11 replies to this topic

#1 toad72

toad72

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:11 AM

Okay a while back I came across a 1977 cb 550 and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. So the other day I came across and amen frame for a cb750 so my question is will a cb 550 motor fit in this frame without having to redesign it.

#2 cozee

cozee

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

It should being the 550 is smaller. Is it a soft tail? If so and you decide not to use it and want to get rid of it, please let me know.

SEMPER FI! NFNLB!! ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!!! III%er!!

#3 toad72

toad72

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

It's a soft tail.I haven't bought it yet I found it about 2 hours north of me and fell in love with it have always wanted one but wasn't sure how it would work on a 550. I'll keep in touch with you if I decide to go another route.

#4 rigidchop

rigidchop

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

I'm pretty sure the down tubes are spaced different, interference with the exhaust may be a problem.

#5 Chieltje

Chieltje

Fouled Plug

• Members Plus
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

if you fell in love you gotta go and get it.
worse case you need to get rid of the 550.

#6 toad72

toad72

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I know I think I must have it he's got the breadbox filter and oil tank and electrical box for the bike the frame is a little ruff but nothing a little TLC and paint can't take care of I did a little measuring off of some frame plans on the Hondachopper for a cb750 and the down tubes width on the plans are the same as the one's on my 550 so I'm going for it plus I found this sweet one that jpswino did a while back and your right worst case I got find a 750 power plant.

Attached Files

#7 myxscustom

myxscustom

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:35 PM

Looks awesome. Love them frames. If you need a motor i have 2 750 motors. Ones been hot rodded

#8 >T<

>T<

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

way dif as far as frame dimensions go.
Posted Image
LIFE IS SHORT... PRAY HARD

#9 Beatnik

Beatnik

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

If you are looking for pure looks this frame has ok handling in a straight line and slow gentle turns. If you ride very hard this one won't rock the twisters. The problem is; there is nothing as a pivot to hold the rear tire rigidly straight up and in line with relation to the front tire. The plungers ride up and down independently side to side in slider guides with the axle being the only interconnection between sliders , that causes frame guide binding and erratic rear tire movement. Compound that with little or no damp between the bounce and rebound springs makes a loose feeling wiggling pogo butt ride. Be sure to check for heavy guide wear and chrome flaking on the slider blocks before you decide this is the one to build. They looked great in the magazines but the very few I ever saw on the road were never leaders of the pack. Sorry to pit your chrome but that's my $.02 worth. Happy Motoring.

#10 jpswino

jpswino

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

Glad you liked the look of that bike. It was originally built by another guy. I just sweetened it up a bit and put a shift motor in it before selling it off. I'm on my third Amen Savior now and have put plenty of miles on these frames. I can tell you this, they are great! I really don't mean to piss in anyones cheerios but I have heard the negative remarks about how these frames handle from more than one person so obviously there must be some truth to the story. In my case these problems did not exist. I suspect weak springs (old ones) in back may have a bit to do with these stories. Yes the assessment is true in regard to how the suspension works but the end result is no where near the twitchy action as described with the ones I have ridden including Roadkill's and a few others on Hondachopper.com. When properly set up you can ride the piss out of an Amen Savior on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Roadkill and I did it side by side so I am speaking from experience. Is there a "feeling" the Savior has? Sure. But it's not anything that makes the bike "not handle".

As for riding it hard......you only need to see Roadkill ride his. I bet any guy on any bike would be hard pressed to ride the twisties as well as Roadkill does on a cb750 in any frame, period. My bike never held me back from keeping up with him either....just my own skill and a single drum brake.
Too busy to create another profile page so see here: http://jpswino.u.yuku.com/

#11 toad72

toad72

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the feedback on this guys but the guy wanted a 1000 dollars for the frame I thought that was a little much for a rough amen frame so I'm going to go another route with it. So I thinking about having Ardcore choppers build me a bobber frame for my cb 550 motor I like there stuff and there only 2 hours south of me. Wish I had the frame building skills of alot of you guy's on here but I know my limits. The sheet metal,wiring,painting,motor work is more in my wheelhouse.

#12 jpswino

jpswino

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,663 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

Should be able to find an Amen Savior for $400-$600 all day long. If you decide to go that route let me know.
I pass them up pretty regularly.
Too busy to create another profile page so see here: http://jpswino.u.yuku.com/