• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
painless

En450 slammed stretched chop

29 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I picked up a pretty beat 86 454ltd...she was dirt cheap, ran ok, and had a 6 speed and belt drive. Perfect donor for a chop, or so I thought. It sat in the garage until I could decide exactly what I was going to do with it. A while ago I found a chain conversion for it, finished getting a better welding setup pieced together, and decided to get started...so here goes nothing!

I expect the build to take about 6 months or so to complete.

Posted Image

Day 1 teardown

Posted Image

Got the motor out, and took everything down to the basement

Posted Image

Mock up with a bit of stretch...not enough

Posted Image

Put together a jig from a bunch of surplus 2x4 stock I had laying around...it isn't as good as a nice steel one will be, but it was free

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Bent up a couple of backbones, and a pair of downtubes...Posted Image

Think I'm digging this

Posted Image

The other backbone

Posted Image

Posted Image

Backbone, downtubes, neck, and bottom frame braces tacked up. Motor sitting in it, fits the frame really well I think....now working on bottom wishbone, more later

Posted Image

Made a template

Posted Image

Cut bottom rails to size, and prepped for slugs

Posted Image

Bottom wishbone bent, slugged, twisted, and tacked....upper wishbone next

Posted Image

Upper wishbone tacked up...now for the hard/slow part...first things first, need to get the rear wheel on, line up sprockets, then I can do the engine mounts, and tensioners to keep the chain out of my junk....least its starting to look like a bike now.....kinda

Posted Image

Couldn't resist mocking up some tins on it to catch some vibes....thinking I need to do something fat in the rear fender dept....otherwise, I'm digging it

Comin out nice, but watch putting much weight on that rear frame-you lost triangulation with those horizontal tubes, you might want to think bracing.

Yeah, the more I look at those, the more I'm trying to sort out the best way to distribute the load...kinda wondering if boxing that whole section in with 3/8 would be sufficient, or if I ought to try a different approach to the wishbone sections

After a bit of looking, and thinking...I'm going to cut off the rear wishbones and put them together with better angles...should still be pretty cool looking I hope, but I'd rather err on the safe side...working tonight, but hopefully, ill get some torch time in while I'm off the next couple of nights

I think I would run a coupla vertical tubes from upper to lower tubes at front of fender area and then run the lower tubes up to the axle at a 45o angle. Of course the chain might be in the way?

I'm going to try bending up a new pair of bottom legs with a better angle, then make a hoop for the upper legs...I'll connect the hoop to the backbone in 3 places. A single leg from the lower part of the backbone/seat stem, and then 2 more legs from backbone down to the hoop...thinking this should give it a lot more load bearing resistance, as well as some torsional stiffness its lacking now..planning on adding a gusset between lower wishbone and upper hoop as well.

Ok....so, I finally got some time to sneak down into the basement, and get some work done on my frame. I cut off the rear wishbones and started over on them.

Posted Image

New bottom legs

Posted Image

Wishbone top hoop

Posted Image

New seat tube structure.

Posted Image

My eldest kid decided to help today...best feeling ever when you can work side by side with your kid.

Looks way stronger, flows better too. How's yer chain clearing everything?

I'm not sure yet, but there should be plenty of room under the seat for it to flow through. I'm planning on using an idler/tensioner there. The next time I get a chance to work on it, I'm going to try and get the wheels mounted, and make the engine mounts

You probably don't wanna run a tensioner on the upper or "pulling" stretch of chain, that would put a lot of stress on everything. And , oh yeah, the safety glasses go over the eyes! lol Teach em' young...

Posted Image

Hehe...I didnt even notice while we were bending tube, but welding, grinding, or cutting I watch em like a hawk...having a piece of steel removed from an eye isn't much fun...only one way to find that out

It's a bike!

Ok, not quite, but I did get her off the jig, and on to her own 2 wheels...

Now to order a giant chain, and an idler to build a tensioner with. I'll get a longer straightedge down there to line up the sprockets with and get motor mounts made in the meantime. Pretty stoked how it's shaping up, but the rear fender is killing me

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image