• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
VitalesChopShop

A hodgepodge of stuff

50 posts in this topic

This is a project I have been working on since I got out of school in October. It's a total frankenbike but most of the parts are Japanese.

It's a 1970 cb750 frame that I got separate from the forks and triple trees. The motor is a 78 gs 1000 that I couldn't pass up on cl. Scored the tank from medusa Mike at his swap meet. 70's (?) era sportster.wheels off an 82 Yamaha Seca750, seat and rear shocks off a 2015 Indian Scout (place I work at was going to throw them away.) rear fender is a headlight bucket from an Indian chieftain that I cut up to make a fender. Swingarm is off a 92 cb600rr that came free with the engine. I've gotten the majority of the work done in the last 2 weeks. Once it's all assembled I'm going to tear it down for finish welding, paint, wiring, new bearings and final assembly

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted Image

Today's progress. "Make" an axle, make spacers. Tach in brake drum bracket. The exhaust pipe is sitting wayyy too low. Going to have to get creative. Maybe zoomies?

Cool build I love a frankenbike. That's what my build is called in the build section but come to think of it should probably have put it in here the jap section

Edited by Markantenna

Posted Image

Engine is mounted, bars are going place of clip ons. Rear axle is located. The bitch of this is going to be the rear wheel. The wheels are off a seca750 shaft drive and I am determined to make them work on a chain drive

Put on the donor bikes rear wheel, it's already set up for shaft drive but it's not the good looking of a wheel, need some opinions

Posted Image

I personally like the seca wheels better

I personally like the seca wheels better

Me too

Thats a rad lookin bike! ....I never liked the curved spoke wheels, but looks ok on yurs

Edited by joe amyde

Posted Image

I wasn't a big fan of them when I got them but I wanted a 19" front wheel and I couldn't pass on the price. I lowered the rear today by moving the shocks further back. This was the shock angle and seat height I was looking for. I also ordered my rear sprocket today. 47 tooth should give me 3.200 gr. I don't want 160mph top speed, I want to go 80mph between stop lights.

Posted Image going to do a single shock on the right side. The swingarm is asymmetrical and I cannot get the shocks to align parallel. It's like a game of whack a mole, fix one problem and another pops up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted ImagePosted Image no sooner did I post that when my clip on bars arrived

Will a single sided shock work on that style of swingarm?

Lookin good.

Will a single sided shock work on that style of swingarm?

Lookin good.

One way to find out

i built a bike with a seat cove and that thing was a ball breaker

I've ridden a rigid with a shovel head (from a real garden shovel) for 2 years. I'm sure this will be more comfortable. I started mocking up the rear fender bracket last night while watching the storms roll in. Seat is mounted but the support plate needs to be trimmed to access the battery/ wiring hidey holePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Today I flipped the section of metal that was holding the seat down so it would allow the seat to sit flush with the frame. I also got the rear fender sitting where I want it. I can barely fit a finger between it and the tire so I'm going to put on a smaller tire when it's time to final assemble

Should I ditch the shock and go full rigid? The shock is plenty support for the rear and I have to dial it as soft as possible to get any absorption. My problem is the rear fender. In its current state there is about 2 mm between it and the rear tire. I threw on another wheel with a shorter profile and it helps but not much. If I lock in the rear suspension the tire clearance problem goes away but then it will ride like a cement truck. I thought of raising the fender but the line it makes is too beautiful. I also just realized that I could bob the fender even more. Need some inspiration

Posted Image solution to a lot of my problems was to raise the rear shock. In the battle of form and function, function won this round

Bummer but good.

I liked the tight look too, and maybe do something similar on the next one? In the end, though, it has to be rideable.

72949d4a84589226f1263aacdc6276a6.jpg murdered the engine while I wait for enough time to finish the frame. Flat black engine, gloss black frame, gold tank fender and wheels

Also the clutch is torched and I need a new set of steel plates.

Edited by VitalesChopShop

Made the side panels. First attempt was fine but my buddy said it reminded him of an fxr. So I dialed them in a little morePosted ImagePosted Image

I'm going to paint them color of the tank and fender and rivet them on separately