• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Kwazai

Springer Mod questions

7 posts in this topic

post-1486-0-96888700-1433864654_thumb.jppost-1486-0-91142400-1433864255_thumb.jp post-1486-0-89767200-1433864281_thumb.jp

Turning radius is not sufficient. Is their a springer rake and trail calculator online somewhere?

I was thinking to shorten the forks and change the top tree to fit it right. I'd also thought about using 2x4 11ga. tube as a gooseneck by cutting close to the neck and running the tubing parallel under the backbone with neck raked on its end. Has anyone used machined/lathe plug welded sockets to shorten the legs on a springer?(cut em short and add the 'socket' to the end to reattach the rockers to).

post-1486-0-28594600-1433864305_thumb.jp post-1486-0-83896600-1433864333_thumb.jp

The FM came from a ditch witch and I'd picked up the sporty piece from ebay. Looks like a oil pump gear is a close swap for this one. The xs tach drive is a lot skinnier and longer/out of clearance/alignment than the sprty tach drive, but bolting to the side cover with gear looked reasonable even if at 90 degree to the cover. alternator side with a toothed belt looked reasonable too. I'm looking a decent starting point motor wise.Salvage bikes were locked up bottom end and jugs.

do a google search for springer front end rake and trail. first thing that comes up is chopper handbook, you're info is in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Brian Lee

how many inches is it from the axle to the back bolt on the rockers

post-1486-0-70314300-1435156687_thumb.jp

4-3/4" c2c. front leg is 3" c2c. 36" to cl of bottom tree.

post-1486-0-89767200-1433864281_thumb.jp

If I cut the neck close to the neck tube is there enough room for a 2x4 11ga. short gooseneck to slide under the frame backbone? I'd seen them a few years back on one of the trump sites.

Edited by Kwazai

with a fork set up like that you will never have a decent turn radius as fa r as trail is concerned I havwe been researching this and have found that that the flop factor is more important than gthe tril http://chopperhandbook.com/rockers.htmgo to this site am

nd read it I am having a set of rockers cut that will drop the front end 4.5 inches on my buils on a triumph with a 5" up and out frame with a 4" ext in the rear and it will set my bike about pretty much level with my fat ass on it this is a very good article on springer set up it's basically what sugar bear does with his springers now bear in mind this is just my opinion and is definatly not gospel bur damn if it don't make sense to me

Anything with in 2 and 9 inchs of trail will ride!

You got 5 inchs of trail That Is GREAT ride the damn thing!

2 inchs would be perfect on a large rake non sugarbear rocker springer.

No need to change thou you got 5 inchs of trail

Edited by CustomizeIT