16 replies to this topic

#1 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

ok im working on my first build i need to work out some wiring problems. When I picked up the bike it was missing the regulator/ rectifire. Was wondering is i could wire a one peice unit into the bike if so how should I do it or should i just stay stock? I am also having trouble finding the right wiring diagram for my bike. The bike is a 78 kz 650....any help would be greatly appericated!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1129.jpg   28.53KB   5 downloads
  • Attached File  1108.jpg   509.15KB   6 downloads

#2 XS slim

XS slim

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Here's a stock one. If it isn't what you need, go to the Electrical Troubleshooting page and at the top there is a category that is titled "Pinned threads", whatever you need should be there somewhere.

Attached Files

#3 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (XS slim @ Oct 3 2010, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a stock one. If it isn't what you need, go to the Electrical Troubleshooting page and at the top there is a category that is titled "Pinned threads", whatever you need should be there somewhere.

ok great thanks!!,,i'll check it out..

#4 animal

animal

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Are you planning on strip wiring it? I've got mine wired for charging/ignition/headlight/taillight, and I could draw up a diagram for you if you'd like. Glenn. You should have the single phase permanent magnet rotor, which will have two wires coming off of the stator that will go to the two yellow wires on the reg/rec. The red and black remaining wires from the reg/rec will go to battery positive(red), and battery negative(black). There's your charging system. Next you'll feed the hot from the battery positive to your ignition switch. You'll then feed your headlight, taillight, brake switch, and coils from the switch feed. Also, make sure you run a frame ground and an engine ground from the battery negative. Your points wires will run to the negative poles on your coils. You'll see on the points plate 1-4, and 2-3. Each of these will fire the respective coils. You can decide whether or not you want to split the feed off of the ignition switch so that you can have ignition "on", with out the lights drawing, or feed all off one, depending on your preference, and the type of switch you decide to use. You can also decide if you want to fuse the hot feed from the reg/rec to feed the battery, as well as fuse the lights and ignition on there own fuse. I used a "on-off-on" toggle to switch the high/low beam on my headlight, and brought a ground up from the front of the frame where the original horn had been, so I could keep the wiring run clean to the headlight bucket. Same goes for the ground on the taillight. That's why you'll want to ground the frame from the battery negative, if you want to save clutter on your wiring runs. Good luck, they're great old bikes, and will take an insane amount of torture if you give em' a bit of love. Glenn.
Put your head down, close your eyes,open your ears, and just fuckin' ROCK!

#5 sackman

sackman

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:32 AM

Good to see ya made it to the greatest site on the net there Don (aka ilov2xlr8)

The dudes and dudettes here can solve just bout any problem...bike related that is.! yes.gif
Dan

Live like today's your last
Ride and be at peace with yourself.

1998 Kawasaki 1500 Classic
1984 Honda Nighthawk 700 Chopper
1977 Kawasaki 650 Chopper

<a href="http://backyardbikec...n.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://backyardbikec...logspot.com</a>

#6 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

thanks animal,,i would like to see a drawing of what u did..my thoughts as of now was to keep the original wiring,but if i need to ill start over i will,,,what ever it takes...now when i got the bike the regulator was missing,i picked up one,,,the rec that came with it was a three wire one(yellow)...can i not use this one?should i find an all in one unit?because i have two yellow wires and a green one with a red or pink chase,,can you tell me what the green one is?thanks for all your help..

#7 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (sackman @ Oct 4 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to see ya made it to the greatest site on the net there Don (aka ilov2xlr8)

The dudes and dudettes here can solve just bout any problem...bike related that is.! yes.gif

thanks sackman,,glad to be part of the greatest site on the net,,been doin some work on the bike,,carbs off getting ready to go through them soon,(after the wiring is sorted out),,wont be long...

#8 animal

animal

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (ilov2xlr8 @ Oct 4 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks animal,,i would like to see a drawing of what u did..my thoughts as of now was to keep the original wiring,but if i need to ill start over i will,,,what ever it takes...now when i got the bike the regulator was missing,i picked up one,,,the rec that came with it was a three wire one(yellow)...can i not use this one?should i find an all in one unit?because i have two yellow wires and a green one with a red or pink chase,,can you tell me what the green one is?thanks for all your help..

