• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ratrodder69

tig problems

8 posts in this topic

Ok I know that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure but ocasionally I get ahead of my self while tig welding and will get to a spot that splatters out and then doesn't want to close up the "hole" is there a easy way to fix this? I've tried grinding it out and trying again but the pock mark keeps coming back!!! WTF I'm assuming this is from contaminants? How do I get rid of it? Was doing an exhaust and finally just ground out the problem areas and zapped it with the MIG and cured it but that can't be the "right" way.

Sounds to me like maybe the shielding gas is dissipating when you get to the end of the bead. Try adjusting your post flow and keep the torch in position to shield the weld after you cut power to the torch.

No it happens in the middle not at the end I am could I need to up my flow? Running it at about 19? I am using straight argon should I run mix?

Strait Argon is what you need. It sounds like contamination. How clean it the surface you're welding on? Any surface contamination or grease/oil can/will fuck up you day. You may need to clean the back side of the weld as well.

Try bumping you're flow and be sure to keep the gas surrounding the arc/weld.

Edited by slime

I've had that happen before on a fuel tank. Looks like lil sparklies burning out? Be sure the inside where you're welding is clean too. Back your torch out a little ( hold it farther away from the puddle ) and weld a little colder. I also started using mig wire as a filler ( on thin stuff ) with the tig so I can use less heat.

Thanks guys I'm sure its contaminants I never thought about the back side!!! Thanks lockman that's what I was wondering I kept getting closer with more heat.

Gas backup. Run the argon (if you can) in the pipe as well. It shields the inside too. That's how dairy pipe fitters can weld sanitary welds. I'm not a welder but yeah, I am always told and see the welders cleaning the mating surfaces, Giving me some insights so i can fuck up less at home.

Edited by shwank

If it's galvanized exhaust pipe you must clean off the galvanizing before tig welding. Inside and out.( only in the weld joint)