• Announcements

• WhiteWolf

Site will be moving soon   11/22/2017

if you need any info e-mail me thechopperunderground@cox.net we will be on Godaddy (host)   WhiteWolf
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zooker89

Zookers '01 Sporty build

15 posts in this topic

So, Here is the beginning of my sportster build. It started as an '01 883 Hugger. This pic is just as I bought it minus the tank bib and the windscreen.

Sportster_as_bought.jpg

These pics are starting from what I did to just get it ridable (for me) the list of early changes:

Solo seat, Biltwell mustache bars, 6" risers, new pegs, forward controls, strip off all the old crap that was dry rotted or not my style, new intake, coil relocation, a much needed carb cleaning...

Sportster_start_right.jpg

Sportster_start_left.jpg

Day one of the build brought a little strip down and some mock ups for future direction. This pic is with the tank I got. It is a 2.4 gal. sporty tank.

new_tank_fit.jpg

this next pic is with some plywood struts to mimic the stance of the new shocks at 10.5" 

new_stance_right.jpg

I moved next to the rear fender. I cut it up pretty good and shortened the fender struts a little too. They will be getting much shorter soon.

fender_trim_initial.jpg 

I then turned my attention to the front end, trimming off all the un-needed brackets, tabs and dead weight.

fork_trim_1.jpg

fork_trim_2.jpg

for_lock_trim_1.jpg

fork_lock_trim_2.jpg 

After painting the fork lowers and trees, I reassembled the front end with some fork shrouds and new 12" apes with internal wiring. I am stripping the old paint off the rear fender too. I think I might weld a piece of round bar to the lip of the fender for some extra strength and a little extra detail.

right_side_front_end_done.jpg

Front_end_black.jpg 

New tires,  a new 2 into one pipe, undecided paint and a few more little things will be coming soon.

Wow, what a transformation! Yeah those stock tanks are huge!

Thanks Guys!  Now I gotta get a busted exhaust stud out of the rear jug. Nothing is easy.:rolleyes:

Well, I got the old stud drilled out and it is re-tapped. It is slightly off center, but not enough to cause me any grief.

Exhaust_stud.jpg

I also got the fender struts cut off and cleaned up. And somewhere along the way I got the chrome oil tank cover off. 

Struts_cut_and_done.jpg 

Edited by Zooker89
Added statement

I got to squirt some paint on the back fender today. It is rattle can satin, and I will be putting a satin black graphic on it before finishing up with a satin 2K clear.

fender_paint_1.jpg 

That shore is a short fender, better keep the termites away from them struts!

14 hours ago, joe amyde said:

That shore is a short fender, better keep the termites away from them struts!

Yep. It is short. Now worries about the struts. The real shocks are on the way ;)

I got the black on the fender, but I may not keep it. I used a different fine line tape and it bled. It should have been much better than the stuff I used to use given the huge price difference. Sometimes you should just stick to what you know...

Fender_paint_3.jpg

Fender_paint_2.jpg