#1 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:35 PM

3/16/11
So I just picked up this little chopper so I'd have something cool to run around instead of a sport bike.

It's a GS450 motor (not sure what year), with a 16" comstar, 18" spoke disc wheel (no brake), with some cheap off the shelf chopper parts thrown on a crazy long hardtail. I think the guy who built it was something like 6' 6" tall, so I guess I understand it.... but when I sit on it the mid-controls feel like forwards haha.

Plans: Stinson and I are going to cut it up this weekend and improve the proportions. We'll shorten up the hardtail section to a suitable wheelbase and I'll probably cut out the triple backbone and put in a nice new single top tube. The comstar's offset is HORRIBLE. It's millimeters away from the tire rubbing on the non-drive side and inches away on the drive side. I forgot to take pictures of how bad the offset was, but I've already started on a solution to get the wheel a little more centered. Between the both of us we have some random wheels that we might be able to switch to if needed. As of right now I think I'd like to run the comstar in the rear with ripple moon discs and a 19 or 21 up front. Probably make a rigid tuck and roll seat conformed to the shape of a new fender/sissy bar arrangement.

Stay tuned, this one will get changed up pretty quick and then ridden A LOT.

#2 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Turned down the "cush drive" and now the offset on the wheel is perfect!

Not sure why it was done this way

With the nasty triple backbone...

Took 5" out of the hardtail and here's a mock-up

#3 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

And here's the new and improved frame with a single backbone...

The side supports have engine mounts in them, so I didn't want to cut them out all together. I debated what exactly to do with this area... I've seen people put a crossmember just above the motor mounts, but those supports aren't even with each other from the factory so the crossmember just looks crooked. So instead I pie cut the supports and bent one forward and in to the backbone and one back and in to the backbone. Looks pretty clean IMO.

More mock-up

Got it back together and went for a ride...

It died during my neighborhood test ride... Tried to start it back up, but it started to backfire from the carb.... so I guess I need to check into a few things before I ride it anymore. Also, I still have to find a fender, make a rear tank mount, and a front seat mount. Plenty more changes in the next couple of weeks like a decent headlight and tail light and some t-bars soon.

P.S. I started at arond 10am this morning and went for a ride at 6:45pm... I think I got a lot done for one day.

#4 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

Put together this sissy bar pretty quick today... still needs a ton of cleaning up.

#5 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

Fixed a few more things on the frame, made a brake switch mounting tab, and whipped up a tag and taillight bracket.

Finished the wiring, just need to tuck it away....got the coil mounts and battery tray fixed up... all it needs now to be on the road is a headlight mount.

Also, what do you guys think about this tank? Gonna try to get it patched up and mounted before the dixie round up...

Oh yeah got my 21 on the front now too...

#6 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Here's my stupid bike as it sits now... That's pretty much all it does right now is sit. It fired right up and rev'd up high for some reason and blew the headlight and taillight bulbs... then proceeded to idle down and act normal. I rode it down the street, but it had NO power at all. Somethings wrong but I don't feel like messing with it anymore tonight...

Did some exhaust work tonight...

#7 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

Made a few changes... Tried as hard as we could to get her to the round up but a bum igniter module was only firing one coil. Oh well I will have it up and running in the next few days. Look for updates and more pictures to come later this week.

For now here are a few photos of my bike with stinson's hoard of yamahas..

And the whole group...

#8 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

Something was wrong with the clear I used the other night. It was foggy or something so I wetsanded and re-cleared it this afternoon.

I can't get over how much better it looks now! Not too shabby for rattlecan.

#9 olds-cool

olds-cool

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Damn, you work fast. I really dig that sissy bar!
Opinions are like assholes. Everyones got one but some stink more than others.
QUOTE (Zonker)
I'm afraid they're queer as a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide

#10 Maxx

Maxx

Forum Monkey

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,858 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Damn, man, you don't screw around when put your mind to something, do you?

No matter what, it needs more rake.

#11 faulty_wiring

faulty_wiring

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

you do work quick, the bike took on a whole new look in a hurry. great job on that tank....well in general
Miguel

No matter what you ride, it's all the same wind.

#12 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Thanks guys! Replaced the faulty igniter and rode around the neighborhood and this thing pulls HARD! Never thought a 450 could be so much fun. I was wrong!

More pics and updates soon.

#13 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:21 PM

I think sooner or later the 30 year old wiring craps out and kills the stator and/or regulator/rectifier.

So I've decided to make a few changes... This motor:

Is going in the chopper:

But not before some cleaning and polishing:

Here's a good comparison:

Stripped it down to nothing, redid the battery tray, smoothed out a few things, and made a mount for new switches.

And then it got a few coats of paint

Much more to come tomorrow

#14 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

Didn't get much done today...

But it's back to a roller...

#15 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

It moves along so quick because I'm ready to ride! haha

Anyways made some more progress tonight... put the newer motor in, mounted seat, taillight, tag, and rear brake. Done for the night... Gonna be a busy week if this bike is gonna be ridden this weekend!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 WeakenedWarrior

WeakenedWarrior

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:57 PM

Kick ass bike you've got there. I dig the work you've been doing. Please keep us posted.

#17 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

Thanks!

Got my stator put in tonight. Took a little bit longer than I thought, but hopefully I'll finish up the wiring tomorrow night and maybe even get to ride it!

#18 crazy horse

crazy horse

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Hurry up and finish the fleetline! B)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
logic will get you from A to B - imagination will take you anywhere

#19 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

Crazy horse you would not believe how ready I am to get back to work on it!!!

Well we closed on the house today... Can't wait to get moved in and start using my garage!
Posted Image

#20 crazy horse

crazy horse

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:44 AM

Congrats on the new home. Yeah please post up some progress pics on the fleetline. They're such an awesome car........... and of course post the bike progress pics too. :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
logic will get you from A to B - imagination will take you anywhere

#21 Cromag

Cromag

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

Dig your bike man, makes me wanna chop into the gs250 chassis i got layin around...

#22 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:11 AM

Congrats on the new home. Yeah please post up some progress pics on the fleetline. They're such an awesome car........... and of course post the bike progress pics too. :rolleyes:

Thanks! And I'll definitely keep my thread updated on the H.A.M.B. '52 Fleetline Traditional Kustom Build

Dig your bike man, makes me wanna chop into the gs250 chassis i got layin around...

They clean up nice... I didn't build this frame, and honestly I'm not very happy with it... but I'm ready to get it on the road and ride! I'll be building a much cleaner frame with the extra gs chassis that I have just as soon as I get settled in the new house.

#23 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

Man it sure is nice to finally ride my bike...
Posted Image

#24 Weebel

Weebel

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

Damn man, that thing sure went through some changes.. pretty sweet.

What CC engine is that?
Posted Image

#25 mlc216

mlc216

Fouled Plug

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:33 AM

448cc's of raw power haha...

Here's the latest picture..
Posted Image

I rode my bike to work this morning.... and WOW. I never thought a little bike could be so fun. We stayed at our new house for the first time last night and I decided the bike was running well enough that I should give it a go... glad I did.
My commute is 24-25 miles of country back roads. I can go a few different ways, but every way but one has at least 1-2 miles of gravel road that I have to ride to short cut a little. This morning I chose a route that contained about 2 miles of gravel and I was a little worried about it, but I've raced mountain bikes for the past few years so how bad could it be? Actually it wasn't bad at all... It was pretty fun. During the commute I almost ran over a rabbit, dodged a few doves that were taking off, and passed a tractor. There are several curvy sections, but there are also several long straight sections with nothing but pasture on both sides. This little 450 opens up pretty nice! Man I can't wait to go home haha