Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:08 AM
Well, shit was going great on this build. I have ran into a problem. 1981 suzuki gs450, electronic ign, dual cyl, dual coil. I did a simplified harness on this bike. Had the plugs laying on the head, check for spark, had spark on both sides. Go to start the bike and it wont run. Has 150-160 lbs of compression on both sides, has spark so I rip off the carbs to re-clean em. Still nothing. I check spark again and see that the left side plug has a constant spark to it (not flashing like normal). I check my wires and see that I had the wires on that coil crossed. I swap em and have perfect spark. Put the plugs in, fires up and runs great for a couple secs. The bike then starts to run on only the right side. Pull the plugs, no spark on the left side again. I check the wiring-Good. switch plugs-plugs are good. Switch the wires with the two coils-both coils are good. Check the pick up coils- both are within the limit of ohms. Swap wires with pick up coils and test run-they test good. Check grounds-all have perfect continuity with the ground to the bat and engine. I sum it up to I fried the igniter box(cdi) when I had the wires crossed. Today I find another cdi. I wire it in and check for spark- have spark on both sides. I put the plugs in and start it up. Once again, runs great then I lost a cylinder. This time the right side took a crap on me. I pull the plugs and I have no spark on the right side now. I once again go through everything I mentioned above and all test and trouble shooting points towards the cdi. I put in a brand new, fully charged bat and it still does the same thing. Now after have a couple high balls and thinking about it and going over the schematics for the hundredth time, the only thing comes to mind is that I had a bat charger on the bat when I ran into this problem. With the new fully charged bat, I didnt use the charger, however this was after the second cdi crapped out. ------- I need input. ----- Thank you. Oh, the schematic isnt complicated at all. Trust me, I have compared the factory and my schematics over and over. I wish I could say the problem was I have it wired wrong, but they all are going where they need to be. It is prob something stupid and easy that Im not catching.
Put the blade to it!!! Don't be afraid, its only metal.