10 replies to this topic

#1 OldenGnarley

OldenGnarley

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

Will i ever get this Effer to run right ?

are there alot of these cause they were popular, OR because no one can get them to run right so they pushed em in the corner of the garage and left em to rot...now they come up for sale...

Whats your take? will i have to mess with this constantly forever because of the carb design? Or is the solution right around the corner and i just havent put enough effort into it?

People are always askin about the 4 in 1 intake, are these old carbs just fooked? or will i get it right eventually?
Seriously, how old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

#2 Dude's Garage

Dude's Garage

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

They don't take too well to any sort of airbox modification and the charging systems sucked but other than that, they were good bikes. Did you mod the airbox?

#3 dcil

dcil

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:19 PM

Stay stock airbox. Open exhaust causes a slight idle issue. When dipping the carbs, remember that there is an oring where the air screw is, and the rubber plugs have to be put back in the bottom of the carbs. A lot of good info and people who know these things on gsresources.com, just don't say bobber, chopper, or brat. cafe or restore is acceptable. Great guys, just a little bit anal about customizing. One thing about the gs suzi, when they're right, there quick and dependable.

Edited by dcil, 12 October 2010 - 06:22 PM.

"It's not rare, or one of a kind, Peter Fonda didn't ride it, so chop it already"

#4 dcil

dcil

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

I have seen some people use home made breadbox style filters, u just have to experiment with the number of inlet holes. Not enough restriction and the carb diaphragms won't raise the needle.
"It's not rare, or one of a kind, Peter Fonda didn't ride it, so chop it already"

#5 OldenGnarley

OldenGnarley

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thanks guys. just a little frustrated...

stock airbox.

gs resources guys are great, but guys here have no brand bias...

i'll get her going. i've only had the carbs apart twice in two seasons...i've heard of worse...LOL

#6 dcil

dcil

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, those carbs suck. Been wondering how it would work out using an old set of kehin keyhole carbs on there. I sneek over there to gsr when I have a real technical gs question. Bass cliff has tons of info on his site. I love my gs750. Been the best bike I've ever owned.

#7 Blackjack

Blackjack

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE (dcil @ Oct 12 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, those carbs suck.....

Ummm....

Isn't that kinda the point of carbs?

thumbsup.gif
Just owning the tools, doesn't give you a constitutional right to be good with them.

Reading up on some of this stuff might help though... The Font

If readings your thing you might enjoy one of the E-Books from the TechnoBabble collection

For the hard of literacy, try my You Tube Channel for some "How-To" video action @ Blackjack's Workshop

#8 BACA-Oz

BACA-Oz

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:16 AM

Don't give up on it, just make sure the carbs are spotless inside including all the passageways. I bought a dynojet stage 3 when I did ine and it runs awesome. I'm working on a '79 XS1100 right now with BS38 carbs on it and they were in terrible shape inside.
BACA-Oz (AKA Old Chopper)
1979 XS1100F (Bobber Project)
1983 GS400 (Wifey's Ride)
1985 FXEF (Superglide Fat Bob)
2012 FXDC (Superglide Custom)

#9 Dude's Garage

Dude's Garage

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Have you checked your intake boots for vacuum leaks? Some have an o-ring seal where they bolt onto the engine.

#10 OldenGnarley

OldenGnarley

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

update: cylinder 1 is cooler than 2,3,4
i believe the idle jet / circuit is clogged... thumbsup.gif

#11 Blackpaws

Blackpaws

Fouled Plug

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

Has anyone ever tried making a manifold out of some sort of pipe or tubing, one that basically hooks to all four carbs and then comes out the side to a breather rig with a good filter in it? I was thinking of doing this on my GS 650. Rig up the manifold and run it out the side with a K&N air filter. Then adjust the carbs afterwards. I figured it might work like the airbox and give just enough resistance to work like the airbox, but breathe a lot better and allow the bike a little more horse.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
"Too strange to live, too rare to die!"
"What would you say if I told you we have a Vincent Black Shadow?"
-Hunter S. Thompson