• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 7808

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

probly going to order a weld on spring loaded tensioner from monstercraftsman, i was going to get a sprocket type but a skate wheel one is sounded better when i think it over -

skate wheel - if the bearing goes, its a matter of stopping at a skate shop, and if it siezes up its just going to wear a groove in the wheel, also if its not %100 prefectly aligned it dont matter really. id say maybe less of a chance of failure if somthing happens at high speed like skipping a tooth or somthing..

sprocket - looks cooler, might be a little smoother ? teeth and groves compared to a chain rolling on a prefectly round wheel, and theres no way the chain could really fall off in some crazy situation where your bike its leaned to far one way ot somthing wacko.gif

what u guys think

#2 Beaker

Beaker

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

Skate wheels come in different durometers; soft - hard. All will wear, and with a chain on them this means you'll get a groove worn in the middle which means you'll have to keep adjusting your chain to account for this. No big deal, as long as you're aware and check it frequently and replace the wheel when you start to run out of urethane. You don't have to worry QUITE as much with a sprocket roller, but you still have to keep an eye on it. The skate wheel will likely be smoother and quieter (and, because it will wear quickly, will be more forgiving of chain and sprocket inconsitencies). But in both cases, as stated in the other thread, the mount has to be solid. At any rate, one should be checking their chain before almost every ride (before every ride if you're running a long chain and/or stretched swingarm or hardtail) which is something most of us probably don't do religiously enough. If you have to worry about losing your chain on a hard left, you should replace that worry with basic machine maintenance; then you won't have to worry. Just my .02.
You meet the nicest people on a Honda. I'm not one of 'em.

"I know things that you don't, I've done things that you won't" - N.Sixx

#3 Blackjack

Blackjack

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:58 AM

What happens is that the side plates of the chain wear two grooves in the roller, pad, or skatewheel and then the chains rollers hit the roller, pad, or skatewheel, and the wear slows down a huge amount.

Same as cam chain tensioner blades.
Just owning the tools, doesn't give you a constitutional right to be good with them.

Reading up on some of this stuff might help though... The Font

If readings your thing you might enjoy one of the E-Books from the TechnoBabble collection

For the hard of literacy, try my You Tube Channel for some "How-To" video action @ Blackjack's Workshop

#4 Dlemons4

Dlemons4

Fouled Plug

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

Hey guys im a noob and i am not trying to hijack your thread but is this tensioner neccessary or just "nice to have". Im going to be stretching my xs650 4" or so and i will be using an O ring chain. Do i need this tensioner? I noticed a lot of guys do not run them. thanks
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it truly is, infinite. -William Blake

#5 Guest_Henryinva_*

Guest_Henryinva_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Dlemons4 @ Apr 22 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey guys im a noob and i am not trying to hijack your thread but is this tensioner neccessary or just "nice to have". Im going to be stretching my xs650 4" or so and i will be using an O ring chain. Do i need this tensioner? I noticed a lot of guys do not run them. thanks

No, ya dont need it unless you have something in the way of the chain.

#6 Dlemons4

Dlemons4

Fouled Plug

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

gotcha, thanks!!!
If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it truly is, infinite. -William Blake

#7 Beaker

Beaker

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Dlemons4 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gotcha, thanks!!!

Is that a donkey punch?!! bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif
You meet the nicest people on a Honda. I'm not one of 'em.

"I know things that you don't, I've done things that you won't" - N.Sixx

#8 7808

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:08 PM

ya dont need em, unless like my situation i dont have alot of wheel adjustment and my frame is extra long, basicly when my new chain starts to wear i cant pull my wheel back much, and if i take another link out my wheel is probly gona touch my seat. not the normal xs chop

#9 Dlemons4

Dlemons4

Fouled Plug

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Beaker @ Apr 22 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Dlemons4 @ Apr 22 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gotcha, thanks!!!

Is that a donkey punch?!! bigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

You know it! I am King Donko of Punchstania!

#10 7808

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:05 PM

ending up making one with a skate wheel.. roller skate wheel! they come in the same hardnesses as skateboard, but there wider

roller skate left standard skate board right

not done yet, made an adjustable mount for the other end of the spring that will be welded to the frame it has a cup that threads up and down to push the spring harder, i might mess with differnt hardness of springs so i can get a real hard one that i will just set and it wont abosrb much shock but this one is pretty stiff, and worst case it will fully compress unlike a torsion spring which can always go around some more with enough pressure

kinda big and overly complicated probly but i was half drunk when i made it

Edited by 7808, 20 May 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#11 Homebrew

Homebrew

Contributing Member

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Man they ought to keep you half drunk all the time if you turn out work like that, looks great.

and women say we have mid-life crises. My idea of a mid life crisis is buying a busa and going 140+ in the quarter mile, not leave someone I spent half my life with.

gixxer1300r