• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Fund Raiser   10/02/2017

ok sooooooooooooo here's the deal I am hoping to have a new hosting site by the end Nov middle of Dec That being said I have had only 2 peeps offering to help support the site So I think those who want to help should hold on to your cash till then. I do not want to take any money and then the site close (cause that would not be right) Many be can find some extra before then so no one has to pitch in. That's it for now Thanks WhiteWolf  
motorsickle1130

01 Sporty chop

105 posts in this topic

Finally going to put together a hard tail. Been putting it off for years but now that I've acquired a sportster through some horse trading, I have no choice. Can't stand the squat stance unless it's an iron or a nightster, which this isn't.

I've started putting a budget together for the build, but I'm having to balance the cost with maintaining two other bikes, finishing up putting a third back together, and the glories of home ownership.

I figure if I keep it constrained to only the necessary parts being bought, I can keep it under $1K.

What I'm struggling with is I hate the stock wheels and want mags for not only looks but also I don't want to think about tubes for spokes. I also dig the chain, but would rather run the belt for a hassle/oil sling free ride. I have most of the stock equipment that my buddy pulled off it, and will be going back to a hand clutch/foot shift set up. I'm also figuring on selling some of the parts to help offset some of the cost of the build.

==>So here's the question: if I go with some used SPORTSTER mags, will the belt limit me for which stock sized rims/tires I can run? A 150 rear would be nice, but I'm not overly concerned about it, especially since I can get metzeler 880s for pretty cheap in the 130 rear size.

Feedback is usually appreciated. :thumbsup:

post-25881-0-84848200-1455473492_thumb.j

post-25881-0-75001600-1455473514_thumb.j

Forgot to mention it needs new rubber too, so a swap now is the best time.

Here's the first thing I did last weekend: couldn't stand how loud the straight pipes were, and I've got neighbors. Was thinking about adding some length and a can to the pipes but just stuffing some stainless mesh in there worked pretty well. Probably just going to run it, though maybe put some prettier bolts in.

Also made a simple little key fob last night.

Some mesh, two bolts, and some leather; Making big progress!! lol :HAHA:

post-25881-0-57968100-1455476680_thumb.j

post-25881-0-54160100-1455476705_thumb.j

Should be able to clear a 150 with a belt on stock mags. may need to run a narrower belt but that's no big deal.

Just so happens that I just got a 93 sporty with mags and I am looking for a spiked front and a fat boy rear. Where you at? Wanna trade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure but it's not a fat boy out back. It's just the stock solid 130mm. I'm out in oregon, ill pay your shipping if you pay mine; that is if you're still interested.

I sent you a pm about the wheel swap

Thanks to tat2d, the prospect of having to strip the wheels off and get em sent has got me thinking in a much shorter time table. Just sent the money for the HiH hard tail, and am planning on putting the bike up on blocks tomorrow and stripping off the wheels. To make space, the Honda is getting parked under the carport; sorry little guy.

I also picked up most of the extra parts from my buddy yesterday, and started going through them today. Going to try to piece the electrical back together to at least get the speedo working. Will also have to piece the hand clutch back together, as he lost a couple small parts along the way.

Will post some pics tomorrow, assuming I get my butt in gear, and the lady doesn't come up with some activities or chores for the day.

I got my Bagger straightened out and ended up having to change a solenoid out. I am planning on taking it to my buddies to stash it and then I am gonna go get my sporty today and start tearing it down. I will have wheels ready to ship soon.

Can't wait to see what you have in store for your bike

Cool, what kinda bagger?

Got the bike up on "rolling" blocks, but then I ran out of gas before I started striping. Wheels off are next priority.

post-25881-0-71774700-1456096400_thumb.j

I have a 1984 Electra glide with all the trimmings. Stretched bags, 21" front wheel, 600 watt stereo system and air ride.

