• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goofin

kz400frankenbike

17 posts in this topic

kz400_zpspqp2fxm4.jpg

1231161444_zpsehlo0psf.jpg

my my how times flies....started this back in 04 with a lot of help/advice from here. Randy Horton did the basic frame, white trash helped fab a few things. dna springer, 78 honda xl350 front wheel, kz440 rear wheel, Roger made me one of his seats for a xs650, 79 kz400 6 speed. its been a fun bike over the years but its time to change things uo. 15 inch apes, twin mikuni vm30 roundslides. all new cables. i may switch over to juice brakes, found kz550 and xl350 rims with discs. same axel sixes so just a little fab work will need down. new round rear fender and sissy bar. been lurking trying to locate parts and ideas. what i cant find is a gas tank in the 4 to 5 gallon range. would like a coffin tank to set it off

23 minutes ago, hardrock785 said:

looks nice like that

+1

thanks guys but its time to freshen it up a bit. the apes gives it a better feel.

Fcuk it! Build a tank. What's the worst that could happen? lol

2d7zc0g.jpg

16kanid.jpg

carbs came in, new manifolds sucked so ordered a new set from z1enterprises. new chain and sprockets as well. cables will be here on monday so all mother nature has to do is be nice so i can work on it some.

Nice, I kinda dig the kaws, hoping to get back to working on mine soon. 

On 1/9/2017 at 0:24 AM, vn750chopper said:

Nice, I kinda dig the kaws, hoping to get back to working on mine soon. 

im guilty of that too. i have 2 400's and a 750 twin. the 400 has been very easy to tune and mod.

0204171543a_zpsw74zychv.jpg

0204171543b_zpssql8dmfx.jpg

despite being 21 degrees out i did manage to get some things done. had to weld up the mounting plate for the sidemount plate and tail light. differently have to rethink rear turn signals

weather was finally nice enough to get parts mocked up. not sure if i should frame mount or axle plate mount the sissy bar. have to figure out rear turns too

0211171608_zpsa25dkyq4.jpg

0211171540_zpsj6sz4lka.jpg

0211171612_zpshthkwbgl.jpg

03251719291_zpsl30wqznj.jpg

working out of town has limited how much time i get to spend on her. found out the gas tank had a hairline crack in it when i went to have it powder coated. local radiator shop acid dipped the tank, tig welded the tank and lined it. its being powder coated and then lettered. have a throttle cable to solder so i can use the mikuni carbs. i may have to just put the keihins back on for now. hopefully she will be in the wind easter morning

0418171105_zpsyqzanfsi.jpg

radiator shop screwed the tank up and had to get another one, other than a few little things to finish....its ready. using the keihin carbs for now,  the mikunis will have to wait until i have the time to properly tune them

I like everything about this bike but the color of the frame and springer.  The white makes it "disconnect" from the bike IMHO.  I would paint the frame black and the springer silver.

On 4/27/2017 at 0:49 PM, bigjeff said:

I like everything about this bike but the color of the frame and springer.  The white makes it "disconnect" from the bike IMHO.  I would paint the frame black and the springer silver.

yeah i feel the same way, bike is 10 years old and the light gray wasnt my choice. when someone offers to powder coat it for free, well sometimes you just have to deal with it. this winter ill tear it down, blast it and powder coat a different color. thinking of finding a spoked wheel for the rear or a pair of invader style wheels. have to extend the forwards too.

0504171819_zpsko2srdi5.jpgjust waiting for a oil gauge now but had to add a chain tensioner to take up the slack in the chain.