• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Markantenna

Wheel stand

14 posts in this topic

A while ago I posted an engine stand project and I was quite happy with the result I built it using scrap I got from work and welded it with a stick welder I used it as a learning project and along with some other things I'm pretty happy with my welds. So now I have got myself a tig and my first project to teach myself along with lots of utube is fabbing a stand to relace and true my wheels on my current build, I picked up a bottle of argon and a bunch of consumables and tommorrow is my day off so will post some pics and most probably be asking for advice. Cheers

Gotta practice more I think I was moving to slow and had my torch on too much of a lean

Here are some of my first practice attempts first time ever using tig all tips and advice welcome.

post-27145-0-95563400-1425645386_thumb.j

post-27145-0-68642000-1425645417_thumb.j

post-27145-0-25581100-1425645439_thumb.j

I'm not a welder but get a new piece of steel and mark each pass with the heat settings to try and keep better track of your progress and then you can reference back later on.

It looks hot to me but what do I know?

Yeah thanks shwank that sounds like a good idea. This was my last weld before I packed up

post-27145-0-05739200-1425673272_thumb.j

so my welder is a pretty basic scratch start tig limited control no foot control etc. was wondering if I rigged a foot switch in to cut the power at the end of my weld to let the gas flow over the weld is this a good idea? The switch would be only to cut the power to the unit at the end of the weld to stop the arc

so my welder is a pretty basic scratch start tig limited control no foot control etc. was wondering if I rigged a foot switch in to cut the power at the end of my weld to let the gas flow over the weld is this a good idea? The switch would be only to cut the power to the unit at the end of the weld to stop the arc

That will help with the hole in the middle of the puddle when you stop. If you don't have a pedal it seems to help to light up on a piece of scrap get the arc stabilized and then scoot onto the weld.

Dusty

Did you go with Harbor Freight ?

Edited by sasquach

Dat's a good idear Dave, I'll try it next time.