bit , interesting if so .

what do you think of the Ohio , EAA pistons on ebay ?   I assume they are Taiwanese or fijian

Yes thrust buttons in the skirt like a AA Fuel Dragster. I will use peek buttons on the wrist pins also.

Didn't see the pistons on fleebay

Dusty