• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
jmann8686

My first xs650 and first build

38 posts in this topic

Well after many years of wanting to build my own bike I finally was able to get a project bike. It is a 1979 XS650. It needs a lot of work and I need to do a lot of research and reading. I have never worked on a Yamaha before so this will be a learning experience from the word go.

My plans are to go through the motor and get it rebuilt. I have a second motor that is seized but I want to see if I can get it running as well. I have not looked at it to see how bad things are. I want to hard tail the frame. I want to do a 2" drop seat hardtail. I want it as barebones as I can go. Nothing special nothing too fancy. It is a budget build with no time frame. So I will asking questions here and posting progress pics as I go along.

Here it is as it sits right now
5242e2698b866c25834bd8f806f2897b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jmann8686

thay are alot of fun! simple to work on. great parts source is 650 central.

The mags are cool. I've got a set for mine but never put them on.

ive built kawasaki and hondas and yamahas but my favorite is yamaha xs650 I just love those things Ive owned like 10 of em I have 2 now that I plan on keeping

So finally got to work on the bike. Got the motor pulled out and found out that I will be replacing the head on it due to some exhaust bolt issues that I have found after pulling the motor. On one side the bolt is broke off and as you can see the exhaust flange is broken. I have a spare motor that I will be swapping parts with it.

Posted Image

So for the time being I started working on the frame. I was going to hard tail it but I decided to do a swing arm chop and do a brat style build with it. So today I cut some

Unwanted stock brackets off.

Posted Image

Next up will be getting some new bushings for the swing arm and getting a visual impact brat kit.

On 8/14/2016 at 8:35 PM, hardrock785 said:

UPDATE!

so far waiting on some parts.  Had to sell some leather goods to pay for parts.  that is how this bike is being funded is through my leather hobby.   I do have some parts for the forks to be rebuilt coming in and some brass bushings for the swing arm.  And I have a Brat Kit coming from Visual Impact.  that should be here on 9/6/16.  I will be starting to shave the forks this week.  Trying to get a roller going by the end of the year.  

First attempt at shaving forks. Got one of the fork lowers shaved. Started on the second one but it was dinner time so it will wait till tomorrow.

6aad98b33ec120299df6799ecf285251.jpgae2ab759a41e39e45073b5b58224aaa5.jpg

Got the forks shaved. Lowered 2". And put back together. And new swing arm bushing put in. Brat kit should be here tomorrow and I will start cutting the frame to get that installed 39fa336954a8f42d05966bb815d20dfe.jpg

Got most of frame cut to get ready to weld on the brat kit. Went over to my dads shop to do the finally cuts and get it welded up and he didn't have any cut off wheels. So it will be Thursday before I can get back to it. But here is a before pic db419384d5061d06b98d098fb7e8fdf5.jpg
And here is what it looks like now
10d969321f53a6ff84a874cd3140c017.jpg

Got it welded on. Waiting on some final parts to arrive then I should have everything to have a roller. 231a8df33c9fa759c67bf5162439a147.jpg9f454b6fe882eaa2324b5b3d392cfbcb.jpg

And with the swing arm and shocks 1ccaa1dfbdd292b346d54fbaaa65c2ff.jpg

On 9/12/2016 at 6:20 AM, skillet said:

Looks real NICE!!!

skillet

14 hours ago, hardrock785 said:

looks great, I like the seat rails!

Thanks guys.  

where did you get them shocks?

Came on the bike when I got it. Not to sure where they came from. They are 10-1/2 from eye to eye though.