oldschoolpaulie

Weld-in pop-up gas cap dilemma

7 posts in this topic

When we were putting my bike together years ago, I made the mistake of buying a gas cap on ebay. It was a weld-in pop-up version, surely for a standard Harley size, but the tank/cap went on my metric. The problem that has arisen since last summer, is that it will begin to seep gas out on the low side, letting it run down my high-dollar paint. The only way I've found to avoid this, is to unscrew the cap when I park it for the day, and just set it in the recess to keep out contaminants, without screwing it in. I also pull it off and put it back on whenever I stop for lunch or something while out riding- but even this practice often results in the leaking of fuel when I'm out riding, especially on hot days.

The cap is vented, as I can blow out air through it from the bottom. I figured it was the gasket, so I searched pop-up gas caps on the net, and though the ones from Pro One looked like what I had, so I got a new gasket from them... the problem was that, while the gasket went on the cap fine, when I tried to put it in the tank, it was just barely a few thousandths too big in diameter.
I emailed a photo of the cap to Pro One, and they said it wasn't theirs. They recommended checking with Pat Hotch, so I emailed the photos to him. He, too, said it wasn't his, and when I asked if he had any ideas who might have made it, he said he had no idea- and added that, during the bike boom, companies sprung up all over making knock-offs, and ultimately went out of business after the 2009 crash.
I sent the pics to Custom Chrome, and it isn't theirs, either.
Next, I hit the hardware stores and plumbing supplies. My brother, a foreman at a water treatment plant, said he had a large assortment of gaskets and O-rings at work we could sift through- no luck there. I even contacted a company that custom-makes gaskets to order, measured it with my dial caliper, and got an estimate- $290 for 50 gaskets- the minimum number they can cost effectively make. (Not very cost-effective for me)
Today, I'll be out riding, and plan to take the cap into my local Freedom Cycle outlet- they're well-known for making an effort to drag out what they have to see if it works with your application.
If I strike out there, I'm out of ideas.
Hopefully, there's someone here who knows gas caps and might have a good suggestion.

The cap and original gasket. If anyone can ID it, that would be great.

post-18826-0-53580700-1430538907_thumb.j

post-18826-0-99818900-1430538923_thumb.j

post-18826-0-57579000-1430538930_thumb.j

post-18826-0-47563500-1430538938_thumb.j

post-18826-0-59579200-1430538942_thumb.j

Wonder if they picked up that stuff from a truck shop.Sure looks like the gaskets on some oil fills I've seen.And that would splaine why it didn't last long in gasoline.

Dusty.

Well, my brother gave me a simple O ring to try, and suprisingly, it somehow has solved the problem entirely.

post-18826-0-47749100-1434168581_thumb.j

Edited by oldschoolpaulie

Old thread, but still trying to solve this, if anyone has any new ideas.

Uh, I'm guessing it's either a non-venting "vented gas cap," or it's a completely in-redeemable piece of shit, and you should throw it away and start over.

you did ask.