tat2dmthrfckr

93 sportster hardtail lanesplitter

68 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I am starting a build thread for my 93 that I just acquired that should see some progress real soon. The hardtail is on its way from tcbros already and I have been busy making stuff for it while I wait on the weather to be above 30 degrees so I can take my Bagger to my buddies house for storage.

Anyhow I started building a tank for it Posted Image

And as I posted in general chatter here is the gas cap that goes on it Posted ImagePosted Image

Still have to cut out the stock filler necks and make a tunnel for the tank but I will get to that soon.

I am thinking I am gonna run mid controls on this one. (Weird I always wanted forwards now I get a bike with forwards and want mids haha.)

Once this things get rolling should be a pretty painless process until I get to wiring and shit. ☹ I hate the wiring part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention; I did the wiring chopping to my buddies (now my) bike. I can try to draw up a diagram based off the stock drawings if you can give me some specs of what you want/dont want.

Thanks for the offer. I am good at it just don't like it. I wired up my Bagger from scratch and everything works lol.

I did some rearranging in my one car garage and think I have figured how to get three bikes, two tool boxes, a bike table, a 9"x42" lathe, two welders and a welding table to fit haha. I am supposed to take delivery of the bike tonight. I got the hardtail in last week and damn is it nice. If I get the bike tonight as planned I will be tearing it apart rather quickly and hoping I can weld on the hardtail by Monday.

I started working on some weld on risers and a potential set of handle bars for it. Posted Image

I still have to angle the cope on the risers once I figure out how I want the bars positioned. I ain't entirely sure I am gonna use these bars as they were buckhorns and they pull back a lot. We will see.

Anyways just a little worthless update haha and a pic of my new floor plan of my tiny shop

Posted Image

So I took delivery of the bike tonight finally and I have it almost stripped. Gotta pull the ignition wires, charging wires and the oil pressure wires. Then pull the motor mounts, and motor out and then take the Swing arm and front end off and hack the frame in half. While the motor is out it will be getting a bath for sure. I -I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!--I LUV XLF!-ing hate greasy ass oil caked motors.

The motor is currently "shitty spray bomb" black. I will be getting at least the covers blasted and cleared.

Hoping to work on it tomorrow after work and hope to be welding the hardtail on.

Posted Image

Well I got the frame stripped down to its skivies and it get cut tonight. Will probably have it as a roller tonight or sometime tomorrow.

After seeing the condition the wiring harness is in I will most likely be doing the wiring from scratch and I am most likely gonna do a compufire or similar ignition so I can ditch the module.

More progress soon.

Posted Image

Well I got the frame cleaned, deburred, and my rosette holes drilled. Slid the frame together no problem and threw the motor in and everything lined up. Not the way it usually goes for me lol. Something must be wrong because it was to easy.

I got the frame tacked up and as welded as I could with the motor in the frame and then pulled the motor back out and finished welding it up.

Progress is probably gonna slow down a minute. I am gonna have to build a new table as this one is to high for my likings as a bike table.

Anyhow here is a pic Posted Image

Got the motor back in it and I am waiting on wheels from motorsickle so in the mean time I made up a top motor mount

Got the motor back in it and I am waiting on wheels from motorsickle to show up and get some tires on them so I started making up a top motor mount.

Posted Image

Turned the bungs out of 3/4" solid stock and drilled and counterbored the head bungs and then domed drilled and tapped the frame bungs. Bent up some 1/2" solid stock and came up with this.

Posted Image

I am gonna mount the coil off of it once I get it on its wheels so I can make sure the coil is level. The space in between the coil and the rounded bungs will house a kill switch, maybe a push button start and the oil and neutral idiot lights.

To hell with idiot lights! You should at least go with an oil temp gauge. I'm figuring on doing at least that and an actual oil pressure gauge.

Haha. I am only gonna do an oil and a neutral.

I got a little garage time today. Got a tunnel roughed out for the tank and got the old bungs cut out. Might try and sneak back the garage tonight so make up a patch panel and continue shaping the tunnlel and get it all good to go.

Pics to come after while

So I got my wheels in and the tires mounted up today. Got some more work in on tank as well and then pulled it off the fucking table so I had to cut the tunnel back out and work out a huge dent.

Posted Image

looking primo!

Thanks man. And thanks again for the wheels.

Same to you. Glad it worked out.

Looking forward to see how you finish it off.

So I got some work done on the tank. I got the debt massaged out and got the tunnel back in it. Next is onto the mounts for it and then the petcock bung. Gonna pressure test it then and the welding the gas cap. Then onto the other crap on the list. Battery box, oil tank, fender struts, headlight mount blah blah blah lol

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Gotta rear tank mount roughed out. Front mount is up next.