The type of charging system will determine what combo reg/rec you will need. My 78b is a single phase. The stator has two wires, and has a permanent magnet rotor. Some kz's have a three phase setup, which will have three wires coming from the stator. I'm not sure on the wire colors you're talking. I wired mine from scratch, and eliminated everything that wasn't essential. If you have the two wire stator, a reg/rec combo with four wires will work, and if your stator has 3 wires, then you would need a 5 wire reg/rec. You can get universal reg/rec combos.

#9 sackman

sackman

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

ilove2xlr8....pics of the reg and rec wiring will help the people on here determine what you're workin with and then they can tell ya what you'll have to do.
Dan

<a href="http://backyardbikec...n.blogspot.com" target="_blank">http://backyardbikec...logspot.com</a>

#10 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

ill be posting some pics of what im working with soon.,,its supposta be nice here the next few days ,with that it forces me to cut and split wood for the lovely winters we have..lol..so as soon as i can i will be posting pics of the mess i got..hoping by friday night i can have the pics posted so a better understanding of what i have is out there...

#11 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:29 PM

QUOTE (ilov2xlr8 @ Oct 5 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ill be posting some pics of what im working with soon.,,its supposta be nice here the next few days ,with that it forces me to cut and split wood for the lovely winters we have..lol..so as soon as i can i will be posting pics of the mess i got..hoping by friday night i can have the pics posted so a better understanding of what i have is out there...

alright guys i got a couple of pics....what im needing to know is what the green wire is that is with the 2 yellow wires coming from the stator...and also can i use the rec that i have/..i got it with the bike but it was in a box

Attached Files

• Attached File  003.jpg   519.61KB   6 downloads
  • Attached File  002.jpg   23.9KB   10 downloads
  • Attached File  003.jpg   519.61KB   4 downloads

#12 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (animal @ Oct 4 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you planning on strip wiring it? I've got mine wired for charging/ignition/headlight/taillight, and I could draw up a diagram for you if you'd like. Glenn. You should have the single phase permanent magnet rotor, which will have two wires coming off of the stator that will go to the two yellow wires on the reg/rec. The red and black remaining wires from the reg/rec will go to battery positive(red), and battery negative(black). There's your charging system. Next you'll feed the hot from the battery positive to your ignition switch. You'll then feed your headlight, taillight, brake switch, and coils from the switch feed. Also, make sure you run a frame ground and an engine ground from the battery negative. Your points wires will run to the negative poles on your coils. You'll see on the points plate 1-4, and 2-3. Each of these will fire the respective coils. You can decide whether or not you want to split the feed off of the ignition switch so that you can have ignition "on", with out the lights drawing, or feed all off one, depending on your preference, and the type of switch you decide to use. You can also decide if you want to fuse the hot feed from the reg/rec to feed the battery, as well as fuse the lights and ignition on there own fuse. I used a "on-off-on" toggle to switch the high/low beam on my headlight, and brought a ground up from the front of the frame where the original horn had been, so I could keep the wiring run clean to the headlight bucket. Same goes for the ground on the taillight. That's why you'll want to ground the frame from the battery negative, if you want to save clutter on your wiring runs. Good luck, they're great old bikes, and will take an insane amount of torture if you give em' a bit of love. Glenn.
looking close at the wiring on my new build,,thinking it may be easier to strip wire the bike,, what's your thoughts on this?

#13 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

ttt

#14 animal

animal

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

If you are only going to run headlight and taillight, then definitely I'd strip wire from scratch. I can't see the posted diagram, but that green/red can be eliminated if you strip wire it. IIRC, that green was for the neutral switch. The reg/rec in your picture is for a 3 phase stator, so no, you won't be able to use it. Your stator is a single phase, so you need a reg/rec that should have 2 yellow wires, and a red and black, for a total of 4 wires coming out of the reg/rec. PM me your phone number and I'll call you. That'll be easier. Glenn.

#15 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

just wanted to give an up date to those that had helped me figure out my problems with my first build...i did get it to run!!!...now time to start cuttin on it..ill keep ya updated as i make progress on it!..

#16 sackman

sackman

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

Sorry dude I haven't gotten over to you're place recently. Been too freekin busy and then holiday chit and volunteering at the school chit. maybe sometime this next week.
Dan

#17 ilov2xlr8

ilov2xlr8

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (sackman @ Nov 26 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry dude I haven't gotten over to you're place recently. Been too freekin busy and then holiday chit and volunteering at the school chit. maybe sometime this next week.

its cool,,i next week will work too...ive been super busy too,with the holidays..just call me when you can make it..