• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
Flembo

Complete new build

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi all, and thankyou for allowing me to be part of this site. All my life I have driven and worked on cars stripping down engines and rebuilding them.Now i find myself retired from work through illness, I have a lot of time on my hands. A very close friend of mine suggested that i visit a chopper club meet as he is a 35 year member. I was blown away by the comradery between different clubs. It got me to thinking how much of my life i have wasted,so i have decided to try and i mean try and build a trike from scratch. But (here comes a question) stuck on what size engine to use and what  manufacturer to use. I have found a 2.5 ford engine, which will need a rebuild would this be a good engine or a  bad choice. I thought i would start with the engine that way i can work out the size of frame and position. Any advice would really be appreciated thank you in advance                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Flembo 

poss ford for trike.jpg

Edited by Flembo
Forgot piccy

Posted (edited)

Welcome.

That's a bit of an aggressive project as a starter.  Not that it couldn't be done but it'll be a big bike. Fitting a gearbox will be the trickiest part. But, since our motto is "chop what ya got", and you've got a car engine, then carry on. Although I might suggest going for a trike. There are plenty of car engined trikes and builders in your neck of the woods.  Way more than over here. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it

Edited by SurlyBoy

22 hours ago, Flembo said:

Hi all, and thankyou for allowing me to be part of this site. All my life I have driven and worked on cars stripping down engines and rebuilding them.Now i find myself retired from work through illness, I have a lot of time on my hands. A very close friend of mine suggested that i visit a chopper club meet as he is a 35 year member. I was blown away by the comradery between different clubs. It got me to thinking how much of my life i have wasted,so i have decided to try and i mean try and build a trike from scratch. But (here comes a question) stuck on what size engine to use and what  manufacturer to use. I have found a 2.5 ford engine, which will need a rebuild would this be a good engine or a  bad choice. I thought i would start with the engine that way i can work out the size of frame and position. Any advice would really be appreciated thank you in advance                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Flembo 

Yeah will be a large project,will be taking my time,but time is what i have lol.I was going to be lazy and fit an auto box 

I've built a bunch of VW and V8 trykes, just set the engine, trans and rear end with desired rims and tires on a level surface, sitting on blocks at your desired ride height, lower is better, make sure the driveshaft is long enough so the u joints don't bind as the suspension moves. With a engine that small and light you should be able to use a heavy duty motorcycle front end. From this stage you can use electrical conduit and mock up a frame and play around with design ideas. Theres gonna be a lot of measuring and sketching. Make sure you give yourself and passenger plenty of leg room, something not obvious until you're an hour down the road. 

As far as engine choice, pick something thats popular enough that you won't worry about getting parts 10 years from now (in case thats how long it takes to build...it happens) Something thats not too complicated, especially if its fuel injected, an automatic trans would simplify things. Rear disc brakes is a must. Might be easier to buy a good running car thats wrecked or rusty so you can get everything you need instead of trying to assemble from scratch. A strong rear bumper with hitch, foot boards, room for storage (a box or saddle bags), radiator and lines, battery location, exhaust, gas tank and other necessities need to be designed in before building starts. 

Its a long and complicated build so do your research before spending any money, good luck!

welcome aboard! sounds like you got your work cut out for you.