• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Moving Site   11/22/2017

If you want to keep this site up I need your help total cost to move this site to Godaddy will be $300.00 this will also include 2 years hosting then the total a year is less than $100.00 verses $937.00 a year come on guys to keep this site going whats it worth to you Carr has transferred the Domain name to me so it will be our site I can swing $100.00 a year can you swing helping with the transfer cost? if not I will close this site at the end of dec But we need to act by the end of this month 8 days to raise $300.00 Your call but don't come bitching to me cause we are shutting down Paypal  thechopperunderground@cox.net WhiteWolf
Tanshanomi

How do you know if your welding skills are good enough?

10 posts in this topic

As a hobbyist welder, I have either avoided doing any structural welding on my bikes, or when I have, I've designed the joint to have a secondary mechanical attachment to prevent a catastrophic failure if the weld is substandard. So, what training is necessary to be a reliably satisfactory welder, how does one get it, and how do you know when you're achieved a responsible level of expertise to tackle major stuff like building a frame? There's got to be something appropriate between going back to trade school for a welding certification, and just watching YouTube videos and trying to teach yourself.

Edited by Tanshanomi

Lots of practice. Lots of Destructible testing. 

Honestly, I became a Journeyman welder just so I could build and certify my own frames. Trucks, Hot Rods, Bikes, etc. 

Before that I could weld but knew I shouldn't be building stuff that could injure or kill others. Let alone myself.

Honestly, I became a Journeyman welder just so I could build and certify my own frames. Trucks, Hot Rods, Bikes, etc. 

Before that I could weld but knew I shouldn't be building stuff that could injure or kill others. Let alone myself.

Union apprenticeship or trade school?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Went to trade school. A three year program. I'm a Red Seal Journeyman. The Red Seal certificate means I am certified to weld any weld position anywhere in Canada.

Barring some specific welding that I would need some other certificates. Like B Pressure for example. I could pass the test easy enough but I don't do that job and see no reason to keep paying for testing on a job I do not do.

The local Community College district has a welding certification program: Four hours a night, Monday through Thursday, for two semesters. I might enroll in the fall.

It's a good skill to have if your going to be using it. Opens up your skill on home projects. Like building and certifying say a tandem axle car trailer if you want or a frame for a bike or that hot rod project you always wanted. 

You take a decent course without certification is ok because you can get it certified after and may only have some things to make better or maybe it will pass right off. Practice and knowledge goes a long way. Seen some things that scare a guy. Farmer welds. Lol

On 11/16/2016 at 7:30 PM, RDuck said:

Seen some things that scare a guy. Farmer welds. Lol

You mean like this?

Welds.JPG

Umm... Ya. I see what your going for. 

I think you need some more practice. Lol. Pretty good fab skills though. You got the pattern down but all those sharp corners and welds will slow down the exhaust flow with the turbulence. Have you tried it yet?

Huh, that's a weld all right. 

If you have the means, a community college class is a good place to start. I worked for a Fab shop for 8 months in college, which is where I learned.

There's no substitute for practice and good instruction. 

Also; sometimes less is more.