• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Dieselchanic

CB750 project-A ratty knobby contraption

50 posts in this topic

I just picked up a 1975 cb750 as an unfinished project. I know very little about the cb's so I'm going to need some help. First off, the forks are in serious need of attention. I plan to replace them in the future but for right now I need to get them serviceable. Can anyone tell me if these are even the correct forks for the bike?

post-16932-140883377881_thumb.jpg

The springs have been shortened inside and the tubes are rusty so they're not real nice but I'll put the right spacers in when I have them apart and just cover the rust.

Next thing, it doesn't have a wiring harness. After looking at a few diagrams I think all I'll need to build my own harness is a regulator and rectifier. Is this correct?

And lastly.... A few pics of the beast.

post-16932-140883395029_thumb.jpg

post-16932-140883396171_thumb.jpg

post-16932-140883397295_thumb.jpg

I like the CB's. But it it truly missing one IMPORTANT thing.

nmr_zps0790463c.gif

The lowers look right for a CB.......but that almost looks like a Sportster headlight and mount? Personally I think the CB brakes are ugly as sin, I would find a set of forks with better looking callipers and not bother to deal with the stockers. Is this something you're gonna flip or keep to ride?

A ratty knobby contraption.......seems like I saw a movie about one of them once. :surrender:

I plan to just get it running for the rest of the summer. I'll shave off all the tabs on the forks cuz it's got a drum brake 23" on the front.

Eventual plan is to build a frame for it for a 12" over springer I've got. Been wanting a long chop for a while now...

I like it. The next one on my chopping block is going to mostly stock but hartailed and raked and lowish.

Lowers look like stock CB

headlight mount look custome or HD

It has great lines

don't know if I like the big front wheel

but over all looks great

I have had only (and I have 7) cb 750 with 4 into 1

post-16583-0-05836400-1408922581_thumb.j

that would be War Machine

He has a great sound and clears most bumps

Now 2 of our ladies are well very diffrent

Voices

post-16583-0-30954800-1408922501_thumb.j

is a sleeper

big bore kit and she is fast

we have hit 115 in 4th and riding 2 up

Our favorite girl is Skull

we average between 9,000 and 13,000 miles a year on this bike

post-16583-0-04816800-1408922536_thumb.j

oh thats Death Valley behind her

You have a great starting place with yours

WW

oh one more thing

it only takes 11 wires to run a 750

thats lights and all

I don't know if we have a wiring diagram on here

but you can get one over at

hondachoppers.com

just a heads up

oh one more thing

it only takes 11 wires to run a 750

thats lights and all

I don't know if we have a wiring diagram on here

but you can get one over at

hondachoppers.com

just a heads up

Thanks wolf. I've looked at a few diagrams and ordered a reg/rec combo... I'll attempt a wire job when I get that in. It looks similar to other bikes Ive wired though

Well, you know me...

Posted Image

I just couldn't handle how that tail was on wrong. So after measuring a bajillion times, I got it back on..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks purty good, there pal. How much clearance you expect under the header when done?

Looks purty good, there pal. How much clearance you expect under the header when done?

It's got about 1 1/2" right now but the forks are pulled cuz of the straps and the front tire is flat. Maybe 4"? Like someone commented on ig.. "It'll wear in..." :)

Looks much better I like the big wheel and knobys

Yeah, I thought it would stand back up some when unbound. Just couldn't tell how much room ya had from the angle of the pic. Hope you don't get caught in the rain with that 23" knobby... the 21" on the deathtrap slings one helluva rooster tail. I could only imagine what yours would do!

Edited by rustyhillbilly

The forks were in pretty rough shape on the cb750. So bad in fact that the chrome is gone in places where the friction is the greatest inside the lower leg. I ordered new seals and boots and figured I'd just do the best I could with what I had and see if I could get them to work.

Posted Image

Disassembly-

I looked up a few 'how tos' online to see how the forks were put together so I'd know how to pull them apart. It's actually simple and fairly easy to do. First I pulled the big but off the top of the leg and pulled the spring out. The springs had previously been cut 2" to lower the forks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next I pulled the bolt out of the bottom of the lower and took it the rest of the way apart.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I removed the snap ring and the old seals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then I drove the new seals in. You need some type of driver to push the seals in that fits inside the fork but pushes on the outer edge of the seal. I turned down a 1 1/4" PVC coupler to fit. It works great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see how the inside of the leg is scored...:/

I reassembled it all after cleaning it up, then added 5.5 ounces of Mercon III transmission fluid. I didn't bother to make the 2" spacers they need on the top out spring to compensate for the shorter main springs because I don't know yet if they'll work this low.

After getting it all back together I cut off all the brake/fender mounting tabs and polished the lowers. Then I installed some new Daystar shock boots. I've used these boots before and love them. They're super cheap and fit most forks, plus you can cut them to length..

Posted Image

That's it for now on the forks until I see how they perform.

That's a pretty amazing transformation.

Well fast forward to today (or Saturday, I guess) and I've done a few things here and there, like start on the wiring harness and oil tank, but more on that later...

I picked up an old Harley fender from a friend and narrowed it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And then mounted it..

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made the rear brake stay and lengthened the brake rod..

Posted Image

It had a sportster headlight and mount retrofit on when I got it. I didn't really like it but time is of the essence so I reused the mount and mounted an ancient yellow light I snagged off eBay a long time ago..

Posted Image

Posted Image

I had to clearance the back of the bucket to get it to fit like I wanted.

Posted Image

That's where it sits now.

Posted Image

Jealous of your humps! Sew it yourself? On what?

Ya I did it myself. On my wife's Pfaff:) just a regular sewing machine with a heavy needle and upholstery thread from Joann's. It's covered in vinyl imitation leather. Machine won't do real leather...

Never really liked the 750 factory tank but it looks awsome on that bike

Seat looks kickass too