It is chopped tho so that cool right haha. And in Tcu fashion i built and stretched it all right in my garage Posted Image

Lol. Sure it will. A little time and know how go a long way. I had always wanted a Bagger then seen how cool they could be so I grabbed one and now the wife is happy while out riding.

Wheels are off and on their way to NJ to Tat2d.

Pulled some other stuff off and was hoping to get the whole wiring harness off in more or less one piece. Will probably leave the wiring attached to the forks and trees when I pull them.

Hoping to get the rest stripped this weekend, but that depends on the weather and the lady.

Been looking into oil tanks and battery trays. Will probably do my own tank in a horse shoe style with room behind/under for electrical crap and just put the battery underneath.

I also picked up a new clutch cable last weekend and will look at getting that mocked up and back on the bars.

Also spotted this home built in the back talk section and definitely put the solid rear, spoke front in a different light. Also may keep the tins mostly steel, though I'd probably clear coat them at least.

post-25881-0-34993600-1457043311_thumb.j

post-25881-0-62371200-1457043338_thumb.j

Looking good man. I am thinking about making my own oil tank as well like a horseshoe shape kinda and battery tray underneath.

Didn't make much progress yesterday. Spent most if the day re-organizing the garage and getting tools organized into a tool cart.

Did put the speedo back together though, but now it only has the 3 wires off the speed sensor. Ill have to make mount for it, which will probably include the single mirror bracket and maybe down off one side of the handlebars. Not sure yet.

Also got the clutch lever and cable back on the bars. Haven't pulled the jockey shift set up yet, but it'll probably be for sale if anyone is interested.

post-25881-0-81368200-1457186826_thumb.j

Edited by motorsickle1130

Looking good bro. I wish my motor looked that clean

Yeah, that was somebody else's doing. My vrod is grungy. The bikes get washed about twice a year.

Also, the tranny is coated in oil and grime; another reason I'm thinking of switching back to belt drive.

Wheels just got here yesterday. Motors coming out this weekend, and hoping to have the frame ready to get hacked up. Still waiting to hear about the hardtail getting shipped.

post-25881-0-26104200-1457617607_thumb.j

Not that there's been much to follow, but here's an update, of sorts....

The bad:

It's still going to be the Chevy 350 of bikes.

My Vrod's ignition has finally taken a shit, thereby taking money and energy away from the sporty.

My bandits clutch and fork seals are apparently toast, thereby doing the same as the Vrod.

I'm thinking the Honda has to go. 4 bikes is too many to try to upkeep at the moment.

The Good:

It's still the Chevy 350 of bikes! Cheap spare parts!

Finally got a shipping receipt for the hardtail, so it's on it's way. So that means the rest of bike Will be coming apart this weekend.

Once the other bikes are set, they'll be set for the year, thereby allowing me to focus on the sporty.

The lady expressed interest in keeping the Honda and learning to ride.

And finally, it's Oregon, so I have another 6 months before I need to worry about the crap weather stopping.

Motor's finally out. Hoping to get the frame cleaned up and marked for cutting sometime today or tomorrow. Spring opener ride tomorrow but of course that's when the rain starts again. May or may not go.

Looking into swapping to mid controls from the forwards I've got.

post-25881-0-11288200-1458404669_thumb.j

post-25881-0-88600300-1458404698_thumb.j

Nuthin' wrong with 350 Chevys! Now comes the fun part, cuttin',grindin',weldin' & more grindin', & sandin'

Nuthin' wrong with 350 Chevys! Now comes the fun part, cuttin',grindin',weldin' & more grindin', & sandin'

And cussin lol

Re-measured the frame yesterday, and turns out it was dead nuts. Managed to get it tacked, measured again, and then did final welds. Got 90% done, and then ran out of wire. Well fuck. Going to pick up some more .030 tomorrow and finish that portion.

Probably try to get the welds cleaned up this weekend and start fitting the rear wheel and making a plan for the rear brake stop.

post-25881-0-76803000-1459826198_thumb.j

post-25881-0-55091500-1459826256_thumb.j