• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Donation Info   11/12/2017

If we can make it thru to the end of March we will be good till then PayPal thechopperunderground@cox.net Thanks WhiteWolf
EvilWickedMean&Nasty

Quick, Cheap & Dirty

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Everything else has laid down on me and its time to ride.  So here I go, on a mission to build something to get me back in the breeze on the cheap.  Top end on the Zed's gonna set me back a chunk and the Royal Star need $300 or $400 in parts and for me to have time to futz with it. 

Pulled this out of the fence row a week ago.  Still runs really good just like it did when I stashed it.  Needle seats need attention but that's easy.

IMG_2901.jpg

Swapped with a buddy my perfect stock fork for his more than perfect 8 over Forked by Frank's.  Thanks Dana.

IMG_2913.jpg

Then I went digging in my pile and found this sweet little solo seat and the gayest Sporty tank on the planet. 

IMG_2905.jpg

I went up to Kingsport and picked up this CB750 Savior roller & junk motor a couple years back when I was looking for a place to stab a Matic motor.  That project never got off the ground so here we are, it'll get the 5 speed and like it, or else!

IMG_2907.jpg

So I sat that Fabulous tank on the frame along with the seat and ran back to the pile for a rear fender and sissy bar to get an idea where it's headed and what it'll look like when we get there.  The old rusty forks in the frame now are about 10 or 12 over I think and will be swapped for the +8's

IMG_2908.jpg

I think I have most of what it'll take to put together a respectable beater in a decent amount of time.  I'd like to ride it over to the Roost in June, we'll see.  The only real goal here is to get my hairy self back in the breeze on the cheap.  

The frame came with a nice round oil bag/battery box. I don't know about my husky self sitting on that itty bitty seat for long rides so a more substantial seat may be in order.  I'm probably going to have to rebuild the front brake and build forward controls and buy the oil lines and the oil line plate adaptor.

Well, here we go again.  This never ends well for me, :rolleyes:

Edited by EvilWickedMean&Nasty

hack yea! I dig the frame, should turn out nice!

Thanks fellers.

Got home from work today with just enough daylight left to knock the axle out of the back wheel.  It's led a pretty rough life but I think if I can find someone with the right die it'll clean up and be okay.  I plan to yank the springs out of it and clean them up.  The guy I got it from claimed to have had the plunger parts all re-chromed and re-bushed and it looks like it probably was but then it was left it in the corner of his basement and his Rottweiler used it for a urinal for several years so most of the chrome is toast, especially the springs.  I got the trees off the front of it too.  It had tapered bearings installed but the clamps on the lower tree are tweaked so I planned to use the tree from the donor bike.  That required removal of the bearing from the stem so I proceeded to knock the bearing off and of course broke the cage, (nothing good ever comes from me trying to work in the dark) so I need to find a source for just the lower bearing and the seal.  I hate to buy the set if all I need is the lower one.  I know I probably wont find it and the kit is pretty cheap but I'll check the local bearing house anyway.  Well, that's it for now boys and girls.  The frame has a date with some aircraft stripper and some sand paper tomorrow and I would like to get the motor out of the donor bike so I can get it out of the way.  I've got a half dozen other things to do tomorrow too so who knows. 

Posted (edited)

Well, I'm finally getting some stuff done here.  I got the frame rattle bombed.  As you can see I just went ahead and painted the old rusty springs on back.  When it comes back apart for proper paint etc..., (I still intend to put that Matic motor in it some day) they can get a little more attention.  I stripped the old paint off the oil tank/batt box and gave the inside a good acid wash.  My buddy has it in his blast cabinet.  I'm going to take him a bunch more little parts tomorrow; motor brackets, headlight bracket & buckets & whatever else I can find that needs a glass bead shower.  I was going to black out the motor too but I washed it today and it cleaned up pretty nice so I think for time and money's sake it'll go in just like it is.  Didn't take any pics of the cleaned up motor yet.  Found a guy in the neighborhood with a lathe & a set of big dies who said he'd look at the rear axle for me.

IMG_3173.jpg

I'll give the fresh paint a day or two in the sunshine to get good and hard and it'll be time build a motor cicle.  Only 999,999 more things to do and I should be riding this beastie. 

Posted (edited)

One piece at a time.  I think they came out nice for quick and dirty.  Was going to polish the upper clamp and I thought, why would I do that when I can shoot a nice coat of lumium paint?  Bottom clamp is painted graphite.  I'm either going to paint the upper one graphite to match it or paint the lower alunumum to match the upper.  Either way I don't want 3 different tones on 3 different clamps, (the last two pics are the brace I'm going to use and the chrome is about a 7 so it won't get painted.)

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:34 PM, joe amyde said:

Guud start!

Thanks Joe, encouragement is well appreciated. 

Getting started on the oil lines.  I've got these cut & threaded 1/4" FTP.  They were bolted to my junk engine for surgery in the pics.  I'm going to use brass fittings and black rubber hose for now but it'll be getting _6AN fittings and SS lines when it comes back apart.  I'm toying with the idea of running an oil cooler to up the volume in the system because the tank looks a little on the small side.  I'll measure it when I wash it out with kerosene before I screw it all together.IMG_3196.jpgIMG_3199.jpgIMG_3198.jpg

I think these came out pretty nice.  I'm going to shoot a coat of clear on it all and it should be ready to bolt up.IMG_3193.jpg

Yup, more oil is alwayz guuder

Posted (edited)

Tonight I got some more paint stuck on and brackets made to keep the pegs from rotating.  I'll take pics of them tomorrow after I take them up to my buddies and weld them up.  I'm going to try and get the gas tank mounted and the oil tank on and plumbed and the wiring done tomorrow as well.  Hopefully I'll have time to get the rear wheel touched up too so I can get this beasty on the ground and rolling around.IMG_3209.jpgIMG_3213.jpgIMG_3211.jpg

I'll be riding this pig next week this time or into the quarry it goes. 

