junkman

Picked up a little bobber... CM250

14 posts in this topic

Got a little project from a neighbor, an 82 CM250. It runs, but needs some work on the starter overrun clutch, a new clutch cable and the wiring is hacked.

Wiring is no big deal, they lost the key and hotwired the thing. 

But most importantly, I got a clean title with it! 

All for $300

IMG_20170211_151827.jpg

IMG_20170211_151836.jpg

There's a whole lotta ugly on the back of this thing that's gotta go. I plan to cut the fender struts just aft of the shock mounts, and make a shorty fender and solo seat.

Keeping the gutted mufflers, I kinda like the look. Not sure if I'm keeping the tank, might go with one of the Sportster tanks I have laying around.

Removed all the garbage wiring today. Surprisingly, very little damage to the stock wiring other than a busted ignition switch.

The starter clutch decided to somewhat function today so I was able to get it started up. Put a clutch cable on from my parts stash and took it for a little putt around the block.

Trans shifts good, either the forks or the handlebars are tweaked a bit, and the speedometer does not work. Battery is toast, brake light does not work.

Took apart the billet-ish custom taillight to see what was up, what a piece of crap. There are two type 212 dome lamp bulbs in there, one for park light and one for break light. So, the only reason the brake looks brighter is because an extra bulb comes on. Wiring was 22 ga and melted. Rewired the taillight and now brakelight is on all the time. Turns out the front brakelever is wrong and does not touch the brake light switch.

Overall, it runs decent and rides, I need to make a seat and finish sorting out the wiring, new battery, ignition switch. Not bad for $300.

huh, may be better off turning it into an all offroad dirt MOCHINE!

My dirtbike days are all behind me now....

Got the starter clutch installed, then the solenoid took a crap :/

Worked on the wiring a bit more, removed all this mess...

IMG_20170219_111928_zpsptsqwr8a.jpg

Fortunately, the stock wiring wasn't butchered too bad, installed a toggleswitch for temporary ignition

IMG_20170219_111939_zpsvjjjswvk.jpg

The (fake) billet tail light looks cool, but the wiring was ridiculously undersized.

IMG_20170219_112932_zpsbihootyu.jpg

Yes, that is a melted wire

IMG_20170219_112938_zpsiethvicn.jpg

IMG_20170219_113824_zpsjpnxptzx.jpg

Brake light is stuck on due to the front brake lever being incorrect and cobbled. Need to get a spring for the rear brake light switch. Details, details...

I swear that is the biggest POS tail light I have ever seen. Who ever thought automotive dome lamp bulbs were suitable for use on a motorcycle deserves a special place in hell.

Started troubleshooting the brake light, where before it would not turn off, now it won't go on. Pulled the lens off and the bulb used for the brake light had disintegrated from vibration. Popped another on in and got to work on the brake lights.

Incorrect front brake lever wouldn't hit the switch, so I stuffed some wood in there for now. Got a hardware store spring to activate the rear switch. Brake lights now work!

Just waiting on ignition switch and gas cap, both had the locks punched out. Ripped around the neighborhood in the sunshiney 40 degree weather today, it's a fun little bike to ride. Gotta keep telling myself I have to sell it when done.

some of that chit can drive you mad

Finally got the rest of the parts I ordered, gas cap, ignition switch, Parts are actually for a 250 Rebel, but I made em work,

Had an old seat in the rafters, not a great fit, but it's a place to sit. Probably make a tractor seat for it though.

IMG_20170311_142703_zpsscgphyqu.jpg

IMG_20170311_142719_zpsk6a3emit.jpg

IMG_20170311_142736_zps3k6i2cwg.jpg

Only 9200 miles!

IMG_20170311_144646_zps2vkschyu.jpg

Did a little extension on the shifter, now I can actuallt get my toe under it.

IMG_20170312_134057_zpsashbx5yj.jpg

good news, are you going to pimp it out with a nice paint job?

The tank has some dings I need to fix, so I will likely paint it.

Thinking basic black, white scallops with red pinstripes.