• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Fund Raiser   10/02/2017

ok sooooooooooooo here's the deal I am hoping to have a new hosting site by the end Nov middle of Dec That being said I have had only 2 peeps offering to help support the site So I think those who want to help should hold on to your cash till then. I do not want to take any money and then the site close (cause that would not be right) Many be can find some extra before then so no one has to pitch in. That's it for now Thanks WhiteWolf  
CustomChaos

GS550 bargain project

64 posts in this topic

Oh brilliant thank you for that, is it available in the UK? Is there any extra prep work required?

That screw looks tall enough to grab with a pair of vice grips. If not hammer straight in on the head until the phillips cross closes up and then use a impact driver.

Dusty

no extra prep for paint. what dusty said. also buy your self the smallest pair of vice grips out there, very handy for them screws. another trick I use is drill the head completely off  and pull what ever it was holding off and turn the screw out with your fingers. of course you will have to find another screw. you can also cut a slot on the  screw head with a  hack saw and use a straight slot screw driver. its all fun!!

I generally just tack weld a socket head cap screw to the head back it out and replace the original screw.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:08 AM, CustomChaos said:

Anybody know how to deal with unruly screws?

I would use an impact driver - slot the screws first with a ziz wheel then but the impact driver on there with a slot bit and smack it with a hammer.  Personally, I use a rivet gun with a hex bit in an holder called a screw knocker.  It has never failed me.  But yours is already jacked up - so slotting it with a ziz wheel may be the best option.

mn29hiq.jpg

Edited by bigjeff

Ok, so I'm a bit behind with the updates... This is where she is at the moment. Engines in and she kicks over. Need a few bolts for a few smaller bits, got a friend helping me with my loom, and welding the tank, will be hand making the tank and sending it off to be welded up, will be building my own guards using fiberglass to create 180* blanks therefore able to cut it down as far as I need to. Once I have my battery I can get the ignition wired up and check if she turns over... Need a new Choke Plunger though one of the plungers was bent and jammed. Removed through the use of hot water and compressed air haha. Updates coming up soon

WP_20170201_14_09_31_Pro.jpg

That looks good, now ya just need a blower!

I'm guessing the front axle is just in, and not nutted and torqued hopefully?

I'm awaiting a new carb choke plunger as the original was bent and wouldn't slide up nor down... That is in the mail to me, so once that is here I can rebuild the carbs and get them on. I van then get the battery wired up and i can borrow a mates life support machine... *upright fuel bag" so I can test fire here to check for any issues.

yepper, im wondering how much a new cdi igniter box for one of those would cost? I just got one of those bikes and I cant get power to the coils and im thinking its out.

3 hours ago, hardrock785 said:

yepper, im wondering how much a new cdi igniter box for one of those would cost? I just got one of those bikes and I cant get power to the coils and im thinking its out.

They don't use a CDI box, same as most pre 90's bikes they use Breaker Points, a CDI could be used and tuned for it but you are talking about a lot of extra wiring and effort, if you have no power going to the coils you may need to either adjust your breaker points or replace them.

I should have this engine turning over in the next week or so, new carb plunger on the way and a Regulator/Rectifier, which I only paid the cost of postage for.

once they arrive I will be fitting the new parts and getting the motor turned over.

kind Regards

Luke

my 1980 gs 550 has a pick up deal under the right side cover on the motor, tracing the wires they end up under the battery box to a black plastic looking box with 7 wires coming out , I figured it was a cdi igniter box.

1 hour ago, hardrock785 said:

my 1980 gs 550 has a pick up deal under the right side cover on the motor, tracing the wires they end up under the battery box to a black plastic looking box with 7 wires coming out , I figured it was a cdi igniter box.

That pick up deal is the Breaker Points. Which lead out to the fuse box then back upto the coils... I believe, my loom was barely there. Mine is a full custom loom.

Kind Regards

Luke

looks like a pick up trigger or something did not see points, maybe the po swaped it out for electronic ign. thanks!

1 hour ago, hardrock785 said:

looks like a pick up trigger or something did not see points, maybe the po swaped it out for electronic ign. thanks!

Just pulled up a few GS circuit prints. From 80 forward a few years there seems to be prints for with points  and prints for with solid state ignition in most sizes. No ider if  solid state was an option or where it was made or luck of the draw. But they both seem to be out there.

Dusty

3 hours ago, Dusty_Dave said:

Just pulled up a few GS circuit prints. From 80 forward a few years there seems to be prints for with points  and prints for with solid state ignition in most sizes. No ider if  solid state was an option or where it was made or luck of the draw. But they both seem to be out there.

Dusty

Dusty, They swapped to CDI in around 85 I believe. My manual shows only breaker points from the 78' model through to the 84' model.

Luke

4 hours ago, hardrock785 said:

This is the points system, as you sit on the seat it is on the right hand side of the motor.

Luke

WP_20170213_14_14_31_Pro.jpg

Thanks guys, yea mine is elelectronic and it bums me out , I know nothing  about it . the motor seems good rolls over with compression. im thinking in 80 they started swicthing over. them magic boxes aint cheap . I guess a guy could swap it over to points and make some sence outta it.

2 hours ago, hardrock785 said:

Thanks guys, yea mine is elelectronic and it bums me out , I know nothing  about it . the motor seems good rolls over with compression. im thinking in 80 they started swicthing over. them magic boxes aint cheap . I guess a guy could swap it over to points and make some sence outta it.

I'm glad mine has stock ignition, I prefer points over electrical, easier to work with and diagnose. Well as part of my weight saving program I have removed the starter, as these older bikes have Kickstar, whoop whoop. Advantage to a kick start also is "whose gonna risk their leg to steal a bike" haha

and mine don't have a kicker, says 79 on the neck but its an 80

5 minutes ago, hardrock785 said:

and mine don't have a kicker, says 79 on the neck but its an 80

Are you sure it is a GS and not a GT? all the GS's had kickers right up til 84'... Unless the PO had the kicker removed?

damifiknow, ill go look I think it says its an L model

16 hours ago, CustomChaos said:

Dusty, They swapped to CDI in around 85 I believe. My manual shows only breaker points from the 78' model through to the 84' model.

Luke

The circuit prints all over the net seem to say that both were available. A quick search of fleebay shows lots of igniters from 78 through 85.   Wouldn't expect them to supply a cdi manual with a points bike or vice versa.

Dusty 

1 hour ago, Dusty_Dave said:

IThe circuit prints all over the net seem to say that both were available. A quick search of fleebay shows lots of igniters from 78 through 85.   Wouldn't expect them to supply a cdi manual with a points bike or vice versa.

Dusty 

The GS had several variations, including the 550E which was the "sports model" of this particular bike, which had a square headlamp, and some had a front bikini fairing.

So it is very possible yours has no kick from the factory, and a very crude CDI ignition. Which is still mounted where the "breaker points" on the none sport variant are located. I have a pre CDI and with Kick start GS550 from 1979.

If my manual is correct there are around 6 models of the GS550 line of bikes. But in the 80's the GSX became available making the GS series a "sports tourer" per se.

My 2. Cents

Luke

Edited by CustomChaos

yea this rascle has a round headlight and no fiber glass looking body work behind the seat just a chrome fender.ill try to get pics up tomorrow