Looks Great! Nice when everything is painted up and clean.

Quick work. Looks good

Posted (edited)

Well the GotDang tractor at work is broke and I need very badly to mow and grade so I've spent every waking hour for the better part of a week elbow deep in it.  I ain't hit a lick on the chop since so I guess I'll be stopping by the quarry in the morning on the way in, lol.  I had really hoped to get another coat of clear on the tanks and get em screwed on so I can run lines & wires, start mounting a seat, etc...  I ended up not using that carrier in the last pic after spending a bunch of time on it making it look pretty.  I had the much talked about sprocket alignment issue with the '77 motor.  A quick trip back to the pile turned up a carrier with a nearly new sprocket on it that put the wheel dead center and lined up the sprockets nice.  The wheel is another item from the pile.  It was in a truck load of parts I picked up the other day free because they were headed to the dump and it just happened to fit and has a very good tire that is a perfect mate to the front.  So for anyone wondering about what combo I used to make the '77 motor work I can't help 'cause I have no idea where either the carrier or the hub originated.  Front wheel spokes were pretty rusty so it got a quick coat of glad to see ya from the nipples in, (somehow that sounds dirty.)  I'm thinking about calling this bike Orphan because it's basically a rolling orphanarium of abandoned motorcycle parts.  

IMG_3215.jpg

wheels on.jpg

IMG_3217.jpg

wheels on 2.jpg

Ever have one of those days?  Well I was born on one of those days...

Fittings_1.png

All's well that ends well I guess.  Turns out there's a lot more meat down closer to the motor.  I may lop the other one off and thread it closer in too.

Fittings 2.jpg

Posted (edited)

My extension for the rear brake.  Also the bushings for the pivot, (thanks for the lead Dave.)  BTW I have 8 more of those bushings left over, lol.  If anyone needs a couple let me know.  

Brake Mod 2.jpg

17 hours ago, WhiteWolf said:

lookin good

Thanks Lon, I'm making progress.   

Sorry for all the blacked out pics folks.  I've tried to cover most of the clutter in the background.  This thing IS actually being built on my 20 something yr. old bike jack out in my driveway.  With all the junk in the background the bike is hard to see.  I would laugh but its probably more sad than funny, lol. 

Anyway, I was poking around up in the attic the other day and came across this old window handlebar I stashed up there and had forgot I had.  I tossed the metrosexual teal with lavender flames sporty tank when I found this one in the pile.  The rear fender came off of an old BSA chopper rolling frame I lucked into a couple years ago.  I have no idea what it's from originally or if it may be aftermarket.  My buddy Allan gave me the fender strut a couple years ago and I dug the seat and the Drag Specialties speedo out of the pile so who knows.  Paint on the tank and oil bag came out way nicer than I had hoped for, although the multiple coats of clear seems to have changed the color a bit when it's not in direct sun light.  I probably would not have even noticed it but the fork lowers and triple clamps are covered with the same paint but with no clear.  Incase you're wondering it's about 4 coats of dupli-color graphite wheel paint covered with about 6 coats of min-wax gloss outdoor polyurethane then a couple coats of turtle wax.  Yeah, cheesy I know but you gotta remember I'm having to build this thing out of what I have on hand and I don't want gas to munch on the paint the first time I dribble, (and believe me I dribble.)  It came out so nice it makes me wish I had done a little body work on it instead of just stripped and painted it.  I should have spent a lot more time on all the paint prep but if I had I would still be painting now.  This is supposed to be a quick  mock up slung together so I have something to ride over the summer and to get blown apart and smoothed out later.  Besides it's going to have to work for a living so no need to get too pretty.  

IMG_3227.jpgGETTING SOMEWHERE 1.jpgGETTING SOMEWHERE 2.jpgGETTING SOMEWHERE 3.jpg

I've not had a lot of time to work on it since I got back from NC but here's what I did manage to get done.  It's not much but any step forward is progress.  I got the rear brake light switch mounted. I snagged it off one of my KZ1000 parts bikes, hope it works.  I ended up using one of the existing tabs on back of the battery box... Well like this.20170629_200933.jpg

Came out pretty clean I think.

I also picked up a brass elbow and a few feet of clear tubing foe crank case ventilation tube.20170629_201049.jpg

And here's a couple of pics of the foot peg bracket I made so they'll stay put.  I know I could have drilled and tapped a hole for a small bolt to hold them but I wanted to do it this way because I plan to run forwards some day and didn't want extra holes.

20170629_201037.jpg20170629_201028.jpg

Looks like they got rained on while I was away. I'll bring and paint them before it's over.

Well, let's see if I can get this regulator mounted and start pulling some wires.

20170629_204605.jpg

Tucked up & OUT OF THE way but should still get plenty of air.

Well, not much getting done on the chop here lately.  Sunday while I was at the swap meet this little jewel was stolen right out of my driveway.  I know it's a long shot but if anybody in or around East Tennessee sees it take posesion of it, (or atleast keep eyes on it) and call me (865-406-4080) and then call the cops.  It didnt run yet so they had to haul it. The chrome is rusty but its complete. Pipes and tank are very nice. There is a late 70's or early 80's state of Wyoming inspection sticker on the back of the front fender and another on the lower part of the down tube visible in pic 3 & 4.

Thanks

1124161139.jpg

1124161143.jpg

1124161142a.jpg

1124161142.jpg

Fucken grubs if caught they should have there hands broken.