CustomChaos

GS550 bargain project

64 posts in this topic

Ok guys, first bike thread on this page, this is my rolling chassis of a 1979 Suzuki GS550, full Hardtail, sprung seat, BSA C10 1946 Tank with Speedometer cavity. Motor is dual start, Electric or Kick, the electric start will be going, less wires to hide etc... Disc brakes front and rear which I will be hoping to swap out for some Wired wheels with drums, yet again, less wiring, no master cylinders to hide etc... Needs new Coils, throttle assembly, air filter/filters, mudguards, has a 2 -1 slash pipe exhaust for both sides... I picked this bike up for £500 + £100 delivery... This will be a winter project in my current Garage / shed which will be getting rebuilt in the spring.

WP_20161102_10_21_04_Pro.jpg

I'll be putting the tank on a auction site soon as i will be using that cash towards a few more tools and parts. It's a 1940's BSA C10 tank with speedo hole in the tank... Next step would be finding spoked wheels with drum brakes both front and back...

So progression is slow, turns out I need more than I expected, Tank is up for sale as looking for something similar to a sportster tank, need rear mudguard, still waiting on my friend to send me my seat... So been working on cleaning up the carbs, flushed the current oil out, and the bike must of had a bottom end refurb as it has all new stainless case bolts, screws on the cam covers are stuffed so have to try get them out somehow... Should be fun. Will keep things posted.

WP_20161113_20_47_57_Pro.jpg

getting there... Cleaned the frame down of all the dirty gunk n oil that had built up... Ready for paint on the frame soon i hope

that is the style of Tank I wanna go for... Also my rear brake set up is identical to yours. I just don't like how the tube lies though as I kinda like things clean. But I will experiment with different hose positions to try get it to work... Nice chop though

1 hour ago, killerdan said:

My first chop was a gs550. Can't wait to see yours done👍

IMG_0124.JPG

also did you ever think about forward controls? Or does the motor sit a bit too wide? 

I have them on my cb750 chop so I don't think it's too wide. But I will say the stock mounts on this one are probably the most comfortable I've ever ridden

Also the sporty tank looks cool but I'll probably never use one on my bikes again. 50-60 mile range

1 hour ago, killerdan said:

Also the sporty tank looks cool but I'll probably never use one on my bikes again. 50-60 mile range

I live in the UK haha no 100 miles between petrol stations for me haha

This was when I got her to a full rolling chassis... Taking my time and repainting the engine and polishing the fin edges, repainting the frame... Maybe powdercoated... Maybe get some parts chromed or highly polished... Change hand grips, foot pegs and tank... Still waiting on him sending the seat...

WP_20161201_14_07_09_Pro.jpg

This was when I got her to a full rolling chassis... Taking my time and repainting the engine and polishing the fin edges, repainting the frame... Maybe powdercoated... Maybe get some parts chromed or highly polished... Change hand grips, foot pegs and tank... Still waiting on him sending the seat...

WP_20161201_14_07_09_Pro.jpg

So boom, update time... Well after some love and hate between me and the bitch... I mean bike... (Love the fact I have her as a project, hate the fact I felt kinda ripped off) but other than that things are starting to take shape, she now stands on her own (no old wall tile centre stand now). Got the rear brake attached and got all the reservoir and pump mounted today. So that was a good feeling. Just need fluid to get the brake tested and checked for any leaks. Turns out though the tube from pump to res is too short and pulls off from the res when put onto it's holding plinth... Anyway you guys will wanna see pics...

WP_20170111_14_36_30_Pro.jpg

Now as she sits, I believe the frame is painted, not powercoated... Issue is that I live in the UK, roads are not the best over here, I'm nifty with a spray can, was thinking about 1 coat of self etching primer, 2 coats of colour, (Black or Purple still undecided) and 3 coats of clear... This bike will not be a show queen or a weekend rider...I do plan on attended events on her and even decent rides out... Which option would be better? Powdercoated which will cost me upwards of £100 or a spray job with all frame parts done for roughly £50?... Which would last longer also which would I get a better colour from?

Powder is way tougher but not indestructible.

Designs IE flames stripes etc are way easier in paint.

Powder 2 or 3 coat produces colors and textures not possible with paint.

Powder is damn near impossible to touch up 

Paint is way easier to touch up depending on number of different coats.

Powder hides poor prep better but wont work at all with poor cleaning.

Powder over pealing chrome! Sandblasted everything and coated two stage. I think a reasonable alternative to chrome.CropForkPowder2_zps042f9cd4.jpg

Dusty

I wish i was lucky enough to have Girder or Springers haha we have a chromer near where I live so for some of the smaller parts it's where I'll be visiting. Powdercoater just round the corner also. Only problem is as you said Powder is Impossible to touch up and match the finish of...

But it is tougher than most anything else except hard chrome. I had a battery break while I was riding and leak acid all over a powder coated frame. Got home in the dark didn't notice it for a few days. It made some slightly discolored spots on the powder it took the paint off all the way to metal. And don't think I've managed to chip any yet.

Dusty 

yeah Dusty I kinda get what you mean but I'm thinking about maybe adding a few bits of cleaning a few bits off in the future so I think paint could be the better option and I've also got a battery box with 2 drainage holes incase of any liquid leaks.

Luke

Update time...

Now I have my money issues sorted and the ridiculous weather has passed, I can crack on with this little project, so all the foot pegs are fitter, some of the frame is covered to prevent rust, engine mounting bolts on their way, Full Gasket kit should be on order Thursday which I need for doing a full engine repaint... 4x 500ml cans of Simonez 2000*c heat resistant black paint for £24 the shop even threw in a few sheets of 1600+ grit sand paper. Got a Quote from a Local chromers for £60 for the cam end covers, top plate and the shiny carbs bits... Not too bad. With not having the cash it jas been mainly small bits, slight cleaning, prep work... Tank should be due in a few weeks hopefully. Still on the look out for a frisco sporty tank... Things are looking good...

but there was also another reason... Anybody know how to deal with unruly screws? Needs removing before I can disassemble to centre carbs to paint the bracket... Any help would be greatful...

WP_20170124_14_58_31_Pro.jpg

a great cheap way out for frame paint is rustoleum appliance epoxy paint, no primer required. buy it at the home fix up center, 5 colors. good stuff.