• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoopty388

Gertrude Shagnasty III my 1882 yamaha 400 maxim

5 posts in this topic

I've been a member here for a while, and I am starting a new post for her as my old one is almost 10 years old and I've taken time to do a build sheet...and as with the rest of my life, a new start is in order..I will try to keep this updated....

This is Gertrude Shagnasty III, my chopper modeled after the jammer / bar hopper bikes of the 70s. Hence the the very low seat (only about 2 feet from the ground ) and even though they are not ape hangers the bars are a bit of a reach at about 4 -4 1/2 feet from the ground....it also has mid control which were common on this style bike....before I give the specs....a little history....I built this bike about 10 years ago with my 2 year old daughter by my side....she learned to turn a wrench on this bike. I had it pretty much done just needed tail lights wired when I decided I didn't like the fender / sissy bar / taillight setup...so I tore it partially apart and shortly after, I went through a very ugly split up and the bike went into storage. a month ago I went and picked up the bike and have been working on it again. it was the first time it has seen daylight in over 4 years....as for the specs. It has a stock motor and rear wheel that is pretty much it. Everything else is custom or modified. Bottom swing arm is lengthened 2 inches and the back bone shortenend 2. I removed the spring and the space left was perfect for a piece of 2 x 2 stock. all extra tabs, brackets etc were removed, but holes were not welded shut, and the coil packs are in the factory location. The forks (which are 4" longer than stock) and front wheel are 1976 Husqvarna 250 dirt bike and the wheel is 21". they fit perfectly into the stock yamaha neck braces, which where cleaned of any odd brackets ( including stock headlamp mounts), reshaped and left brushed loonynum...no clear coat.  The tank is a 125 Yamaha metal dirt bike....mid 80s maybe. It has been Frisco'ed and has an external fuel gauge, chris craft gas cap, and is mounted with chrome lug nuts  over a piece of 1" rubber.  The headlight is a yamaha speedo / light combo, another dirt bike part from the 70's, and are mounted with traditional yamaha side bracket holders.. Straight pipes have an upsweep then wrapped in fiberglass wrap and tractor clangers keep the water out  and the neighbors annoyed. Electric box is and old first aid box topped off with one of my old belt buckles.As for the fender..... it is simply a basic Tractor Supply flat trailer fender that was seriously shortened. Seat is large exercise seat wrapped in rough leather and lots of saddle oil, then mounted on 2 schwinn springer fork springs. battery box is run of the mill basic yamaha from the 70's with a large solid brass dollar sign......just to class the place up a bit...lol  there is no p-pad, but if she is brave enough, the fender can hold them, and feet go in my lap,,,,no rear pegs, as for front pegs they are old rail road spikes I "found" when i lived near the tracks. handle bars are upside down clubman's which give a little more height with out being uncomfortable ape hangers...(this bike sits really nice, and I already have to reach, no need to ride with my hands extended over my head). controls are basic and mostly modified dirt bike controls, handle grips are copper, and the bike and several dashes of brass and copper throughout....hopefully more to come. At the time I built this, primer rods were not near as popular as they are right now, I was tired of hearing how primer guys were lazy, and lacked imagination.....so I painted it 2 tone primer grey and red oxide, the red being a camaro style 3 part pinstripe

here it is fresh out of storage

maxim2.jpg

.maxim.jpg

maxim3.jpg

and a couple old pics

maxim4.jpg

my now 12 year old helping

maxim5.jpg

Edited by hoopty388

I'm glad ya turned the front lower legs around, great creation!

thanks for the welcomes....yeah that was pointed out right after i put it together...been changed for a while...this was my first build, and I learned ALOT!