• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Markantenna

Cb900f steering stem

11 posts in this topic

So I also posted this in the frame section I have a set of 900f trees minus the stem that came with a complete front end I removed my stem from my cb400t tree and pressed it in to where it needs to be to allow my bearing to sit properly but on the underside of the tree there is a 3mm gap as in the stem from the 400 is a little shorter than the 900 or the bottom tree is a little deeper if that makes sense the stem clamps in with a bolt and nut my question being would it be a good idea to run a bead of weld on the inside of the tree to the stem. Sorry for lack of pics that would help but my stupid iPhone and laptop aren't being freinds at the moment hopefull putting up some pics soon

Edited by Markantenna

talking less than 1/8"

if the "engagement" is the same as it was on the original tree its probably okay as is

but for safety sake, assuming the tree and stem are steel.. i would not hesitate to weld it

my 3 cents worth (inflation you know)

Edited by stacebg

Cool thanks for the input I will be welding it will post some pics when I do I got another project on the go when it's finished I will be starting a cafe build using the 900 front end so will be posting it on there too

Make sure the bearings, collar nuts and stem nut fit BEFORE you weld. That said, it should be welded since it was welded before.

Honda used the same bearings on a bunch of different length stems so assemble the stackup first.

So mocked up and my steering stem is too short so will be looking for a second hand set of trees just out of curiosity if one was to weld a inch and a half peice of bar turned to the same diameter of the stem to the bottom of the stem how safe or unsafe would this be?

So mocked up and my steering stem is too short so will be looking for a second hand set of trees just out of curiosity if one was to weld a inch and a half peice of bar turned to the same diameter of the stem to the bottom of the stem how safe or unsafe would this be?

I would think it would be a quick way to get killed myself. If you have the technology to turn an extension why not just turn a new stem? Should be easy enoungh to spin one up in a lathe. Just single point the threads to whatever pitch you want and turn out a custom nut for it.

Yeah figured that it was probably not such a great idea. I don't have access to a lathe would love to own one though so will be looking for a second hand stem or trees .

Why not use the 900 stem? Wrong bearing size? Might be able to find a bearing that will work with the 900 stem and the 400 frame.

No I was given the top and bottom tree with a front end I bought but the p/o had removed the stem and used it in another build being the bearing sizes are the same thought I would use the 400 stem but it's not as long as the 900 stem so looks like I will have to source another stem or a complete set of trees

The way it is the 400 stem doesn't come out the top tree far enough to get the top nut on