• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motorsickle1130

Hobart 140 got enough nuts?

8 posts in this topic

Hey all.

My question relates to welding a new hardtail on the rear of my sporty. I'm working with a Hobart Handler 140 that runs off 115v

It's a wire feed and I've got gas hooked up. I'm running .030 wire in it right now but I could bump that up to .035 if need be.

So here's the question: the hammer in hand customs video on youtube says the smallest size welder to use should be a 175. However, it didn't appear that they prepped any of their materials, so I figure if I go through with a flap disc and take all the edges down to 45* for the outer half thickness of the material and do a couple plug welds, it'll probably be ok. If all else fails, I figured I'd make a second pass to get enough weld to match the OD of the frame.

What're y'all's thoughts?

im thinking your good BUT im no welder, ive got the same welder. im sure you could turn that machine up enough to burn that frame in half you aint building a motor mount for a cat.

I've tried welding 16 ga. doing the V-notch thing with a 110V welder and it's reall easy to burn through. Try practicing first and cut your joints open to see how they look on the inside before committing. Get a junk bicycle mebbe they're everywhere. Mebbe you don't really need to notch it. Also you can magically get fine welds with notching and then the next one you burn through like a bastard. So for me I'd say it's variable without a lot of practice.

Edited by inappropriate

A welder of this ampreage can be used to make frame modifacations.

It has to be at the highest settings and used within the 30 % duty cycle. That means weld 3 mins and let sit 7 mins out of ten to cool the internal componets of the machine.

The .030 wire should be used to allow for deeper penetration needing less current to melt the rod allowing that current to be used in the parent/ materials being welded.

Bevel your edges and leave small gap to allow the filler to burn into this gap.

A pre heat of the parent material is also recommended with low amperage welder like this and can be done with a hand held propane torch. This will prepare the materials to be welded for deeper penetration by raising the surface temperature of the parent material closer to the melting point of the metal.

Edited by CustomizeIT

Bueno. That's the exact answer I was hoping for. Thanks man, you're the best.

Not that this would make a huge difference, but I have my Lincoln 140 on a 120v line. I think that's what the manual recommends. But it's more about material prep.

Both welders are capable to weld 1/4 in materials.

You are only welding 1/8th inch steel tube together.

Prep, and GOOD quality welds will produce welds strong enough welding procedues to modify frames.

You have to stay with in the machines duty cycle and be in the machines highest settings.

The recommended pre heat will insure the initial starting of the weld bead will penetrate deep enough.